Cyzmic CS - I cant be reading this right?

A place to discuss DIY pest control
Topic Author
1fish2fish
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 12,350
Mower: Cub Cadet XT1 LT46

Cyzmic CS - I cant be reading this right?

Post by 1fish2fish »

Cyzmic CS = Lambda-cyhalothrin (Active Ingredient)

I think I am reading this incorrectly and would love some help (sanity check) from those more experienced. My lawn is 13,000 sq ft and I plan to use Cyzmic CS as part of my mosquito control strategy this year. It also goes by Demand CS and I am sure some other names as well.

The directions lead me to believe I am applying 2.3 oz in the midrange per 1000 sq ft diluted in 2-5 gal of water per 1000 sq ft. My sprayer lays down 1 gal per 1000sq ft. This means I would lay down 1.14 oz of Cyzmic CS diluted in 13 gallons of water twice per application. That can't be right...

What am I missing?

Last edited by 1fish2fish on Mon May 11, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gm560
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: GM1600 / Honda HRR216

Re: Cyzmic CS - I cant be reading this right?

Post by gm560 »

I think your spreadsheet is right, but I personally don't think you need to apply it to your lawn if targeting Mosquitoes. I usually only mix up 1 gallon for my quarter acre suburban lot and it decimates the population. Is that what you are questioning, putting down so much product?

Topic Author
1fish2fish

Post by 1fish2fish »

I'm questioning the amount of water. 26 gallons of water to 2.3 oz of Cyzmic CS seems a bit watered down.

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

I can believe it. The carrier would be to get more surface area with the product.

I don't apply it to the lawn either.

Topic Author
1fish2fish

Post by 1fish2fish »

OK, I'll bite:

1 - What do you use for mosquitoes on your lawn?
2 - