ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: KBG, FF, PRG.
Lawn Size: 12.5 ksqft
Mower: 21" Murray, manual push, B&S

2018-08-31 - Baby Grass!

Post by ken-n-nancy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:20 pm

We now have baby grass!

Baby Grass on 2018-08-31:

Germination is really only visible in a few of the areas that had the most peat moss - presumably those areas retained moisture better than areas without the peat moss coverage. The bulk of the lawn did not have peat moss applied, but is instead relying upon the dead, scalped grass to provide some moisture retention. We've had success with that approach in the past, but it's always a bit nerve-wracking to be sowing seed into dead grass, never being quite sure if the seed is getting the right conditions to germinate.

I can't see any significant germination in the areas of old, dead grass, but am hoping there is some germination going on there that just can't be seen under the old grass.

With seasonably cool temperatures in the forecast for the coming Labor Day weekend (daytime highs in the 70s and overnight lows in the 50s) hopefully we'll get more germination and maybe enough growth from the baby grass that we'll be able to see those tender, young blades peeking up above the old, brown grass!

Below are the standard photos from this morning...

Mailbox View as of 2018-08-31:

Lamp Post View as of 2018-08-31:

Far End as of 2018-08-31:
Last edited by ken-n-nancy on Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ken-n-nancy

Re: Ken-n-Nancy's 2018 Front Lawn Renovation - "War on Triv"

Post by ken-n-nancy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:26 pm

SNOWBOB11 wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:23 am
Nice. Nothing like killing off the best lawn in the neighbourhood. Looking forward to updates on how it goes for you. Love the pavers that you installed too. Great idea to deal with the problem with the snow plow.
Thanks for the encouragement for the thread and the appreciation of the granite blocks. They were a lot of work but we like the way they look and they've held up well where we've installed them previously.
Vito wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:47 am
I can already tell this thread is going to be epic. Best of luck Ken-n-Nancy, I'm definitely following this one.
rob13psu wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:49 pm
This is going to be good. Following!
Oh boy, now the pressure's on to keep regular updates coming and hopefully have this renovation turn out to be a success!

In our prior renovations, washout from thunderstorms has been the bane of our efforts. Today is now the 7th day since seed-down, and, thankfully, still no rain. Yay!

If we can have 7 more days with no rain, we'll have no excuses!

llO0DQLE
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1800
Mower: Craftsman

Post by llO0DQLE » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Wow you guys have been busy! Looking forward to how this turns out. I know you've had challenges in the past - disease, damage etc. I'm hoping for a smooth sailing reno for you guys this time.

ken-n-nancy

2018-09-04 - Day 10 - Coverage Looks Hopeful!

Post by ken-n-nancy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:33 am

We were away for a 4-day Labor Day weekend, during which we trusted upon the automatic sprinkler system to take care of the baby grass and continuing seed germination. One of the first things Ken wanted to do, even with our 9pm return, was to rush outside with a flashlight and check to see how germination coverage is doing on the lawn! Seems hopeful!

Even more importantly, when we returned from our mini-vacation, we found that the rain gauge was still bone dry! No washouts so far this year! (Our past renovations have all endured significant washouts to complicate matters.) We've been very blessed by no rain in the 10 days since seed-down. Definitely a longer-than-average dry spell for late August in NH which has come at the perfect time for our front lawn renovation.

Coverage is looking pretty good. We clearly have good coverage in the previously bare areas. We seem to have pretty good germination in the thinner dead grass areas. It's hard to tell if we have good germination coverage in the thicker dead grass areas -- can't really tell if there's baby grass growing in there that just hasn't grown tall enough to get above the old dead grass, or if there's poor germination there. In any case, we'll just have to keep waiting and praying!
llO0DQLE wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:12 pm
Wow you guys have been busy! Looking forward to how this turns out. I know you've had challenges in the past - disease, damage etc. I'm hoping for a smooth sailing reno for you guys this time.
Thanks for the encouragement -- if our reno produces half the results that your spring renovation has this year, we'll be in great shape!

Now, the photos. First, a close-up of one of the bare spots, and then the standard three photos. It's easier to see the grass in the previously-bare areas, as the light green baby grass doesn't show up as well against the tan background of the old dead grass.

