Need help with mosquitoes. Nothing is working!!!

A place to discuss DIY pest control
Topic Author
XM16E1
Grass Type: No grass
Lawn Size: 5 acres
Mower: Skid steer

Need help with mosquitoes. Nothing is working!!!

Post by XM16E1 »

I live in interior Alaska and mosquitoes are unofficially considered our state bird.

We live on 10 acres of land, with about 5 acres cleared. The cleared area is mostly gravel and dirt, surrounded by wood line. We do have a pond that is not stagnant and fed through a slough. Pound is treated with Mosquito Bits. Rather than pay one of the local mosquito control companies $150 a month to unreliably spray, I decided to do it myself this year.

I purchased a Makita mist blower and a gallon of Permithrin SFR. Sprayed all around my wood line, focusing on the underside of the vegetation from ground level to about 10 feet up. Made zero difference. Did more research and found out Demand CS is considered a tier 1 chemical for mosquito control. Ordered some.

Mixed 0.8oz per gallon as per label instructions and sprayed a total of 14 gallons around my property. Zero noticeable reduction in mosquitoes. I contacted a rep for Demand CS and he implied the chemical was not mixed properly and suggested using a one gallon mixing container and then pouring the mixture into the mist blower tank.

OK, so about a week later I mixed 0.8oz of Demand CS precisely per gallon in a gallon container and vigorously agitated before pouring into the mist blower tank. Total sprayed was 17 gallons, this time I tried to be extremely detailed, and focused on the underside of thick vegetation and dark, cool areas. I even sprayed our house walls, windows, and window screens. This resulted in maybe a 20% reduction in mosquitoes. Every morning I can see easily 100 of them landing on our bathroom window screen which is covered by a 12' porch overhang. The same screen I heavily sprayed with Demand CS. Yet they act like nothing is there.

Ended up pressure washing the pollen off the deck and resprayed it with Bifen 7.9F mixed in the same manner, making sure to thoroughly cover that same bathroom window screen. That was three days ago. And yet again, well over 100 mosquitoes just sitting on it this morning.

I don't understand why nothing seems to be working. How long does Demand CS or Bifen generally take to kill mosquitoes once they come in contact with it? Why have my efforts been so futile?

desirous
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: Honda HRX217

Re: Need help with mosquitoes. Nothing is working!!!

Post by desirous »

@XM16E1, I am very interested in your experiments and results. Please keep posting as you learn more.

From what I've read, all the chemicals you have tried are good for persistent kill lasting a few weeks. You could add Pyrethrin (ExciteR) to the mix for a fast knockdown of the adult mosquitoes, then the persistent kills the newly hatched babies for weeks.

Also, you may want to go higher than 10 feet up the vegetation, your Makita mister should be able to handle that.

Good luck!

Jacks_Designs
Grass Type: KBG mix
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Super recycler

Post by Jacks_Designs »

I used bifen IT this year. Has worked great. It took about 2 weeks to notice a difference.

I Sprayed my lawn, retaining wall, and shrubs at .75 oz per 1k. Next app will be this Saturday. I plan to do .5 oz per 1k this time.

Follow the label for best results.

wchang23
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3500 square feet
Mower: Honda

Post by wchang23 »

Try Bifen XTS along with NYGuard IGR to help minimize the infestation. Keep in mind it may take 3 to 4 weeks to break the life cycle after using the NYguard IGR but this will work.

rtdad
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 3,800
Mower: Toro

Post by rtdad »

I've heard that Bifen XTS and an IGR like Tekken work well in a fogger. However, there's several reasons I decided to pay a company:

1. PRICE: a good fogger is $300+, and $50 for each of the above named chemicals, or DoMyOwn has a $850 mosquito kit

2. COMPETENCE: not fully confident in my ability with chemicals and to properly spray

So I decided to sign up for TruGreen mosquito applications at $40 first treatment, $80 additional. They do free re applications if I don't notice a difference in 5 days. Best of luck!

ladycage
Grass Type: Bermuda and weeds
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Fiskars reel mower & riding

Post by ladycage »

Has anyone tried DynaTrap or Flowtron? I saw a Youtube where it killed hundreds of mosquitoes. I am ordering one so I will update with how well it really works.

