Moles.....again

A place to discuss DIY pest control
jtyrie
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 15000 sq ft..
Mower: Honda

Moles.....again

Post by jtyrie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:58 pm

I've read a lot of posts on moles in this forum. I've tried just about everything that has been discussed. What doesn't kill them only makes them stronger. I had an exterminator tell me that he knew a guy who spread some type of granule in mole infested yards and it killed them. No amount of research has has helped me find it. I'm guessing that it is an off label use for something. Anyone have any idea? I'm at the point where I have to get sweet revenge on those ugly b_____. I'm thinking of using dynamite for an off label use if I don't get rid of them soon.

Miggity
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 13,250
Mower: Honda HRX 217

Re: Moles.....again

Post by Miggity » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:25 pm

In true "hold my beer" fashion, I present the oxy-propane Molinator.

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia / Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2,347 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56

Post by TulsaFan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:53 pm

I use Molescram from Siteone every month and it drives them to my neighbor's lawn.

Also, a big fan of Trapline traps for along the foundation of the house and Tomcat scissor traps for out in the open.
BARONESS: The greens mower I never knew I wanted or needed!

weevil07
Grass Type: Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 40,000 sq ft
Mower: 2003 Exmark Lazer Z 52"

Post by weevil07 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:15 am

I've had good luck using Motomco brand mole killer "gummy worms" laced with Bromethalin. Find an intersection of two paths and put it down in there and cover the hole. I also stomp down several feet of their track to hack them off and get them back to the area to fix it. Then they find the bait. Several places say to leave the trails undisturbed, but it works for me to stomp them down. Good luck

ABC123
Grass Type: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 8,000
Mower: 220SL GM1000

Post by ABC123 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:47 pm

I’ve caught a few on medium cinch traps meant for gophers. It involves digging a hole as big around as a bucket and setting two traps in each direction. If it’s a mound you can always open them up and put one inside. Clear out as much dirt as possible and try not to leave any scent.

BigBadJohn
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 7,400 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRX217/E-Go 21” SP

Post by BigBadJohn » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:22 pm

This may not be an option for many, but we got a cat. My daughters have been begging for a cat for years and I've said no (personally, I'm a dog person). After finding several mice in the backyard, pool and garage glue traps, I relented and we got a cat. He was 8 weeks old when we got him. He just turned 1 year old. We didn't start letting him outside until he got larger due to the hawks that hang around our neighborhood. Once he got outside, it took a little while for him to get that hang of hunting but he loves it now. First crickets, then lizards and finally mice and moles. He was getting several mice and moles a week for about a month and for the last 4-6 weeks we haven't seen any mice or moles. We went a while where all the lizards we saw in the yard had missing tails, now we don't see many lizards. I miss the lizards.

He is earning his keep but I'm still a dog person.

TheLawnNewbie
Grass Type: 100% KBG
Lawn Size: 8,000 sqft
Mower: Troy built 160 Honda

Post by TheLawnNewbie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 pm

i had tried traps and baits with no success.
i had all the moles gone within two days doing the method below.

TheLawnNewbie
"Learning is the best skill to have"

BassBoss
Grass Type: 419
Lawn Size: 13,650 FT²
Mower: Husqvarna

Post by BassBoss » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:46 pm

Tomcat mole killer. Worked for me.

kstall
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1/2 acre
Mower: JD x350

Post by kstall » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:10 am

Killed my very first mole this past Saturday morning. Wife and I were on the front porch having coffee, I just happened to look down and the see the mulch in the flower bed moving. Quickly sprang into action, tiptoeing to the garage for the shovel. Made my way back using my ninja stealth skills, ( even used one of those smoke things they throw out to conceal themselves)
watched until he started moving again and bam! Slammed the shovel in and kicked him up! I'm not a hunter but man that was a rush lol. As I proceeded to rip my shirt off in Hulk Hogan fashion, and let out a primal scream, the wife gave me "the look" and quickly grabbed her cup and went inside. I've set out traps trying to get this guy but he never would go back to that area. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Hopefully we wont see any more soon but something tells me we will.