Moles.....again

A place to discuss DIY pest control
jtyrie
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 15000 sq ft..
Mower: Honda

Moles.....again

Post by jtyrie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:58 pm

I've read a lot of posts on moles in this forum. I've tried just about everything that has been discussed. What doesn't kill them only makes them stronger. I had an exterminator tell me that he knew a guy who spread some type of granule in mole infested yards and it killed them. No amount of research has has helped me find it. I'm guessing that it is an off label use for something. Anyone have any idea? I'm at the point where I have to get sweet revenge on those ugly b_____. I'm thinking of using dynamite for an off label use if I don't get rid of them soon.

Miggity
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 13,250
Mower: Honda HRX 217

Re: Moles.....again

Post by Miggity » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:25 pm

In true "hold my beer" fashion, I present the oxy-propane Molinator.

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia / Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2,347 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56

Post by TulsaFan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:53 pm

I use Molescram from Siteone every month and it drives them to my neighbor's lawn.

Also, a big fan of Trapline traps for along the foundation of the house and Tomcat scissor traps for out in the open.
TLF SUPPORTERS: Join the 1% in showing your support for TLF!

weevil07
Grass Type: Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 40,000 sq ft
Mower: 2003 Exmark Lazer Z 52"

Post by weevil07 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 am

I've had good luck using Motomco brand mole killer "gummy worms" laced with Bromethalin. Find an intersection of two paths and put it down in there and cover the hole. I also stomp down several feet of their track to hack them off and get them back to the area to fix it. Then they find the bait. Several places say to leave the trails undisturbed, but it works for me to stomp them down. Good luck

ABC123
Grass Type: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 8,000
Mower: 220SL GM1000

Post by ABC123 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:47 pm

I’ve caught a few on medium cinch traps meant for gophers. It involves digging a hole as big around as a bucket and setting two traps in each direction. If it’s a mound you can always open them up and put one inside. Clear out as much dirt as possible and try not to leave any scent.

BigBadJohn
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 7,400 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRX217/E-Go 21” SP

Post by BigBadJohn » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:22 pm

This may not be an option for many, but we got a cat. My daughters have been begging for a cat for years and I've said no (personally, I'm a dog person). After finding several mice in the backyard, pool and garage glue traps, I relented and we got a cat. He was 8 weeks old when we got him. He just turned 1 year old. We didn't start letting him outside until he got larger due to the hawks that hang around our neighborhood. Once he got outside, it took a little while for him to get that hang of hunting but he loves it now. First crickets, then lizards and finally mice and moles. He was getting several mice and moles a week for about a month and for the last 4-6 weeks we haven't seen any mice or moles. We went a while where all the lizards we saw in the yard had missing tails, now we don't see many lizards. I miss the lizards.

He is earning his keep but I'm still a dog person.

TheLawnNewbie
Grass Type: 100% KBG
Lawn Size: 8,000 sqft
Mower: Troy built 160 Honda

Post by TheLawnNewbie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 pm

i had tried traps and baits with no success.
i had all the moles gone within two days doing the method below.

TheLawnNewbie
"Learning is the best skill to have"

BassBoss
Grass Type: 419
Lawn Size: 13,650 FT²
Mower: Husqvarna

Post by BassBoss » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Tomcat mole killer. Worked for me.

kstall
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1/2 acre
Mower: JD x350

Post by kstall » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:10 am

Killed my very first mole this past Saturday morning. Wife and I were on the front porch having coffee, I just happened to look down and the see the mulch in the flower bed moving. Quickly sprang into action, tiptoeing to the garage for the shovel. Made my way back using my ninja stealth skills, ( even used one of those smoke things they throw out to conceal themselves)
watched until he started moving again and bam! Slammed the shovel in and kicked him up! I'm not a hunter but man that was a rush lol. As I proceeded to rip my shirt off in Hulk Hogan fashion, and let out a primal scream, the wife gave me "the look" and quickly grabbed her cup and went inside. I've set out traps trying to get this guy but he never would go back to that area. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Hopefully we wont see any more soon but something tells me we will.

testwerke
Grass Type: Zoysia & Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: Honda HRR216K9VKA

Post by testwerke » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:02 am

kstall wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:10 am
As I proceeded to rip my shirt off in Hulk Hogan fashion, and let out a primal scream, the wife gave me "the look" and quickly grabbed her cup and went inside. I
:laugh:

kstall

Post by kstall » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:01 pm

Already seeing new tunnels so we got another one to snuff out

kstall

Post by kstall » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:49 am

Finally got him

TommyTester
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Northern Mix/PR
Lawn Size: 9000
Mower: Troy Bilt 42' Hydro Rider

Post by TommyTester » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:19 am

kstall wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:49 am
Finally got him
Excellent. We live next to some woods and in years past the moles come into the yard to feed on grubs and worms. I've spent a lot of time trapping them, and like you, have moved-on to using the stalk and shovel method. It is interesting that this year I put down Bio-advanced Complete Insect killer in June and the moles are tunneling only near the edge of the lawn but are not going into it. They have an amazing sense of smell and they appear to know that the lawn has nothing for them to feed on. I did another application a few weeks ago to kill off any grubs that hatch. It has 3 months coverage for soil insects. The bags were only $8 locally.

