Mosquito Control Basics

A place to discuss DIY pest control
Bigdrumnc
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Honda

Re: Mosquito Control Basics

Post by Bigdrumnc » Mon May 06, 2019 8:48 pm

I have a Stihl mister-blower and have been using Bifen it for several years and it works fairly well on mosquitos, but not on any kind of fly. For those of you using demand cs-what are you using to spray it? Stihl type blower? Pump sprayer? How are you applying it, barrier spray? Vegetation? Thanks in advance for all replies!

Kissfromnick
Grass Type: Cool season
Lawn Size: 30000
Mower: John Deere 120/cub cadet 0turn

Post by Kissfromnick » Sun May 19, 2019 1:14 pm

I have a wetlands and the leaks all over using five apps off Cedarcure with Tallstar P trough season and totally mosquito free. This year I add pivot10 to my treatment and property flys free. Had to spoke with the neighbors yesterday about 10 feet away from my property line and it was tones of mosquitoes. Cedarcure best for mosquitoes I try many different things before nothing work like Cedarcure. By the way 5 yers ago use to pay $1300 for season mosquitoes 🦟 treatment. Now it’s only $150 and 5 rides on mover with prayer.

jstephens
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 10k sq ft
Mower: rotary

Post by jstephens » Fri May 24, 2019 10:47 am

TheThirstyTurtle wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:25 pm
jjepeto wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:04 pm
I spray my house and rest of property with Bifen every 1-2 months in the warm months, but I just mowed and got destroyed by mosquitoes. I think the issue is my next door neighbor is a hoarder and their backyard is heavy tree cover and even more ivy growing on the ground and up the trees. I think the mosquitoes live there and fly over to my yard to land on someone to bite, so never contacting the Bifen. I need to find a way to repel them from coming to my property from the surrounding overgrown and un-maintained properties.

Has anyone tried this product or have other suggestions?

SPARTAN MOSQUITO ERADICATOR ONE Acre Starter Pack (2 Boxes); Best Whole Yard Outdoor Killer Barrier Solution; More Effective Than ShortTerm Insect Repellent Trap Mosquito Free Backyard Garden Patio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NLJ3G99/re ... YCbTJQ6KAE
I have a similar issue where I spray my property with bifen, but my neighbors don't maintain their properties and have a bunch of standing water around. Plus, behind my house is a sort of wetland area with some dense vegetation nearby, and so the mosquitos from that area inevitably make their way over to my yard.

I tried using Mosquito Barrier one year at the specified rate and didn't notice a difference. I was still getting mosquitoes in my backyard the very next day, but then again I wasn't spraying bifen all around my property at that time. Perhaps doing both together - spraying your property with an insecticide and then using a concentrated garlic spray - may work. The thing with the garlic sprays like Mosquito Barrier is that they need to be reapplied after it rains, so you may need to use a lot of it for continual protection.

I currently just spray bifen every month or so to my property to help reduce (but not eliminate) the level of mosquitos near me. When I mow, I just wear long pants and apply a small amount of a lemon eucalyptus natural bug repellent to my arms and neck/ears and that makes it tolerable. Whenever I have guests over in the backyard, I spray a natural bug repellent spray on the lawn that I usually get at Lowe's - it comes in a bottle that you attach to a garden hose so you can spray the contents directly on to your lawn. That stuff does a great job keeping the mosquitoes away, but the effect only lasts a few days and costs about $12-15 for each application, so I only use it sparingly whenever we have a get-together.

I've just accepted that my lawn will never be truly mosquito-free for the whole summer no matter what I spray, and that's mostly because of my neighbors' lack of maintenance of their properties and the wetland behind my house. But I can minimize the prevalence of bugs somewhat, and for maybe a day or two completely eliminate mosquitoes using the Lowe's natural bug repellent spray product.
I would suggest buying a thermacell product and using that while you have guest over or are planning on being outside for a decent amount of time. I've been using them for hunting in swamps (sitting still for hours in the worst mosquito haven on earth) for years and never have issues. They make a lot of home versions now that actually run on camp butane gas and are very economical and very effective.

