Lawn Care Forum banner

Mowww's Lawn Journal ('21 starts on pg 7)

42K views 283 replies 44 participants last post by  steffen707 
#1 ·
I will be posting updates here for my lawn, equipment, scheduling, and applications. TTTF/KBG mix in North central US.

I have a Swardman arriving next week. Have been using a Masport Rotorolla 21. I am also working to copy Connor Ward's sprayer with the final piece of the project (tank) arriving in March. Thanks for the thorough walk through.

Here are photos from last year from April, June, and November plus a dog tax.

See less See more
#2 ·
I spend a lot of time on the road so I will be experiementing with Trinexapac-ethyl this year to save me from coming home to a jungle. Do any of you utilize the GDD tracker on the Greenkeeper App? (greenkeeperapp.com)

#4 ·
g-man said:
I do and I also track it with my log file.
Thank you! I have tried using scripts from my personal station on weather underground and have encountered inconsistency when trying to tie in with PenderSuper's weather dashboard. I am going to give yours a shot.

#6 ·
pennstater2005 said:
Very nice!
Thanks! I wish I could get my KBG as dark as your rye. I am trying but it's been slow even with consistent overseeding of rye and pushing iron.

#7 ·
Things are about to get reel low. But first we're about to get 8" of snow on top of last night's ice.

#8 ·

Brought it down to the basement til things warm up. Quick to setup and change cartridges. Everything looks ready to go from @Reelrollers . Stripped a machine screw on the top cover a little too easily but other than removing and replacing that screw the construction seems solid and high quality. It is so quiet that the neighbors won't even know I'm mowing - might be my favorite feature of all.

#10 ·
BakerGreenLawnMaker said:
mowww said:
I will be posting updates here for my lawn, equipment, scheduling, and applications. TTTF/KBG mix in North central US.

I have a Swardman arriving next week. Have been using a Masport Rotorolla 21. I am also working to copy Connor Ward's sprayer with the final piece of the project (tank) arriving in March. Thanks for the thorough walk through.

Here are photos from last year from April, June, and November plus a dog tax.

Dude.... you're lawn looks amazing! Keep it man!
Thank you!

#11 ·
Here are a few images from last year.

This is 4 weeks after installing irrigation. Primarily PRG seeded. You can see the dark color in the back yard picture of the newly sprouted PRG.

After working to get it all filled in for a couple months:

I figured out why my edges were drying up

I could use a plan to improve my drainage

I love a clean edge

#12 ·
I bolted a cut-down mudflap to my Exmark 30" to act as a striper. We'll see how it performs, I will post pictures.

#13 ·
For 2018 my fiancée and I decided that we'd give wildflowers a shot in the raised bed for some season-long color instead of planting tomatoes. We had a good number of pollinators buzzing around all season and it required minimal effort from start to finish.

#16 ·
Thank you, both!

I was fortunate to have a pretty full lawn upon move in two years ago. Here's the lawn upon arrival:

#17 ·
I did some work the other day for a neighbor verticutting with my Swardman Electra 55. The machine had plenty of power to chew through some thick plant matter. I have begun to verticut without the catcher installed and opted to use my Exmark 30 to collect since its catcher is larger. You can see the property lines pretty well, so I guess it did a pretty good job. Quiet, powerful, and long lasting even at the high rpm for verticutting.

#18 ·
Snow and sleet outside today, hopefully it is winter's last breath.

I spent some time in the garage after work configuring a foam marker for my drop in sprayer. I used a 12v air pump typically used for live wells. At first I tried 1/4" hose that came with the pump as the foam-outlet hose as well as the air inlet hose. The 1/4" worked well for the inlet but I stepped it up to 3/8" hose for the outlet and got much better results. It needs a little love and finishing touches but I am excited to put down some my nutrition with it this year and hopefully get my overlaps just right.

I have left and right shut offs and utilized an old Finch wireless switch since I haven't had great luck with handlebar mounted switches so far.

Reactions: al0629
#19 ·
Applied my 35-0-5 180 duration w Acelepryn and Dimension last week.

Mowed for the first time with my Swardman:

#21 ·
@jabopy Thanks! Nothing better than a happy dog to certify your lawn as an enjoyable place to be a pancake. Got any flat dog pics you can share?

#22 ·
I used about 300 lbs of sand to smooth my transitions from lawn to sidewalk/driveway/patio. Just poured it on and brushed in until my heels and toes couldn't feel a difference on the edges. Hopefully this will make use of the reel mower easier along the edges.

#24 ·
Thanks, @Shindoman .

Today I helped a neighbor dethatch with the verticut cartridge then aerated 5" deep in a heavy wear area that also has poor drainage (see previous photo from side of shed). I did a poor man's version of a drill and fill. Pulled cores, cleaned up cores, then spread 150lbs of sand focusing on the holes. Finally I swept with the brush cartridge on my Electra.

Here are a few photos with before and after sweeping:

#25 ·
Today I brought it down to 1 inch and trimmed off the brown winter tops with the Swardman. This thing is a lot of fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.