Closeup of Previously Bare Patch on 2018-09-04:

Mailbox View as of 2018-09-04:

Lamp Post View as of 2018-09-04:

Far End as of 2018-09-04:
Last edited by ken-n-nancy on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sinclair
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1500 sq ft
Mower: 21" Super Recycler

Post by Sinclair » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:27 am

Oh yeah, it's happening now! :banana:
America KBG
Blue Velvet KBG
Granite KBG
Shamrock KBG

ken-n-nancy

2018-09-07 - Day 13 - Looking Better, But Still Concerned About Thickest "Dead Grass" Sections

Post by ken-n-nancy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:18 pm

We're now just one day shy of 2 weeks. The "no rain" weather conditions have continued, although the last three days have been hot and humid for September in New Hampshire -- three days of highs in the low 90s, with overnight temps around 70F with a dew point around 70F, too! We did receive about 0.05 inches of natural rain last night, but that's really not enough to even count. So thankful that we've not had to deal with any washout issues this time around!

It's nice taking the photos every few days, as it helps us be encouraged with progress, and also lets us compare our status to that of prior awesome KBG renovations. (Yes @Pete1313, we're thinking of you!) Being able to compare what our lawn looks like now compared to what Pete's looked like at about the same time (Day 15 at viewtopic.php?f=27&t=436&start=220#p18020) is helpful to provide a reference point. In sum, it seems like we're on a similar pace, which is VERY encouraging to us!

It's still hard to tell if we have good germination coverage in the thicker dead grass areas -- we're going to presume that the new baby grass is there, nestled down in the old grass, partly because we don't know what we could do about it at this time anyway -- if the dead grass is too thick in those areas and has impeded germination, then just broadcasting more seed now over the top won't really help without clearing out more of the old dead grass, and there's no way we could clear out the old grass without killing any new baby grass that has germinated in those places! So, we're just going to stay the course that we're on, because the other options are all so unpalatable.

In any case, on to the photos...

Mailbox View as of 2018-09-07 (Day 13):

Lamp Post View as of 2018-09-07 (Day 13):

Far End as of 2018-09-07 (Day 13):

ken-n-nancy

2018-09-09 - Day 15 - Just a Photo Update

Post by ken-n-nancy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:09 pm

We're now just one day past 2 weeks. We've had two days of cooler temperatures (highs in the 70s-80s, with overnight lows in the 50s), and an even cooler night (mid-40s) forecast for tonight. We also have an anticipated rain deluge starting tomorrow afternoon, with forecasted rainfall of 2-3 inches in 24 hours. As a result, our impression is what has germinated is what we'll have and anything that hasn't germinated will likely wash away.

I'm still worried about coverage in the areas that had the thickest grass previously. It appears that I probably didn't clear out enough of the old grass in the previously-thickest sections. I mowed to 1.25" but that may not have been enough, at least for the areas that were very thick with dead grass. However, there is some new Bewitched + Prosperity spread sparsely throughout even those thick dead grass sections, so I'm hoping we'll be okay after spring spreading gets a chance. There definitely isn't anything more we can do about it now, anyway, so we'll just have to stay the course until spring. (Raking the dead grass out of those areas would rake out all the seedlings, too, so we can't do that, especially since we're basically out of time to re-seed with our average first frost being Sept 26.)

This photo update is primarily to provide comparison against other renovations at the 15-day mark.

Mailbox View as of 2018-09-09 (Day 15):

Lamp Post View as of 2018-09-09 (Day 15):

Far End as of 2018-09-09 (Day 15):
Last edited by ken-n-nancy on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Looks good!

Have you begun the high rate Tenacity/fine fescue suppression experiment yet? If so, what specifications are you using for your mix and application?
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

ken-n-nancy

2018-09-10 - Status of 'Experiment' of Tenacity to Remove Fine Fescue from Northern Mix

Post by ken-n-nancy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Green wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:29 pm
Have you begun the high rate Tenacity/fine fescue suppression experiment yet? If so, what specifications are you using for your mix and application?
Thanks for asking about the high rate Tenacity / fine fescue experiment. I've been delinquent in regard to posting about that, even though the experiment is ongoing and I have been taking some pictures along the way. I've also realized that I probably shouldn't have really called it an "experiment" as there's no scientific aspect to it -- no control, no separate patches with different application rates and intervals, and no careful measurements of relative success.

The quick summary is that the results so far have been not what I had expected. Nonetheless, I'll at least explain what I've done, and how it's going. I'll probably have to split my write-up into a couple different posts and might not be able to finish them all tonight.