They can raise hell in a lawn in a hurry, so putting down an insecticide that kills grubs and worms seems to be the trick.

Last edited by TommyTester on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ktgrok
Grass Type: bermuda - maya
Lawn Size: 3,000
Mower: earthwise 7 blade manual reel

Post by ktgrok » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:17 am

Agreed. I put down stuff for grubs and such all over the lawn, but not in the beds. and the only place I'm finding mole tunnels is right next to the beds, like going from one to the other. Which means I need to treat the beds..gotta look and see if I have any left over stuff in the garage.

ktgrok

Post by ktgrok » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:22 pm

UGH! Came home from taking the kids to the library and found another tunnel, going from the bed to the sidewalk. I JUST stomped that one down this morning! Stupid mole.
I've got 24 Hour Grub Killer Plus coming, will be here tomorrow and I'll put it down ASAP. Works on grubs, mole crickets, billbugs, etc.

ktgrok

Post by ktgrok » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:50 am

so, damn thing dug all over my lawn last night. I'm angry enough to actually trap and kill it, but have a 6 yr old son with diagnosed anxiety and OCD and he would lose his mind if I was killing furry animals in the yard. Trying to avoid that if possible...if need be sill set trap after he's in bed and check in morning before he goes outside.
In the meantime putting down Dylox today for grubs and going to put some repellent down...just need Mr. Mole to shift over a few dozen feet into my neighbor's weed farm.

Actually, think I'll try the worm bait poison thing. Then use repellent once he's gone to prevent new ones. Hopefully the thing doesn't feel the need to be dramatic and crawl out gasping his last breath right in front of my kids.
Last edited by ktgrok on Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ktgrok

Post by ktgrok » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:40 am

i'm using the wire-tek trap, and having zero luck. Anyone have any tips for success? The damn thing is DESTROYING my yard!

Easyluck
Lawn Size: 12,000 sqft
Mower: Rotary

Post by Easyluck » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 am

@ktgrok first you should find out what trails are active and which trails are not active. Then set your traps on the active trails. Most of the time the active trails will be a long straight run. The trails that turn in all directions are more than likely due to the mole searching for worms and the mole will not return to that same area.

To find the active trails go around your yard and poke 1/2 inch holes in the trail. Use whatever you have on hand to mark the holes (plastic forks, sticks, cones, flags, etc.).

Come back the next day and check to see if the hole you poke has been closed. If the hole has been closed then the trail is active.

Then set your traps along the active trails.

I would also poke holes a few feet on either side of the trap. Then you will know if the mole passed by without setting off the trap.
Last edited by Easyluck on Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

ktgrok

Post by ktgrok » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:15 pm

He has a few active trails, and I'm definitely trapping an active one, but he varies where he goes and when. Also, I think I didn't have it set properly last night and he snuck right through it...pressure plate that triggers it I think wasn't in deep enough.

He also lives a good portion of the time under my bed around the maple tree and I can't trap there because of all the roots, can't get the trap to set properly there. Bugger.

Today I put in two of those sonic/vibration/noise annoyer things and also lit off a few of the gas bomb things in the tunnels where he spends his resting time I think. I have zero belief that will actually kill him, but I'm hoping if I make it less hospitable he'll at least consider moving over to my neighbor's yard.

pennstater2005
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 15,000 sq ft
Mower: Husqvarna YTH18K46

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:18 pm

@ktgrok

I have good luck using the Trapline mole traps. Just caught a big guy the other day in my renovation. They go directly in the tunnel one each direction. They're extremely efficient. You do need to angle them downward a bit or else they'll sense it too early and go under. With it angled they nose right into the trigger mechanism and whap!!

I use a hori hori knife to dig out a section of sod, a screwdriver to open the tunnel each direction, then carefully set and place each trap. Finish with a flag so I can come back the next morning and check. I think I have 3 sets now.
"Perfection, like infinity, is unobtainable, even at places like Augusta. It's the journey toward the goal that holds all the fun, joy, and reward." - dfw_pilot

Lawn Fertilizer Calculator

Credit