Warm season grasses like Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine, Centipede & Paspalum
Topic Author
softwire
Grass Type: Unknown
Lawn Size: 31286
Mower: John Deere Z515E

New to the Forum. Advise on my Lawn.

Post by softwire »

My wife and I recently purchased a house with .85 of an Acre. We have never owned a house with a lawn before so this is all new to me. I have the mower situation handled now but our yard is a mess. There is a rectangle brown spot in the back yard that has been there since we moved in a month ago. Not sure what happened there. The spot is about 10 feet off the house. The yard has no trees and no shade other than a little from the house during the day. The Invisible Fence guy commented that our yard had a lot of crab grass and weeds but at least its a yard. I tried to do some research on google to figure out what I could do to help the lawn grow better next year and to have as little crab grass as I could but I got rather confused. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on what I should do. I had been looking at Fall Season Weed and Feed but I don't have any experience. We Live in the upper part of North Carolina.

01Bullitt
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Cub Cadet LTX 1045

Re: New to the Forum. Advise on my Lawn.

Post by 01Bullitt »

Welcome to TLF & congratulations on your new home. To take care of the crabgrass apply a pre-emergent next spring in early March. I like prodiamine and I spray mine with a battery backpack sprayer. You can find a granular version if you prefer to spread. Spreading will be easier if you are new to lawn care. You can start fertilizing your yard now if you have mostly fescue. Fall is the best time of the year to fertilize a cool season grass like fescue. If you have bermuda grass then it is a warm season grass and is fertilized in late spring when it begins to green up from being dormant. Post some pics if you can with some close ups of the grass and it will help us to determine what type of grass you have. Upper NC, what town or county? I’m located in the Mebane area.

Topic Author
softwire

Post by softwire »

Thank you. Weeksville NC is where we are. Ok so early march next year spread the pre-emergent awesome. I'll take some quality photos later today and post them.

Topic Author
softwire

Post by softwire »

I took some pictures of the lawn and the weeds I have.

Grass Pictures - I looked around and tried to find a spot that didn't have weeds to hopefully get a good picture of the grass.

Weeds - Different types of weeds in the yard.

01Bullitt

Post by 01Bullitt »

From the pictures and the fact you live on the coast of NC it appears you have common bermuda grass. I do see a lot of crabgrass along with other weeds. The bermuda will need to be fertilized next year when it comes out of dormancy. I will tag @Ware to see if he can move this to the warm season subforum where you will get better visibility and help.

Topic Author
softwire

Post by softwire »

Awesome Thank you.

01Bullitt

Post by 01Bullitt »

You're welcome.

BigTlawn
Grass Type: Bermuda
Mower: Toro Super Recycler

Post by BigTlawn »

I know not everyone is a fan but this is a good video to help you get started in the right direction and then as you learn more and get more advanced there are other methods and better products but this helped me go from what you had to something you can start to fine tune.

This is part 1 after that continue to follow the videos.

MasterMech
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,000sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen GK526a

Post by MasterMech »

@softwire I'm seeing a bunch of dandelion and perhaps dollar weed. Perhaps a bit of crabgrass and spurge mixed in. Most of that looks like it'll succumb to a season of the Bermuda Bible and the Bermuda Triangle.

You will be shocked how fast the Bermuda fills in and takes over the weeds once you reduce the initial weed pressure and start pushing nutrients to it. Get ready to mow!

Topic Author
softwire

Post by softwire »

Thank you all for the advice and links. I will review everything you’ve given me. I like to do a lot of research on everything I do so this is perfect. I’ll look forward to lots of mowing. As a kid I hated mowing the lawn (push mower on the farm). Now that I’ve bought a house and have the zero turn I can’t get enough.

Bombers
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4200
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Bombers »

Take in everything you can but if you're going to put down anything right now, you should put down a pre-emergent to prevent winter weeds from slowing down your bermuda next spring. Spraying is the way to go for your real estate size(more economical, better control/coverage), but a granular product (ala Lesco Stonewall 0-0-7) from box store would suffice for now.

Also, you said you have .85 acres but measure out your actual usable turf. You can do it manually or use an online tool for a fairly accurate estimation.
Last edited by Bombers on Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

Yeah I wouldn’t worry about any of that, and just put down a pre emergent now. That’s quite the salad bar, and the cold will eventually take care of majority of it for the time being.