The area being "experimented" upon is approximately 1500sqft on the "other side" of the driveway. This area was seeded in a northern mix (PRG, FF, KBG) in the fall of 2013. It is primarily shaded until about 9am in the morning, but gets good mid-day and afternoon sun. The area nearest the road gets the most sun.

Each spring the area nearest to the road develops significant bare spots from what I think is a combination of winterkill and road salt, primarily affecting the PRG as far as I can tell. These bare spots get filled in by KBG over the course of the spring and summer, so that by fall, there is an ever-increasing amount of KBG in that area, with the exception of patches of fine fescue, which go dormant in the summer. (The fine fescue in my lawn may look fragile and goes dormant in the heat of the summer, but it is one tough grass that doesn't seem to be killed by anything, and comes roaring back each fall once the temperatures cool off enough.) Accordingly, after five years, the area nearest to the road is primarily KBG, but still with a fair bit of fine fescue intermingled.

The issue I have is that during July and August, the fine fescue largely goes dormant, resulting in a brown "understory" of fine fescue below the thriving KBG grass that loves the New Hampshire summer. The effect this has upon the visual appearance of the lawn is that when I mow the lawn, the brown "understory" gives the lawn a brownish color. However, as the KBG grows taller in the days following mowing, the lawn looks pretty good right before it is cut. Below is a photo of the area right before mowing on July 27th of this year. Looking across the grass from this angle, all that is seen of most of the grass is the tips of the KBG. The brown "understory" of fine fescue is hidden, with the exception of some that can be seen right along the roadside cobblestones. (The fine fescue really can't stand the heat of that area, but doesn't get killed -- it just goes dormant waiting for fall.)

My plan, based upon having read various articles from about a decade ago concerning the tolerance (or lack thereof) of fine fescue to higher rate Tenacity applications, was, while applying the Tenacity to control listed weeds on the label, to also "thin out" the fine fescue in this section of my lawn by making two applications of Tenacity at 8oz/acre at a 14-day interval. I was seeking to make the first Tenacity application just as the heat of summer was ending (basically at "seed-down" time for a renovation) so that the fine fescue would get hit just as it was coming out of dormancy. The hope is that in addition to killing off traditional weeds, this would kill off much of the fine fescue, without adversely affecting the Kentucky bluegrass. This hope is largely based upon the study described in a study conducted at Washington State University a decade ago: http://turf.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/ ... eminar.pdf The relevant slide is #24, which is shown below.

There's also a similar relevant article, titled "Safety of Tenacity to Creeping Red Fescue Grown in the Northeastern United States" from the University of CT on page 46 of the following publication, which also shows significant injury to fine fescue in repeated heavier doses of Tenacity (two treatments of 5oz/acre at a 21 day interval): http://www.turf.uconn.edu/pdf/research/reports/2007.pdf
Last edited by ken-n-nancy on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Green

Post by Green » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 pm

Ok, because I am considering something similar, but slightly different conditions, and with several lower concentration apps starting in a few days and continuing for a month or so.

I am also considering adding Triclopyr for its reduction in the whitening, but I don't have any info on that...the advantages, downsides, or guidelines.

Based on my accidental kill of some fine fescue last year using Tenacity, I'm hoping it will thin it out.
Last edited by Green on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

ken-n-nancy

2018-09-11 - FF Thinning Experiment - Ongoing Status...

Post by ken-n-nancy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:06 am

A couple posts above, I described the plan for the "Fine Fescue Thinning Experiment." In this post is a summary of what has actually been done to date.

The date of my first application of Tenacity at 8oz/acre was August 24. My experiment was further complicated by a concurrent effort to fill in a couple depressions (sunk spots from prior tree removal) in this area, and also experiment with overseeding KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity 50/50 blend) in this area, just in case the FF-thinning attempts were wildly successful. As a result, this area would be getting frequently watered to allow for seed germination. In hindsight, I think this may have been a bad idea, as the increased watering for seed germination may have altered the effectiveness of the Tenacity application.

Below is the summary of actions to date:
  • August 24: Mowed (and bagged) to 2.75" (from normal HOC of 3.75"), overseeded KBG at 2#/ksqft, applied Tenacity at 8oz/acre. Commenced "germination watering" of 6 times a day for 7 minutes each time.
  • August 29: Mowed (and bagged) to 2.75"
  • Sept 4: Mowed (and bagged) to 2.75"
  • Sept 7: Mowed (and bagged) to 2.75". Applied Tenacity at 8oz/acre.
What have I observed? Well, first off, the reduction of the height of cut (HOC) from 3.75" to 2.75" made the lawn look pretty ugly, as it exposed the brown "understory" of fine fescue. Also, the "germination watering" tends to yellow the existing grass from being overwatered.

