TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 11K
Mower: Rotary and reel

Re: Work in Progress - AZ PRG

Post by mowww »

AZChemist wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:34 pm
Cyzmic is new to me. It was recommended to me by a pest professional.
I alternate between CY kick and Demon WP and delta dust in the block wall. During summer months I spray the house every 2 weeks and block walls monthly which I read is redundant due to absorption rate of unpainted block.
About 1.5 gal for exterior house. And 3 gallons for perimeter. They are so hard to completely get rid of.
I have zero insects other than ants but we can still find scorps at night. I hate it.
Night time direct spraying is something I’ll do before I go to bed in the summer a few nights a week. Most nights it’s nothing. Others I’ll find 3. For those of you not in the area. They literally glow under UV light. So armed with a black light you can easily spot them from afar.

I’d like to think my treatment is 100x more than what anyone else does.
I’ve never heard of Fendona till now but looking at the price I can see why it is not highly reviewed.
Understandable, I got a deal on a case when I lived in TX for scorpions if you want to try some vs. the others. I would get 2-3x the life vs. Cyzmic for scorpions and now I get about 1.5-2x days of control for mosquitos vs Suspend Polyzone and Cyzmic (I can't decide which I dislike more, mosquitos or scorpions). PM me if you want me to send you some - the 480oz. case might last me the rest of my life.

rickta24
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4000 sq ft
Mower: Honda rotary

Post by rickta24 »

I also live in the valley and am curious what your plans are for transitioning from PRG to Bermuda? Excellent looking lawn and congrats on LOTM!

Topic Author
AZChemist
Grass Type: Tifgrand
Lawn Size: 8,400
Mower: Flex21/JD2653

Post by AZChemist »

Temps are kissing 90 and the lawn is moving along. I have not fed it in weeks to slow down the growth. 2 weeks ago I got down some Prodiamine and will most likely put a 2nd dose this weekend. Fearful of crabgrass ruining my life again.
Even though this grass is at the end of its life cycle it got ~30lbs if 21-7-14 today. It was what ever was left in the bag and it at least cleared up some garage real estate.

@rickta24 As to the bermuda transformation. I plan on killing the PRG. Leveling with a Harley Rake. Drive around with my gator a few hundred times with a drag mat, trench and add another zone for the center of the yard (only 2 heads now) and lay down some TifGrand.

I plan on fixing the curbing that’s been lifted from roots along with a laundry list of other items, but my time has been better spent indoors the last few months. Good news is, I replaced my 1150 trencher with a larger RTX100. Every time I fix a section of drip line it busts somewhere else. Decided replacing everything will be my best option to keep my sanity.

Last edited by AZChemist on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

Was too late on the Prodiamine this year so I have goose everywhere. There was a ton of it last year when the yard was dirt but undestimated how many seeds it produced. Power raking and drag mat certainly didn’t help me out containing it to a section either.

Tenacity shows up today and will get put down with a 2nd dose of pre-em.

Fine tuning the rotarys to get the water where it needs it the most this morning.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

I sprayed the perimeter and spot treated areas with 3-Way and Quinclorac. The knock down has been great In comparison to my normal glyphosate. Don’t see myself ever going back.

Another hard knock learned this year is my PRG hates PGR. If applied to any area even remotely stressed the impact is detrimental. Applied at 0.25oz/K it is hit or miss with some areas. Another lesson learned is pre-em early In the year. I have some grassy weed now. My late season application of Prodiamine seemed to do nothing. Also, I’m going to apply at the higher end of the rate spectrum for longer coverage.

My procrastination cost me $60 for some tenacity and what will probably be 2-3 applications to get what ever weed it is out of the yard.

And lastly. Clippings. Wish I had put my buckets on the 2653. The clippings completely hide the stripping and make the real roller appear it’s HOC is higher than the front. I have the reels positioned to throw the clippings forward on the front, and backwards on the rear. They also have an affinity for the dogs paws as well and gets tracked inside the house.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

Yesterday 95. Today 75 and windy.
It’s starting to get stressed in areas despite longer waterings.
Next week I’ll begin verticutting and send her on her way to succumb to the inferno known as an AZ summer.
My now lack of care of survival has given me the opportunity to come out with the fam during the evening and practice my short game using a solar light as a makeshift golf pin ⛳️ . Just need to find a hole cutter now.
It’s been fun rye. Till next time.
Last edited by AZChemist on Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bradymco11
Grass Type: Tifgreen328/Tifway419
Lawn Size: 6500
Mower: Toro GM Flex21

Post by Bradymco11 »

AZChemist wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:17 pm

Another hard knock learned this year is my PRG hates PGR. If applied to any area even remotely stressed the impact is detrimental. Applied at 0.25oz/K it is hit or miss with some areas. Another lesson learned is pre-em early In the year. I have some grassy weed now. My late season application of Prodiamine seemed to do nothing. Also, I’m going to apply at the higher end of the rate spectrum for longer coverage.
That’s interesting. This was my first year doing PGR on PRG and it did awesome. I maintained 0.45” HOC all winter only mowing once a week. I quit applying PGR in early April and started transition to Bermuda in mid April though. I wonder if your PGR stress just came from the 90 degree heat rather than the PGR.

