Mole Traps

A place to discuss DIY pest control
Gibby
Grass Type: Tahoma 31 and Princess 77
Lawn Size: 10,000sq/ft
Mower: JD 220E

Re: Mole Traps

Post by Gibby »

I am having no luck with the Victor Out O'Sight... Seems where ever I put it they go the opposite direction, even on tunnels less than 2 hours old...

Would this work with propane?

Easyluck
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda (5k)/Fescue back (7k)
Lawn Size: 12,000 sqft
Mower: Rotary

Post by Easyluck »

If they are going the opposite direction then they are searching food and probably not building an underground highway.

You set your traps on the highways. These are typically long and straight trails. Moles use these trails to travel back and forth. To find which trails are active, poke dime sized holes in the trail and mark the location. Come back the next day and if the hole is filled in then that is an active trail. Set your traps and you will have better luck.

pyperdoon
Grass Type: northern mix
Lawn Size: 1700 sq feet
Mower: Fiskars, electric

Post by pyperdoon »

Finally caught one in my back yard using a Trapline trap! Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone.

Topic Author
Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware »

pyperdoon wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:44 pm
Finally caught one in my back yard using a Trapline trap! Thanks for all the tips and advice everyone.
Congrats!

Mrotatori
Grass Type: KBG reno of 4000 SQ fall 2018
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: John Deere l110

Post by Mrotatori »

finally caught the mole that has been wreaking havoc through out my lawn. I tried earlier in the spring and summer to no avail. I have been trying to catch him again for the past three weeks. Today, I set the trap, and within three hours, it got the scissors. Bye Bye Mr. Mole.

pennstater2005
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 15,000 sq ft
Mower: Husqvarna YTH18K46

Post by pennstater2005 »

Mrotatori wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:15 am
finally caught the mole that has been wreaking havoc through out my lawn. I tried earlier in the spring and summer to no avail. I have been trying to catch him again for the past three weeks. Today, I set the trap, and within three hours, it got the scissors. Bye Bye Mr. Mole.

Sweet! Always a nice sight :twisted:
"Perfection, like infinity, is unobtainable, even at places like Augusta. It's the journey toward the goal that holds all the fun, joy, and reward." - dfw_pilot

Lawn Fertilizer Calculator

Credit

Mrotatori
Grass Type: KBG reno of 4000 SQ fall 2018
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: John Deere l110

Post by Mrotatori »

after catching a mole about a week ago, I thought that was it for moles in my yard. The mole that I caught I buried back in to the ground. To my surprise, the next day another mole decided to take over my lawn, along the same route. Set up two more traps, and today I got him. I hope this is it for the moles in my lawn. This one decided to pose for the camera.

TommyTester
Grass Type: Northern Mix/PR
Lawn Size: 9000
Mower: Troy Bilt 42' Hydro Rider

Post by TommyTester »

Mrotatori wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:31 am
today I got him.
Nice catch!

daniel3507
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1800sq ft

Post by daniel3507 »

Moles are starting to drive me crazy. They are doing a number on my lawn already. Put out some poison worms yesterday and set my Out-O-Sight trap. I haven't had any luck with it yet but am still trying. Also ordered a couple of the Traplines.

GrassAndWater12
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 5500 sq ft
Mower: John Deere JS28

Post by GrassAndWater12 »

I’ve been trapping moles for a few years now with great success. But this year I will find the highways, set a few traps, and they don’t use that highway again. But if I move the traps they will go back to using the highway where the traps used to be. Do I have the worlds smartest moles or do you think they are smelling something? I’m always careful to use gloves and have always killed many of them but this year they are just outsmarting me. I have two plunger type, and one scissor. I am pushing the tunnel down where the trigger will be and have even dug holes to get farther down with no success. Any suggestions?

bradleymichael
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8000
Mower: Troy Bilt rotary

Post by bradleymichael »

GrassAndWater12 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:11 am
I’ve been trapping moles for a few years now with great success. But this year I will find the highways, set a few traps, and they don’t use that highway again. But if I move the traps they will go back to using the highway where the traps used to be. Do I have the worlds smartest moles or do you think they are smelling something? I’m always careful to use gloves and have always killed many of them but this year they are just outsmarting me. I have two plunger type, and one scissor. I am pushing the tunnel down where the trigger will be and have even dug holes to get farther down with no success. Any suggestions?
I'm running into this same problem.... I find what I think is the "main tunnel" and then set the trap. Wake up the next day and the mole hasn't gone anywhere near the trap. I've worn gloves every time I have set the trap too. You guys sound like you slay the moles every single time you set a trap! What am I doing wrong?!

GrassAndWater12

My persistence paid off!! Haven’t had any tunnels in a long time. This one popped up one day, set the trap and the next morning snagged him.

Wolverine
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 16k
Mower: 2015 John Deere X300

Post by Wolverine »

Trapped this guy tonight. These trap line traps are great for smaller moles like the star nose.

kmw
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Earthwise 20-in

Post by kmw »

:| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: :bandit: :nod:
Last edited by kmw on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ngilbe36
Grass Type: TTTF and KBG
Lawn Size: 23500
Mower: 42in Toro

Post by Ngilbe36 »

After chemical killing, tilling, leveling and topdressing 1,800 sq/ft over the past week, I come out on Sunday to a mole hill and what looks like he had been doing donuts right in the middle of the area. I set my trap and 12 hours later he is no longer an issue. That makes my count 4 for this year.

Easyluck
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda (5k)/Fescue back (7k)
Lawn Size: 12,000 sqft

Post by Easyluck »

Usually when trapping an active trail I get some kind of activity within 24 hours. I like poke holes on either side of the trap. I’ve had a mole approach my trap several days in a row and turn around. I’ve also had moles make it past my trap. I would of never known about said activities without those holes.

GrassAndWater12

Looks like hunting season started early this year!

kmw
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10k
Mower: Earthwise 20-in

Post by kmw »

Caught another one in the act. That's two now in the past two months! Also, not killing the mole feels good. Almost as good as the feeling I got from dropping the mole off in a yard featuring a large political sign for the other side!