Lawn Care Forum banner

2021 Backyard Ice Rink

21K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  bosox_5 
#1 ·
So I figured I'd give the rink it's own thread this year instead of clogging up the cool season forum. Today we layed out the rink, rand the lines to determine the ice depth and painted lines for where we roughly want to put the boards. I'll probably start hammering stakes in this week.

Before:

Lines pulled

Painted

I always struggle getting perfect 90 degree turns, but because the boards are curved, there is a little wiggle room.

Dimensions are 72' x 24'. I wish I could go wider, but the slope prevents that. My high point of the rink will only get about a 1.5" of water on it for ice, but the "deep" end will get 13"+. The hight of the board is 16", so I wouldn't want to go any deeper, plus that is a lot of water. For those who are curious, it takes about 15-17 hours to fill the rink from the hose. Since I am on a well, I try and split it up over a couple of days when I see cold weather coming.

See less See more
#10 ·
San said:
Got me considering doing the same.

In your old ice rink topic you seem to be using some type of stands to hold up your boards. What are they?
Someone who's kids aged out of Ice Rink building gave me them. They are from Nice Rink

https://www.nicerink.com/category/nicerink-brackets/22?sortBy=relevance&page=1

#12 ·
The damage from the spikes in minimal. I get dead rectangles from where the bottom lies on the grass. It fills back in by early May. If you are putting a rink on your lawn you need something to support the boards because the water will try and blow them out. Before I had these brackets, I would just use wood stakes and hammer them in, but I wouldn't trust that unless the water depth was less than 10 inches.

#17 ·
Quick update to this is... no update. Winter isn't in full swing yet, but temps at the end of next week look promising. I picked up my poly sheeting (40x100) for $263 this year from a local hardware store that caters to builders. Normally it is around $220 so COVID prices are still in full effect.

#18 ·
I just checked my journal from last year and I am about 2 weeks past when we were skating last year...kind of a catch 22 as the temps here have been actually kind of decent, but that means no skating on the pond.

Good luck with getting everything flooded and the ice setting well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.