Lawn Care Forum banner

Stuofsci02 2022 - Award/Everest/Jackpot Reno 2022

45K views 549 replies 43 participants last post by  johnren 
#1 ·
After 3 months of snow cover, my yard is finally snow free. A day in the low 60s followed by a day in the 50s saw to that. My fist mow last year was March 25. That was early here. I expect I am still 4 weeks away this year. Late April is more typical.

The Award looks to have handled the winter great.. still reasonably green in fact with stripes from last mow still visible.

See less See more
#10 ·
Marzbar said:
@Stuofsci02 so what are you planning to do to it this spring?
Since the grass is young I will do a Urea App when it starts growing. I would not normally do this. I will be doing Pre-M and manually removing anything that shouldn't be there..

In mid/late May (weather dependent) I will probably do a rough sand level.

After that it will be my normal routine until fall... 1 lb N of a slow release in mid/late May (timed with the sand) and then light foliar urea + iron + PRG until mid/late August.

Thanks

Stu

#11 ·
Stuofsci02 said:
Marzbar said:
Since the grass is young I will do a Urea App when it starts growing. I would not normally do this. I will be doing Pre-M and manually removing anything that shouldn't be there..

After that it will be my normal routine until fall... 1 lb N of a slow release in mid/late May (timed with the sand) and then light foliar urea + iron + PRG until mid/late August.

Thanks

Stu
Are you going to aerate before or just add sand when you level in May?

#12 ·
livt0ride said:
Stuofsci02 said:
Marzbar said:

Thanks

Stu
Are you going to aerate before or just add sand when you level in May?
Just add sand.. I don't want to break my Pre-M barrier

#14 ·
Babameca said:
Another sandman.... welcome the to chore... :bandit: :bd:
BTW, as will be much better for your early spring app...the color response and controlled growth are unmatched by Urea
I am going to try to use my Lanzie spreader on the sand. See how it goes.

I need to find the AS... I don't have any.. I have a $hit ton of urea though...

#17 ·
Stuofsci02 said:
Marzbar said:
I get my AS from Setterington's Fertilizers in Leamington ON. But I'm not sure if they would ship it out.
Thanks... I think there are some places about an hour from me.. @Harts told me one a while back, but now I forget... I need to go do a pickup.. Get like 500 lbs...
I think All Turf carries AS. Kerry Whale: 905-512-3965 or kerry@allturf.ca.

I get Urea in Georgetown at Peel Landscape Depot. I also found another place somewhat closer to me in Caledon.

Haven't checked prices this year. Guess I should get a plan together!

#18 ·
Harts said:
Stuofsci02 said:
Marzbar said:
I get my AS from Setterington's Fertilizers in Leamington ON. But I'm not sure if they would ship it out.
Thanks... I think there are some places about an hour from me.. @Harts told me one a while back, but now I forget... I need to go do a pickup.. Get like 500 lbs...
I think All Turf carries AS. Kerry Whale: 905-512-3965 or kerry@allturf.ca.

I get Urea in Georgetown at Peel Landscape Depot. I also found another place somewhat closer to me in Caledon.

Haven't checked prices this year. Guess I should get a plan together!
Thanks... I am going to give him a call. I have a local Urea spot and have enough already for this year and next (this place is $21 for 50 lbs or at least it was at the end of last year). I still need to get my slow release for this year.

#21 ·
Marzbar said:
Is your slow release the stuff 9-2-2 from HH?
I used to use the 9-2-2 at my old house. It was economically feasible on 2,500 sq. ft.

Now that I'm almost at an acre, it doesn't make sense for me. Last year I used a 25-5-10 I found locally. I plan to use something similar this Spring.

After that, it's straight Urea or AS the rest of the season.

#22 ·
Harts said:
Marzbar said:
Is your slow release the stuff 9-2-2 from HH?
I used to use the 9-2-2 at my old house. It was economically feasible on 2,500 sq. ft.

Now that I'm almost at an acre, it doesn't make sense for me. Last year I used a 25-5-10 I found locally. I plan to use something similar this Spring.

After that, it's straight Urea or AS the rest of the season.
Yes agreed. The HH stuff I used only for my front 8,000 for one application. Even then it is only just over 1/2 lb N. Not great value, but for one app it is alright. The rest of the time I am using a 25-5-10 or a 30-0-8.. Then straight urea starting late August...

#23 ·
I am declaring today the start of my season. Used my Ego rotary sweeper to fluff up the grass and remove debris and then went for a charity mow. Finished last season at 3/4" so dropped to 5/8" to take off about 1/4". Got two baskets. I'm way behind last year on green up due to much colder weather and I assume also due to the turf being young.

Hopefully things will start cooking in the next couple of weeks.

#24 ·
Looks very promissing. You are right about all you stated. My 1st full season with the new grass started slow. I can see also snowmold, that will take time to recover. If you want to rock as early as now, a winter fungicide is your only option. It worked miracles for me last year.

#25 ·
Babameca said:
Looks very promissing. You are right about all you stated. My 1st full season with the new grass started slow. I can see also snowmold, that will take time to recover. If you want to rock as early as now, a winter fungicide is your only option. It worked miracles for me last year.
Snow mold is not bad actually…. Here is a top view. Very little snow mold…. Some vole damage mostly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.