Scagfreedom48z+
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: Scag 48” Freedom z

Post by Scagfreedom48z+ » Mon May 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Applied 1oz per gallon of Talstar with 1oz per 4 gallons of Exponent around the perimeter of the house on Saturday with a backpack blower. Was out with the wife last night enjoying a fire. We didn’t see or get bite by a single mosquito! Big difference from previous years

jjepeto
Grass Type: Bermuda (f), TF/KBG (b)
Lawn Size: 5,000 sqft
Mower: Ryobi 40v

Post by jjepeto » Tue May 28, 2019 9:56 am

Has anyone tried the GreenStrike mosquito preventer? It seems like an interesting solution, but I'm wondering if it could be done cheaper in a DIY setup. There's an older model on amazon for $120 and a newer model for $300. I like the idea as it seems like a better long term solution to drastically reduce, but probably not eliminate a mosquito population. Reviews on amazon are all over the board, as I'm sure people expect immediate results and therefor have a lot of skepticism in their low star review.

GreenStrike marketing video

Edit to add that it is $229 on their website, and $299 on amazon. The $120 version requires a manual flushing of the water, the more expensive ones do it automatically with battery power.
Last edited by jjepeto on Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjepeto

Post by jjepeto » Thu May 30, 2019 12:06 pm

jjepeto wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:56 am
Has anyone tried the GreenStrike mosquito preventer? It seems like an interesting solution, but I'm wondering if it could be done cheaper in a DIY setup. There's an older model on amazon for $120 and a newer model for $300. I like the idea as it seems like a better long term solution to drastically reduce, but probably not eliminate a mosquito population. Reviews on amazon are all over the board, as I'm sure people expect immediate results and therefor have a lot of skepticism in their low star review.

GreenStrike marketing video

Edit to add that it is $229 on their website, and $299 on amazon. The $120 version requires a manual flushing of the water, the more expensive ones do it automatically with battery power.
I decided not to go with the Green Strike product. I think it could be a really good product, but it's a big price for what it is. Maybe in the future I will give it a shot. I decided to buy a BG-GAT trap that works on the same principle of attracting females to stagnant water, but the BG-GAT traps/kills the pregnant female before or after they lay the eggs. The larva and the female die. The main reason I chose it is because it is passive (no power required) and doesn't need physical interactions every 3 days like the manual Green Strike. I did a ton of research on different traps and this one has a lot of hype.

Since I can't just spray chemicals all over my neighbors's properties, I have to go with a systematic population reduction approach to try to lure females to traps in which they can't reproduce or their larva dies. If this seems to be successful I will probably add 2 or 3 more BG-GAT traps, and I'm also considering adding one of the Biogents powered fan traps as well.

I'll post an update on the trap once it arrives and I get it setup for a while.

BG-GAT trap info page

BG-Mosquitaire (the powered fan trap)

Bermuda_Newbie
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Swardman Electra 18"

Post by Bermuda_Newbie » Thu May 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Has anyone tried the In2Care system? I had it installed about two weeks ago which is about the earliest I'll see results so I can't comment yet.

I'm not sure how to put the video in here but above is a link to how it works. Apparently it's what Disneyworld used with the whole Zika thing to keep their mosquito population down. I think it's fairly new but I wanted to see if anyone else had heard of it.

jjepeto

Post by jjepeto » Thu May 30, 2019 6:10 pm

@Bermuda_Newbie very interesting system. I just don't like that you are required to have it professionally installed and serviced. I would rather do it myself. I'll be interested in hearing your results. Do you own the traps or are they owned by the pest company that installed them? It looks like it would be a highly effective system.

Bermuda_Newbie
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Swardman Electra 18"

Post by Bermuda_Newbie » Thu May 30, 2019 6:23 pm

@jjepeto
You sign up for a season package and it's prorated depending on when you get it in the season. They own the equipment and they come out and service it every month. The system is licensed by the government so not just anyone can install it. There's only one company that does it here. Frankly I'm surprised they allow it in California at all considering how many chemicals are banned here. We have the aegypti mosquito here that can carry all the nasty diseases. What sucks is it's not just an evening/nighttime/morning mosquito but are out all day even in the sun. We weren't able to use our yard at all without getting eaten to pieces. When my two year old comes in with ten spots on her leg from play in the yard for an hour, it's time to do something. Last year my husband sprayed the Seven stuff on the grass that was supposed help but there's standing water in so many places including my neighbors' yard that it didn't work well. I'm hoping this will be more effective than that was. Plus killing off all the butterflies and bees I think upset my husband. He said he felt terrible after applying it once he saw them dying on the lawn.

craigdt
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescue
Mower: Ferris IS600z

Post by craigdt » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:28 pm

To go along with my existing bifenthrin applications, I just ordered some Cyzmic-CS and Nyguard IGR.

Hopefully adding those to the rotation will help significantly.

Have to take it seriously, since my wife is pregnant.

Edit-
My loot arrived!
Last edited by craigdt on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dithiopyr (Dimension) Pre-Emergent Marketplace : $23/4oz, $33/8oz, $52/16oz
Propiconazole 41.8 Fungicide Marketplace : $27/8oz, $38/16oz, $60/32oz

NorthStar 21gal Tow Behind Sprayer- TeeJet mod writeup

DuncanMcDonuts
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Baroness LM56/EGO 21" SP

Post by DuncanMcDonuts » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:48 pm

To those using Talstar P or other bifenthrin products, do you guys notice any decrease in bee activity? I don't want to harm useful pollinators, but at the same time I get eaten up by mosquitos with bites that swell to 3" wide. I could avoid using them on the shrubs and flowers and only spray on walls and fences as others recommended.

Kissfromnick
Lawn Size: 30000
Mower: John Deere 120/cub cadet 0turn

Post by Kissfromnick » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:27 am

DuncanMcDonuts wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:48 pm
To those using Talstar P or other bifenthrin products, do you guys notice any decrease in bee activity? I don't want to harm useful pollinators, but at the same time I get eaten up by mosquitos with bites that swell to 3" wide. I could avoid using them on the shrubs and flowers and only spray on walls and fences as others recommended.
I’m using Talstar P in combination with Cedarcure and bees still all over my flowers and fruits trees

Boberto
Grass Type: Kentucky?
Lawn Size: 11,000 sqft
Mower: Toro Push

Post by Boberto » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:44 am

This is my first time trying to 'control' mosquitos in my yard. I do have a wood/marsh tree line in the back of my house and not much vegetation else where. For my first attempt, I'm going to see if I can get away with using just Cutter's backyard spray https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cutter-32-f ... /100211822 to really just hit the wooded area to hopefully get a bulk of them, and then go to the tiki/bug zapper type items on the decks.

It would be nice to not have to buy something like a mist-blower and another 1-2 bottles of chemicals, but we'll see!

gm560
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: HRR216 & Toro Recycler

Post by gm560 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 am

DuncanMcDonuts wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:48 pm
You just need to be careful where you spray. Non-flowering shrubs and trees should be fine. I would avoid anything that flowers, though.

gm560
TLF Supporter

Post by gm560 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:32 am

Boberto wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:44 am
This is my first time trying to 'control' mosquitos in my yard. I do have a wood/marsh tree line in the back of my house and not much vegetation else where. For my first attempt, I'm going to see if I can get away with using just Cutter's backyard spray https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cutter-32-f ... /100211822 to really just hit the wooded area to hopefully get a bulk of them, and then go to the tiki/bug zapper type items on the decks.

