Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Cool season member lawn journals
iowa jim
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am
Location: Waterloo,Iowa
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by iowa jim » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:40 am

Budstl wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:23 am
Looks great @iowa jim. Some nice density. I think you are ok to put milo down now at .25 or .5lbs since you are watering. I've done 2 apps of milo this month. Of course i waited to apply the 2nd app after that extreme heat.
I was thinking of doing that and i know you are right, I'm being a little over cautious as I'm still pretty new to lawn care and don't want to screw up my new lawn. I only have to wait a couple more weeks and barring any 100 degree heat waves i should be okay. thanks

User avatar
NoslracNevok
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:45 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
Grass Type: Converting to KBG monostand
Lawn Size: 15,000 sqft
Mower: McLane 20"
Contact:

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by NoslracNevok » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:28 am

Looks great, esp for July! The last pic I don't see any Mazama, the blades aren't as fine as Bewitched. Perhaps the Midnight and/or Bewitched out competed the Mazama?
Last edited by NoslracNevok on Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time flys like an arrow, fruit flys like a banana.

User avatar
JDgreen18
TLF Supporter
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm
Location: Ct
Grass Type: Front TTTF/KBG Back KBG
Lawn Size: 25000 SF
Mower: JD1025tlb, 130L Torosuper recy

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by JDgreen18 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:36 am

iowa jim wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:19 am
Im happy with the way it turned out and give credit to all the guys on here for there knowledge and helping a rookie out.


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Looks nice and thick...what is the hoc?
Bewitched, mazama, Bluebank, + SSS shade & sunny blend front...Hogans kbg mix in the back

iowa jim
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am
Location: Waterloo,Iowa
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by iowa jim » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:59 am

NoslracNevok wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:28 am
Looks great, esp for July! The last pic I don't see any Mazama, the blades aren't as fine as Bewitched. Perhaps the Midnight and/or Bewitched out competed the Mazama?
Thanks Koven: I don't know if thats what happened but i have the same amount of bewitched and mazama seed planted.

iowa jim
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am
Location: Waterloo,Iowa
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by iowa jim » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:11 am

JDgreen18 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:36 am
iowa jim wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:19 am
Im happy with the way it turned out and give credit to all the guys on here for there knowledge and helping a rookie out.


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Looks nice and thick...what is the hoc?
My HOC is 2.5" but will be lowering it in September to 1 3/4" as the weather cools. I can't believe how much it has thicken up this summer, i seeded at 2.5 lbs. and it seemed so thin that i thought i had made a mistake. Just have to have patience with KBG.

iowa jim
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am
Location: Waterloo,Iowa
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by iowa jim » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 am

Bump for pologuy

dacoyne
TLF Supporter
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 6:12 pm
Location: Southeastern PA Zone 6b
Grass Type: KBG front, back in progress
Lawn Size: 3000sq/ft
Mower: Toro GM 1000 + Echo 21 in. 58v

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by dacoyne » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Jim that looks amazing!

iowa jim
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am
Location: Waterloo,Iowa
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by iowa jim » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:52 pm

dacoyne wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:24 pm
Jim that looks amazing!
Thanks: It needs some N and iron apps wich it will be getting soon.

User avatar
g-man
Moderator
Posts: 8664
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 pm
Location: Fishers, IN
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by g-man » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:56 pm

@iowa jim How is the reno looking?

iowa jim
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am
Location: Waterloo,Iowa
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by iowa jim » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:04 pm

g-man wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:56 pm
@iowa jim How is the reno looking?
Frozen: I haven't had any growth for about two weeks now. I have been using carbon x, milorganite and feature apps and have been very happy with the results. HOC is 2". Thanks for asking and i have benn following your reno and it is looking great.

User avatar
g-man
Moderator
Posts: 8664
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 pm
Location: Fishers, IN
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by g-man » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:44 pm

No pictures before the snow?

iowa jim
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am
Location: Waterloo,Iowa
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by iowa jim » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:07 am

g-man wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:44 pm
No pictures before the snow?
There are some pics on the Iowa forum that are in October, they didn't come out very good for some reason. If i took a pic today it would be all white.

User avatar
social port
Posts: 3346
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:00 pm
Location: Middle Tennessee
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by social port » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 am

iowa jim wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:04 pm
I have been using carbon x, milorganite and feature apps and have been very happy with the results.
After really positive experiences with carbon x this year, I am currently thinking that the combo you mention above is the way I will be taking things next year. Carbon x plus a milo alternative plus an iron-based product (I am leaning towards something granular or a hose-end app).

If that snow happens to melt anytime soon, please grab your camera, good sir :thumbup:

iowa jim
Posts: 639
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:29 am
Location: Waterloo,Iowa
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Mazama
Lawn Size: 12,000 s/f
Mower: john deere x370

Re: Iowa Jim's reno 2018

Post by iowa jim » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am

social port wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 am
iowa jim wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:04 pm
I have been using carbon x, milorganite and feature apps and have been very happy with the results.
After really positive experiences with carbon x this year, I am currently thinking that the combo you mention above is the way I will be taking things next year. Carbon x plus a milo alternative plus an iron-based product (I am leaning towards something granular or a hose-end app).

If that snow happens to melt anytime soon, please grab your camera, good sir :thumbup:
I will if the snow stays away. I am leaving in a hour for 2 weeks for Missouri. One week bow and then a week rifle season.

Post Reply