Colonel K0rn
Grass Type: Royal Bengal Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro GM Flex 21

Post by Colonel K0rn »

After Hurricane Matthew came in, I purchased a Skeetervac from Blue Rhino which worked well because we had some gargantuan mosquitoes get blown up here from Florida. I liked it because it's self-contained, and just runs off of propane. You don't need to run electricity to it. It helped reduce the population, but I treated this May with Demand CS, Permethrin and Bifenthrin. Pretty much nuked all of the insects that I had in the yard, and around it. It seems like it's time to reapply for me again, because the fly population is creeping up again.
I tend to edit because I forgot to put something in my post.
CK's 2017 Reno thread
CK's Lawn Journal

Vocian
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 8000 SF
Mower: EGO

Post by Vocian »

ladycage wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:12 pm
Has anyone tried DynaTrap or Flowtron? I saw a Youtube where it killed hundreds of mosquitoes. I am ordering one so I will update with how well it really works.
There is a huge controversy about its method and why this Dynatrap shouldn’t work, since UV doesn’t really atract mosquitoes and CO2 emitted from dead flies is very insignificant to attract more mosquitoes, but I hear people are swearing by it.
This week I saw it in costco and it was a great deal compared to buying online. It was $70 plus two spare lamps so I picked one.
Worst case scenario you need to buy mosquito attractants to help the process.

craigdt
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Ferris IS600z

Post by craigdt »

Here's my arsenal this year.

I try to rotate my chems.

If you are spraying after you notice they are bad, you are too late, and it will take a couple weeks to get things under control.

Spray earlier in the year before they are bad.

Mix a bug growth regulator in every now and again to interrupt the maturation cycle. This prevents reproduction/multiplication.

Someone said mix a long lasting product with a quick knockdown product: this is a good idea.

DynaTrap-
It absolutely catches hundreds of mosquitos. They dry up into a tiny little crisp. Moths love it too. I put a little Octenal attractant tablet in the bug resivour as well.

ladycage
Grass Type: Bermuda and weeds
Lawn Size: 16000
Mower: Fiskars reel mower & riding

Post by ladycage »

Wow you are putting out all the stops. You should be bug free this summer. I just got the Dynatrap and a Flowtron. I also put down Spectracide Season long insecticide. I am going to put out Bifen next week.

How often do you put down your chemicals?
craigdt wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:50 pm
Here's my arsenal this year.

I try to rotate my chems.

If you are spraying after you notice they are bad, you are too late, and it will take a couple weeks to get things under control.

Spray earlier in the year before they are bad.

Mix a bug growth regulator in every now and again to interrupt the maturation cycle. This prevents reproduction/multiplication.

Someone said mix a long lasting product with a quick knockdown product: this is a good idea.

DynaTrap-
It absolutely catches hundreds of mosquitos. They dry up into a tiny little crisp. Moths love it too. I put a little Octenal attractant tablet in the bug resivour as well.

craigdt
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: Ferris IS600z

Post by craigdt »

ladycage wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:24 pm
Wow you are putting out all the stops. You should be bug free this summer. I just got the Dynatrap and a Flowtron. I also put down Spectracide Season long insecticide. I am going to put out Bifen next week.

How often do you put down your chemicals?
I tend to base it off of current mosquito pressure, but typically once a month-ish unless its really bad.
Then as needed, or every couple weeks.

FranksATX
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 24,000+
Mower: Hustler Zero Turn

Post by FranksATX »

I have had a Dynatrap for a few years now and have had very few mosquitos in it. It is great at catching moths and other flying insects attracted to light. I keep mine on all year so we dont have the bugs near the lights when we are outside.

I have had great results with bifen and bifen XTS. I use it in a battery powered backpack sprayer and mist it in front of a battery powered leaf blower. I got the idea from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um2oaliVsmE this video and others like it.

We have a family Fishing camp near Port O'Conner on the water and there are some BIG mosquitos down there. This setup makes a huge difference if I can get it out at dusk on the first day we arrive. We still get some blown in from the nearby grass flats, but it makes it tolerable to be outside.