About 5-7 days after the initial application, I observed whitening of two patches of poa trivialis in the area being treated. I also observed sporadic, widely distributed partial whitening of some of the blades of KBG. I did not observe any whitening of the fine fescue. Fine fescue that had been brown was still brown. Fine fescue that was green remained green. These conditions continued until about 10-12 days, at which point the whitened turf started to show recovery to better color (both the poa trivialis and the KBG).

I still haven't observed any whitening of the fine fescue. I don't know if the fine fescue has a different apparent response to the Tenacity. Could it be that the dormant brown fine fescue just remains brown rather than recover or show whitening? I don't know and haven't been able to find this described in the articles I've found. In hindsight, I wish I had not done the concurrent overseeding with germination watering and wish I had not altered the HOC during the experiment. If I try this again next year, I would continue normal maintenance practices and have the application of the Tenacity be the only intentional difference. This is obvious, but when making multiple changes at one time, observed effects cannot be ascribed to any particular one of the changes.

I made the second (final) application of Tenacity at 8oz/acre on Sept 7; I have not yet observed further changes in the grass appearance, but am still a few days away from when I would expect to have observable effects. Photos are below.

2018-08-26: Day 2 after 1st application of Tenacity (image below)

2018-08-30: Day 6 after 1st application of Tenacity (image below)

2018-09-07: Day 14 after 1st application of Tenacity; Day of 2nd application (image below)

2018-09-09: Day 16 after 1st application; Day 2 after 2nd application (image below)
Last edited by ken-n-nancy on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:21 am

Green wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:41 pm
Ok, because I am considering something similar, but slightly different conditions, and with several lower concentration apps starting in a few days and continuing for a month or so.
Good luck! Please report what you try and how it works out for you. Given that I started to observe recovery of whitened grass (poa trivialis and KBG) about 10 days after the prior application, I would be inclined to make multiple applications at 10 day intervals, rather than my previously chosen 14 day interval. I'd also be inclined to try 3 applications of 5.3oz/acre, rather than the 2 applications of 8oz/acre that I did.
Green wrote:
I am also considering adding Triclopyr for its reduction in the whitening, but I don't have any info on that...the advantages, downsides, or guidelines.
I thought about adding Triclopyr with my applications of Tenacity to minimize whitening to desirable grasses. However, I was concerned that this would also lessen the intended injury to the fine fescue. Accordingly, I intentionally did not apply triclopyr. I haven't been able to find any good information on what the Tenacity+triclopyr combination would do to the fine fescue. As a result, I played the hunch that since triclopyr seemed to lessen Tenacity's effect upon KBG, that it would also lessen the effect upon the fine fescue.
Green wrote:
Based on my accidental kill of some fine fescue last year using Tenacity, I'm hoping it will thin it out.
Did your accidentally-killed fine fescue turn white after the application of Tenacity? Or did it just die out (turn brown) without first turning white?

I can't really draw final conclusions yet from my experiment this year. If the brown fine fescue never recovers but simply dies off, then this will have definitely thinned out the fine fescue a fair bit. We'll wait and see what happens in the next week or so now that the 2nd application has been made.

Given my preliminary observations, if I do this again, I would make the following changes to what I did previously:
  • Wait for the fine fescue to come completely out of dormancy. (i.e. start around Sept 10-14.)
  • Make 3 applications of 5.3oz/acre at 10 day intervals.
  • Keep my normal height-of-cut and watering practices.
Last edited by ken-n-nancy on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mrotatori
Grass Type: KBG reno of 4000 SQ fall 2018
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: John Deere l110

Post by Mrotatori » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 am

my day 14 of kbg ( 30% blue note, 30% bedazzled, 20% beyond, and 20% midnight ) looks very similar to yours. I am still seeing seeds germinate in areas that are bare. I had a lot of dead grass too. My front lawn is germinating in sections. It's a slow process. Everyday, I see more and more little baby grass, and coverage.

Day 1 Pic

Day 14 Pic

Day 17

Green

Post by Green » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:19 am

It's not clear to me exactly what Triclopyr might do.

As far as whitening, I'm not sure, but it seemed like the FF shriveled and died, and may not have gone white first.

The problem is that the FF that was green was planted a year before. The partly dormant stuff was old. However, I must have been at around 10oz per acre Tenacity concentration, because KBG was killed as well.

So not a direct comparison to your current or my current situation.

I have a side slope that's small, where the FF burns out and goes dormant in Summer. Last Fall, I overseeded with TTTF and KBG so I know there's enough other grass there. It came in very well. I will leave the FF alone near the trees, but I want to reduce it on the slope that burns out...it's not the right grass for the area.
Last edited by Green on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:49 pm

Mrotatori wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 am
my day 14 of kbg ( 30% blue note, 30% bedazzled, 20% beyond, and 20% midnight ) looks very similar to yours. I am still seeing seeds germinate in areas that are bare.
Our status does look very similar at the same time -- thanks for sharing your photos!

I'm still not sure if the problem in my "denser old grass" areas is lack of germination, or too little moisture on the seeds, or too much moisture on the seeds, or the seeds rotting away due to being too shaded, or ???

We've received a fair bit of natural, gentle rainfall in the prior 24 hours, so maybe that will help encourage more germination (or not...)

social port
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20K
Mower: Gravely ZT 42

Post by social port » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:26 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:49 pm
I'm still not sure if the problem in my "denser old grass" areas is lack of germination, or too little moisture on the seeds, or too much moisture on the seeds, or the seeds rotting away due to being too shaded, or ???
I'm growing KBG for the first time this year, and those questions circle my head about ten times every day. :D

Enjoying your thread, K-n-N :thumbup:

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:38 pm

No photo updates tonight (I usually take the pics in the morning before the sun gets high enough to get above the trees across the street), but I figured it was time for at least another status update.

I've had the irrigation turned off for the last 48+ hours, as we've been getting natural rain. I dumped 1.85 inches of rain out of the rain gauge tonight, which was probably about 0.6 inches of rain on each of Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, given the readings from our nearby airport.

That's more rain than I would have wanted, but the grass is sufficiently established in the bare areas that it's pretty resistant to washout at this point. Alas, I have seen standing water in the low areas following periods of heavy rain. Hopefully it hasn't remained flooded long enough to kill any of the baby grass.
Mrotatori wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 am
My front lawn is germinating in sections. It's a slow process. Everyday, I see more and more little baby grass, and coverage.
I'd been mostly giving up on some of my areas of "thickest dead grass," but having looked at the lawn a bit tonight after 2.5 days of rain, I think there is definitely more green showing in the "thickest dead grass" areas. Could be due to the extra rain, or maybe just a little extra time, or maybe a break from the prior heat, I don't know. Seems like Mrotatori's observation may be absolutely right that germination and initial growth is just proceeding at slower rates in those areas, but that we really shouldn't consider them a loss yet!
social port wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:26 pm
I'm growing KBG for the first time this year, and those questions circle my head about ten times every day. :D
Yup!

I'll try to take some pictures in the morning as I'm eager to compare the new pics to the prior ones to be able to better observe any progress!
Last edited by ken-n-nancy on Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g-man
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:58 pm

I think you should be fine from the rain. I had 5in on a slope and it survived. I think the thick areas have less seed to soil contact, so they lag. I like to remove the dead material but leave the roots.

ken-n-nancy

2018-09-13 - Day 19 - Another Photo Update

Post by ken-n-nancy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:45 am

Took some photos this morning after the total of nearly 2 inches of rain we had from Monday through Wednesday.

There is definitely continuing progress with green becoming the predominant color in more and more areas. The grass seems to have survived the rain and puddling pretty well. Most of the grass is standing up with the exception of the areas that were in puddles. Maybe we'll try to use the leaf blower to gently lift the grass in those areas, but we'll let the soil surface dry out a little more before walking on the grass.

I'll also need to decide if we should make any irrigation changes from our 6-times a day plan. Not yet sure about that.

Mailbox View as of 2018-09-13 (Day 19):

Lamp Post View as of 2018-09-13 (Day 19):

Far End as of 2018-09-13 (Day 19):

Mrotatori
Grass Type: KBG reno of 4000 SQ fall 2018
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: John Deere l110

Post by Mrotatori » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:14 pm

the last photo looks really good. The other areas are coming in. Did you do anything different in the preparation of the front section compared to the other areas?