FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Re: 2021 College Football Season

Post by FATC1TY »

Ware wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:38 am
Louisiana is a hotbed for recruiting. My guess is he has seen Saban, Miles and Orgeron win championships there - and he is arguably a better coach than 2 of those 3.
I agree. He wants to win a championship, and he’s gotten into the situation that affords him that opportunity. I’m sure the money doesn’t hurt though.

Topic Author
Amoo316
Grass Type: Centipede/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2acres
Mower: Scag Cheetah II 61"

Post by Amoo316 »

I don't think there's any doubt LSU is a better job in today's college football landscape then ND is. I think it was a smart career move for Kelly, still chasing a ring. I just think his leash would have been a little longer in Norman if he gets off to a bad start. He could easily go from people talking about him as one of the best ND coaches of all time to jobless in 3 years.

LSU is one of the only programs with a tighter leash than UF and it doesn't take much. None of us are denying Kelly is a good coach. Question will be is he good enough to beat Saban/Jimbo/Kiffin/Leech/Harsin/Pittman and Napier all in the same season with LSU's talent, then potentially get by Napier or Smart in a title game.

I'm just not sure his style of coaching is going to fit. We'll see I guess. If he gets the kids to buy in, he's got a shot. That's the part that worries me though with him. Especially coming from a guy like O.

bosox_5
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG/PRG northern mix
Lawn Size: 19,000
Mower: John Deere D110

Post by bosox_5 »

I’m not ready to talk about it yet. I will say, it sort of says the quiet part out loud. College football exists to make money for the people that run college football. It isn’t for national championships or anything else. Leaving while still a contender for the NC sucks. Hearing the CFP chairman say that a coach leaving will affect the decision sucks. Reminds me of when Bill Parcells wanted peace out on the Patriots before the Super Bowl.

Topic Author
Amoo316

Post by Amoo316 »

bosox_5 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:29 pm
I’m not ready to talk about it yet. I will say, it sort of says the quiet part out loud. College football exists to make money for the people that run college football. It isn’t for national championships or anything else. Leaving while still a contender for the NC sucks. Hearing the CFP chairman say that a coach leaving will affect the decision sucks. Reminds me of when Bill Parcells wanted peace out on the Patriots before the Super Bowl.
I get you. To me it's all part of the same pattern. Sneaking out the back door of 2 programs now, sending a kid up in a lift in very high winds, athletic trainer "unknowingly" helping 8 players, liking a "FireVanGorder" tweet from some random a week before he actually made the move, putting his players on blast publicly multiple times....etc.

Yeah the program got better under Kelly, and yes LSU is a better job, but ND can do better than Kelly. I still think you guys are not going to get jumped by Baylor if they beat OKST. I think you'll be fine.

bosox_5
TLF Supporter

Post by bosox_5 »

My friends kinda hate me because I thought he should have been fired as soon as Declan Sullivan died. As cynical as we can get, he was still an adult in charge of essentially children and one of them died. I couldn't imagine being a member of the Sullivan family, they have more grace than I can ever imagine. If he left after the playoff, or even after the committee had set the playoff, fine... but he screwed those kids again and I hope people saw that.

Fun fact. BK and I are both alumni of the same high school. If I know the folks of Louisiana, they love Prep school kids from Massachusetts.

Topic Author
Amoo316

Post by Amoo316 »

bosox_5 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:11 am
Fun fact. BK and I are both alumni of the same high school. If I know the folks of Louisiana, they love Prep school kids from Massachusetts.
LOL.

Yeah I don't want to get too far into the weeds of the Sullivan situation, but I agree with you 100% and will leave it there.

If I'm any of the coaches recruiting against LSU, I have a lot of ammunition against Kelly on the recruiting trail, "you really think he's going to be there all 4 years if a better opportunity for him comes up," would be the top of my sales pitch.

bosox_5
TLF Supporter

Post by bosox_5 »

Marcus Freeman, lets go. Telling that none of BK's assistants went with him even though they were offered, and offered substantial pay raises.

