Self red ant control or let nature play?

A place to discuss DIY pest control
Topic Author
Dizney
Grass Type: no grass atm
Lawn Size: Approx 25ft by 35ft
Mower: not sure

Self red ant control or let nature play?

Post by Dizney »

So I'm finally starting to redo my backyard. Its about 25 feet by 35 feet. Without going into details no one cares about, bottom line, it got really bad with weeds and the grass all died. Well fast forward to this summer, everything died. So I decided to just start fresh. Pulled everything. Dead weeds, dead grass, and all that's left is dirt.

So I'm now at the process of wanting to put down a top soil, seed, and then just give it some tender love and care with hopes for the beautiful lawn I once had to regrow. The problem is, after pulling everything leaving the dirt that almost has the consistency of sand, there are a ton of red ants.

What my question is, should I first kill the red ants first, take care of that issue before I lay out things to grow my lawn, or will what I lay out for the lawn take care of the ant problem?

Thanks in advance!

Burnie
Grass Type: St. Aug
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: JD 717A

Re: Self red ant control or let nature play?

Post by Burnie »

Go ahead and kill the ants, doing nothing they will just get worse. I have found a blanket coverage of the whole area is better than spot treating (granular or liquid).
Owner/Certified Operator
Lawn Treatments (fert, weeds, insects), Interior Pest Control, Bee & Wasp Control.
Started doing Pest Control in 1992, Started my own business in 2006.

440mag
Grass Type: Blend tall fescues
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: JD X580

Post by 440mag »

I’m w Burnie - Nuke ‘em!
When it comes to everything, anytime I edit anything it is always because I forgot something! ;)

Topic Author
Dizney

Post by Dizney »

Burnie wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 am
Go ahead and kill the ants, doing nothing they will just get worse. I have found a blanket coverage of the whole area is better than spot treating (granular or liquid).
Thanks for the response!

So even with me putting the top soil and seed, there's a good chance that wouldn't kill them or have them leave?

Burnie
Grass Type: St. Aug
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: JD 717A

Post by Burnie »

Dizney wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:50 pm
So even with me putting the top soil and seed, there's a good chance that wouldn't kill them or have them leave?
Adding soil and seed will not affect the ants to any degree. They may have to rebuild their mounds, which they do after a mow or heavy rain, but I don't see where it would kill them or have them leave. Hit it with insecticide.
Owner/Certified Operator
Lawn Treatments (fert, weeds, insects), Interior Pest Control, Bee & Wasp Control.
Started doing Pest Control in 1992, Started my own business in 2006.

KoopHawk
Grass Type: Bluebank KBG
Lawn Size: 17k
Mower: Ariens IKON XD 52

Post by KoopHawk »

Dizney wrote:
Burnie wrote:
Thanks for the response!

They would leave. They would go right into your house. I had bare dirt this spring and lots of ants inside the house. The thicker the grass is getting, the fewer and fewer ants we're seeing.

Topic Author
Dizney

Post by Dizney »

KoopHawk wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:59 pm
Dizney wrote:
Burnie wrote:
Thanks for the response!

They would leave. They would go right into your house. I had bare dirt this spring and lots of ants inside the house. The thicker the grass is getting, the fewer and fewer ants we're seeing.
Oh wow. Mine are red ants though. I don't recall having red ant problems in the house. But either way, it sounds like killing the ants first is the way to go. Thanks everyone!

KoopHawk
Grass Type: Bluebank KBG
Lawn Size: 17k
Mower: Ariens IKON XD 52

Post by KoopHawk »

Dizney wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:10 pm
KoopHawk wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:59 pm
Dizney wrote:

Thanks for the response!

Oh wow. Mine are red ants though. I don't recall having red ant problems in the house. But either way, it sounds like killing the ants first is the way to go. Thanks everyone!
Mine were red too. Turns out red ants don't really like any of the any bait traps from the hardware store!