It would be nice to not have to buy something like a mist-blower and another 1-2 bottles of chemicals, but we'll see!
Just FYI:
The AI in the cutter product you linked to is Lambda-cyhalothrin, same as Demand/Cyzmic. If it is successful, the latter will be much more cost effective on a per app basis (The 8oz bottle of Cyzmic is about 80% cheaper if my calculation is correct). I also don't know for a fact, but I suspect the Cutter stuff is not the micro encapsulated version that Cyzmic is, which will help the AI last longer outside. So I suspect you could get a superior product, for way less. You don't need a mist blower, either. I use a cheap 1 gallon pump sprayer from HD. Only downside is you have to mix it yourself.
Last edited by gm560 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boberto
Grass Type: Kentucky?
Lawn Size: 11,000 sqft
Mower: Toro Push

Post by Boberto » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:34 am

gm560 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:32 am
Boberto wrote:

Just FYI:
The AI in the cutter product you linked to is Lambda-cyhalothrin, same as Demand/Cyzmic. If it is successful, the latter will be much more cost effective on a per app basis (The 8oz bottle of Cyzmic is about 80% cheaper if my calculation is correct). I also don't know for a fact, but I suspect the Cutter stuff is not the micro encapsulated version that Cyzmic is, which will help the AI last longer outside. So I suspect you could get a superior product, for way less. You don't need a mist blower, either. I use a cheap 1 gallon pump sprayer from HD. Only downside is you have to mix it yourself.
Thanks for the info! :thumbup: So I already ordered a bottle of the Cutter to test out, if it works semi-decently, I'll go the Cyzmic route next. One of my concerns is that a pump sprayer doesn't have the output to get higher up on trees/brush.

gm560
TLF Supporter

Post by gm560 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:54 am

Boberto wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:34 am
gm560 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:32 am
Boberto wrote:

Just FYI:
Thanks for the info! :thumbup: So I already ordered a bottle of the Cutter to test out, if it works semi-decently, I'll go the Cyzmic route next. One of my concerns is that a pump sprayer doesn't have the output to get higher up on trees/brush.
Totally! It's a good low investment test. Better than spending $40 on a bottle to find out it doesn't work. I figured if you decide the results are what you are looking for, it would be nice to save some coin in the future.

Another product, same AI, that they say can be used in a hose end sprayer. This is the non-encapsulated version. I don't see why you couldn't use Cyzmic in a hose end, either, although I have never seen anyone explicitly say so. With either, you would just need to figure out the correct mix rate. Cutter is 0.16% of the AI, so you could use that as a bellwether.

https://www.domyown.com/cyonara-97-ques ... words=hose

DuncanMcDonuts
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Baroness LM56/EGO 21" SP

Post by DuncanMcDonuts » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:08 pm

@Kissfromnick and @gm560 Thanks for putting my conscience at ease! The wife is scared of bees but they're useful for the environment. Mosquitos can burn in hell. I'll pick up some Talstar P soon.

TN Hawkeye
Grass Type: Fescmuda
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by TN Hawkeye » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:12 pm

DuncanMcDonuts wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:08 pm
@Kissfromnick and @gm560 Thanks for putting my conscience at ease! The wife is scared of bees but they're useful for the environment. Mosquitos can burn in hell. I'll pick up some Talstar P soon.
I sprayed our front porch area with BIfen and have seen no change to the damn wood boring bees. They are still eating the hell out of our bench out front.
I may not have the best lawn and I may not have a clue what I’m doing but that’s pretty much all I have to say.

BenC
Grass Type: Zoysia Zeon
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Toro 216 triplex

Post by BenC » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Dallaslawnnut wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:56 pm
SCGrassMan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:51 pm
Also, put up a bat house! They eat tons of bugs. I have one I need to put up.
Need to know more! Is there one you recommend? Can it go anywhere on side of house?
I’m wanting to put some up as well, we have a bunch of bats. From what I hear, placement is important and hard to predict what will bring them in. Best to put a few up and if one get bats then your lucky.