Congrats to the winners of the TLF Spring 2019/4,000 Member Giveway!

Grub Control

A place to discuss DIY pest control
Mark102
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Location: Vermont
Grass Type: Rygrass, fescue, kbg
Lawn Size: 7500
Mower: 22" Craftsman mulcher

Re: Grub Control

Post by Mark102 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Went out in the yard and gathered a few soil samples to be sent off. Found this little guy in my first sample. I have never seen them in my soil but it might explain why my lawn has never really come around no matter what I do. I will get some grub ex and put it down. Does soil or air temp matter? I'm in Vermont and we are stll seeing 40F soil temps and 50-40 daytime temps.
Image

User avatar
g-man
Moderator
Posts: 6070
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 pm
Location: Fishers, IN
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: Grub Control

Post by g-man » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:58 pm

The first post on this thread has a MSU website with their recommendations.

tl;Dr Grubex at green up.

Mark102
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Location: Vermont
Grass Type: Rygrass, fescue, kbg
Lawn Size: 7500
Mower: 22" Craftsman mulcher

Re: Grub Control

Post by Mark102 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:46 pm

Will Dimensions have any affect on Grubex or vise versa?

osuturfman
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:03 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG, PR
Lawn Size: 291 acres
Mower: Many

Re: Grub Control

Post by osuturfman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Mark102 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:46 pm
Will Dimensions have any affect on Grubex or vise versa?
None

Mark102
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Location: Vermont
Grass Type: Rygrass, fescue, kbg
Lawn Size: 7500
Mower: 22" Craftsman mulcher

Re: Grub Control

Post by Mark102 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:47 pm

osuturfman wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:37 pm
Mark102 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:46 pm
Will Dimensions have any affect on Grubex or vise versa?
None
So it doesn't matter which one I put down first or how far apart I apply them?

User avatar
g-man
Moderator
Posts: 6070
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 pm
Location: Fishers, IN
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: Grub Control

Post by g-man » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:50 pm

Nope. You can do them back to back.

Mark102
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Location: Vermont
Grass Type: Rygrass, fescue, kbg
Lawn Size: 7500
Mower: 22" Craftsman mulcher

Re: Grub Control

Post by Mark102 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:11 pm

g-man wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:50 pm
Nope. You can do them back to back.
Thank you! I appreciate the help.

TN Hawkeye
Posts: 815
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 3:26 pm
Location: East Tennessee
Grass Type: Fescue/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Re: Grub Control

Post by TN Hawkeye » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Greendoc wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:34 pm
Make sure it is Carbaryl. I saw bags and bottles labeled "sevin" that were actually Zeta-Cypermethrin.
I just watched How To With Docs grub killing video and the new Anderson’s product he is pitching list carbaryl as one of the AI (at least he states in the video that it is). I wonder if it is actually the newer AI you guys are talking about.

Edit- I just checked it on Amazon and it lists 2.3% Carbaryl.
Last edited by TN Hawkeye on Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

TN Hawkeye
Posts: 815
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 3:26 pm
Location: East Tennessee
Grass Type: Fescue/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Re: Grub Control

Post by TN Hawkeye » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Sometimes stupid decisions can turn out to be a benefit. At my old house I had a small yard and didn’t need a big spreader so I bought the Scotts Snap spreader. One the the local close out places in town had the Scotts Grubex in the Snap bags for 11.99 for 4000 square feet of coverage. Has the same AI as the stuff at Lowe’s and cost about half. Got enough to do my 8000 square foot front yard for $24.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

User avatar
g-man
Moderator
Posts: 6070
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 pm
Location: Fishers, IN
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: Grub Control

Post by g-man » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:05 pm

TN Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:51 pm
Greendoc wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:34 pm
Make sure it is Carbaryl. I saw bags and bottles labeled "sevin" that were actually Zeta-Cypermethrin.
I just watched How To With Docs grub killing video and the new Anderson’s product he is pitching list carbaryl as one of the AI (at least he states in the video that it is). I wonder if it is actually the newer AI you guys are talking about.

Edit- I just checked it on Amazon and it lists 2.3% Carbaryl.
No. Carbaryl is a curative product not a preventive. It is listed in the MSU article in the first post of this thread.

Scagfreedom48z+
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:12 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Re: Grub Control

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:29 am

I was thinking about spraying a low dose curative application of Dylox 420 SL to my lawn today. We are expecting a good soak overnight into tomorrow am. Would it be better if I hold off on the application? It does need to be watered in or have a wet layer of thatch/top soil. I’m just concerned that we might get a down pour rendering it ineffective.

“ After application (on the same day), irrigate with suf- ficient water to thoroughly wet the remaining thatch and top layers of the soil. If sufficient rainfall to thoroughly wet the thatch and top layers of soil occurs after application and prior to irrigation, further irrigation is not re quired. Under dry conditions, pre-water prior to application for optimum control of white grubs and weevil larvae.”
Last edited by Scagfreedom48z+ on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

440mag
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:15 am
Location: WesternNC
Grass Type: Blend tall fescues
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: JD X580

Re: Grub Control

Post by 440mag » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:26 am

Excellent reference:
Does Imidacloprid Reduce Defoliation by Japanese Beetles on Linden for More Than One Growing Season?
http://joa.isa-arbor.com/request.asp?Jo ... 017&Type=2


After our smashing success using Milky Disease Spore (just once , back in 2015!) to completely wipe out the Jap Beetle grubs once under our turf, our doing root drenches around the trunk of all ornamentals using Fertilome Tree and Shrub Insect Killer has been the “one-two punch” as far as killing the grubs that fly to our place from elsewhere! :thumbup:
Last edited by 440mag on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
When it comes to everything, anytime I edit anything it is always because I forgot something! ;)

User avatar
g-man
Moderator
Posts: 6070
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 pm
Location: Fishers, IN
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: Grub Control

Post by g-man » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:22 am

@Scagfreedom48z+ do you have a grub problem that needs a curative ? Some of the curative are like a nuclear option and kill more than just grubs.

Scagfreedom48z+
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:12 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Re: Grub Control

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:10 am

g-man wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:22 am
@Scagfreedom48z+ do you have a grub problem that needs a curative ? Some of the curative are like a nuclear option and kill more than just grubs.
That’s the thing. I don’t see any visible issue. I’m just overly concerned with an outbreak of grubs. I have both dylox and imidacloprid for use. I was going to put down a low rate but wanted to get insight on it.

440mag
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:15 am
Location: WesternNC
Grass Type: Blend tall fescues
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: JD X580

Re: Grub Control

Post by 440mag » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:26 pm

g-man wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:58 pm
The first post on this thread has a MSU website with their recommendations.

tl;Dr Grubex at green up.
It doesn’t get much better than that reference piece in Post #1 this thread. MSU “updates” it annually; however; nothing of any real substance has changed over last several years. It is indispensable for determining whether a curative or preventative is needed and, either way which to use, etc.

Best o’ Success!
When it comes to everything, anytime I edit anything it is always because I forgot something! ;)

Scagfreedom48z+
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:12 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Re: Grub Control

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:03 pm

440mag wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:26 pm
g-man wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:58 pm
The first post on this thread has a MSU website with their recommendations.

tl;Dr Grubex at green up.
It doesn’t get much better than that reference piece in Post #1 this thread. MSU “updates” it annually; however; nothing of any real substance has changed over last several years. It is indispensable for determining whether a curative or preventative is needed and, either way which to use, etc.

Best o’ Success!

I read the article as well and that’s what sparked the idea to throw down dylox to kill off any potential chance of grubs.

I was going to also throw down a preventative at the end of May/Early June as well
Last edited by Scagfreedom48z+ on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green
Posts: 2496
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: OEM 21" (by MTD); Fiskars 18"

Re: Grub Control

Post by Green » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:03 pm
I was going to also throw down a preventative at the end of May/Early June as well
June is a bit on the late side...unless you're using Imidacloprid (and then it may be a bit too early).
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Scagfreedom48z+
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:12 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Re: Grub Control

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:50 pm

Green wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 pm
Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:03 pm
I was going to also throw down a preventative at the end of May/Early June as well
June is a bit on the late side...unless you're using Imidacloprid (and then it may be a bit too early).
Yes I have Imidacloprid on hand to apply as a preventative

Green
Posts: 2496
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:27 am
Location: CT (Zone 6B)
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: OEM 21" (by MTD); Fiskars 18"

Re: Grub Control

Post by Green » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:13 pm

Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:50 pm
Green wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 pm
Scagfreedom48z+ wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:03 pm
I was going to also throw down a preventative at the end of May/Early June as well
June is a bit on the late side...unless you're using Imidacloprid (and then it may be a bit too early).
Yes I have Imidacloprid on hand to apply as a preventative
There was a post recently about how some of the beetles are later in the season now, and an expert was quoted, saying that in our area the optimal timing for Imidacloprid is more like July now. I know when I had a lawn service, they generally put it down in July.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

User avatar
Grass Clippins
Posts: 280
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:42 pm
Location: Marietta, GA
Grass Type: Titan Ultra TTTF
Lawn Size: 18000
Mower: Hustler Raptor

Re: Grub Control

Post by Grass Clippins » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Check out this beast my neighbor found last summer. Looks like a rattlesnake rattle. Goes without saying that I'm putting down Scott's GrubEx before the rain this Friday.

Image

Post Reply