Regardless, yours is looking awesome. Looking forward to seeing how this summer goes.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

PRG is back, but this time overseeded in Tifgrand. There is still a few thousand more square feet of bermuda to lay and have tentatively set a install date for the 2nd week of November. The bermuda will be overseeded as well and the yard will probably look weird all winter long, but o well.
Aeration will happen this weekend and 6 tons of sand will be leveled out for a sod bed.
With a tile saw blade on the edger I’ll cut the existing grass edge as straight as possible so the sod will mate Cleaner.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

The grind continues with changing out a few heads before I lay the sand bed and level.
Before I aerate I will blanked a generous amount of Prodiamine and gly to save the spring time headache.
The rye/Tifgrand got another light dose of 21-7-14 at 0.5/k for the last time before switching to AMS.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

Busy weekend. Edges of Tifgrand were cut, Aerated, and then added 6 tons of sand.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

Temps have been holding at high 80’s and only dipping into the 60’s at night allowing the rye to really take off. A week ago we were getting into the high 30s at night and it came to a quick halt.

Here is yesterday’s cut at 0.48”. The diagonals would have looked better as doubles but it was getting dark. The on/off switch to my flex is intermittently grounding out so it made it made it difficult to get going yesterday.

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: JD 220E, Toro Recycler

Post by SNOWBOB11 »

Wow that looks crazy good.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

Thank you. It took a ton of work to get it where it is today. The Reno is highlighted in my warm season journal.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

It’s a week late but 3400sqft of sod was just delivered as I was finishing up spraying 1oz/k of Prodiamine with a little bit of quinclorac. The Tifgrand is overseeded. Wet. And heavy. Should make for a fun morning tomorrow.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

Wasn’t an easy day but all the sod made it down. I am only 5 pieces short which I’ll pick up Saturday. Tomorrow I’ll roll and throw 21-7-14 at it. Can’t wait till summer to further level it.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

The new sod received its first cut and has been about 10 days since it was laid. After the first feeding and a heavy few inches of rain it took off to 4+ plus. This made it difficult to get the wet canopy down to 1” with a time master and a failing engine. Took 2 days and 2 trash bins to get it down enough to reel mow.

Still super choppy, but the reel mower should flatten it out a bit over the next few months till I can verticut it and level with sand.

This week has more rain in the forecast so the sod to the right will get some more 21-7-14 to help drive those roots down. Without the bermuda growing it’s kinda just heavy wet carpet out there until the rye barely bites in.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

The flex received a long over due backlap today. New motor for the timemaster shows up tomorrow, and 10 left over pounds of PRG was thrown down over the new sod. Doubt it will grow but was worth a try. Also, ordered some Ferrous Sulfate and am going to give FAS a try. Rain is in the forecast but if thanks giving is free it will get sprayed down then.

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

I bought a Timemaster second hand sight unseen. Quickly I found out why it was so cheap. In addition to needing a handful of parts the motor smoked terribly. The 8.75hp engine seemed like a waste of time so I picked up a 10hp on eBay. Night and day difference. Wish it went a little lower. I have it dropped basically dragging the deck on the ground.
Now, the mower is enjoyable and has tons more power. She’s a little rough but one of these days I’ll get it powder coated.

Also, I sprayed FAS and PGR a few days ago. It noticeably made a difference on the new so. Not so much on established turf. I’m trying to get the sod to green up without pushing more N. Spraying FAS will definitely be in my rotation.

Last edited by AZChemist on Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jabopy
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All sorts (not sure)
Lawn Size: 3456ft 321m
Mower: 214tc Husky, Honda 536.

Post by jabopy »

Great looking lawn!! The new section is coming on well. What size are the rolls of turf (sod) you layed,they look bigger and heavier than the ones I get over here.?

Topic Author
AZChemist

Post by AZChemist »

They are 5x2’ and weigh 45-60lbs depending on how wet they are.