Topic Author
Amoo316

Post by Amoo316 »

bosox_5 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:31 am
Marcus Freeman, lets go. Telling that none of BK's assistants went with him even though they were offered, and offered substantial pay raises.
Serious question, why is Marcus Freeman an exciting hire? Y'all are better than an assistant coach with no HC experience. Is Freeman THAT much better than Lea who left for Vandy last year?

I agree with your premise though of none of his Assistants going with him.

bosox_5
TLF Supporter

Post by bosox_5 »

The fact that the staff stays (and the next two recruiting classes) is a big part of it. I have only heard good things about Freeman and frankly if we hired Fickle, he would have probably been the head coach at Cincy. He is an up and comer and the players, administrators, alumni, and boosters all seem to be on board with this. Coaches are always a crapshoot, and I’m willing to give this guy a chance.

wiread
Grass Type: Northern blends
Lawn Size: 2 acres
Mower: Ferris SRS Z2

Post by wiread »

I think Freeman is a good hire and ND fans are going to be happy with him.

Topic Author
Amoo316

Post by Amoo316 »

bosox_5 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:04 pm
The fact that the staff stays (and the next two recruiting classes) is a big part of it. I have only heard good things about Freeman and frankly if we hired Fickle, he would have probably been the head coach at Cincy. He is an up and comer and the players, administrators, alumni, and boosters all seem to be on board with this. Coaches are always a crapshoot, and I’m willing to give this guy a chance.
That's a really strong argument and I agree with a lot of it. I'm taking a similar approach to Napier. I just think that 4 years of HC experience for Napier and 5 for Fickell make a world of difference. Kelly has the program in a good spot. You can feel good about saying Fickell would keep it there if not improve it. On the other hand, a guy like Freeman could go Will Muschamp and be one of the best D-Coords in the country and the team be lousy.

I just think ND would have a harder time crawling out of that hole with how the landscape is changing.

bosox_5
TLF Supporter

Post by bosox_5 »

Fickle and Freeman have essentially the same background. Fickle was Freemans position coach at Ohio State and then worked with him at Ohio State, left for Kent and Purdue, then back to him at Cincy. My guess is that someone made the calculation that the disruption to the program right before the CFP committee is dealing with our fate was not worth pursuing Fickle who may or may not be an upgrade. Freeman could be a bust... or he could be great. Signs point to him being a good coach/recruiter, so I think its worth the flyer. The only thing I can compare it to is when the Red Sox handed the keys to a young Theo Epstein and everyone freaked out because he was only 28. Turns out age doesn't matter if you are ready. (I say this fully aware that the guys without head coaching experience don't do well at ND, I was there for the Bob Davie years).

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3.5 acres
Mower: JD Z994R (72”)

Post by Ware »

Oregon is getting destroyed by Utah. Again.

jlegs80
Grass Type: Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1/3 Acre
Mower: Toro 22" Personal Pace

Post by jlegs80 »

Ware wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:45 pm
Oregon is getting destroyed by Utah. Again.
Whittingham is a witch

jlegs80
Grass Type: Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1/3 Acre
Mower: Toro 22" Personal Pace

Post by jlegs80 »

wiread wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:55 pm
I think Freeman is a good hire and ND fans are going to be happy with him.
I do too. He was a guy I was hoping we could get next year.

FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

Georgia looking classic……..

pennstater2005
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 15,000 sq ft
Mower: Rotary

Post by pennstater2005 »

Oh Georgia.
"Perfection, like infinity, is unobtainable, even at places like Augusta. It's the journey toward the goal that holds all the fun, joy, and reward." - dfw_pilot

Lawn Fertilizer Calculator

Credit

bosox_5
TLF Supporter

Post by bosox_5 »

Things were looking to break right for my guys after that Baylor game, but Georgia…. Ugh.

GoDawgs
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Front Bermuda/ Back Zeon
Lawn Size: 6800
Mower: TruCut C27

Post by GoDawgs »

Leave it to the damn Dawgs…. We have a lot of work to do if we want to win another game this year. Wow that one was painful to witness. Luckily my ticket was free but I feel for those who paid top dollar for that embarrassing performance by UGA.

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3.5 acres
Mower: JD Z994R (72”)

Post by Ware »

You and me @pennstater2005. Outsideback. :lol: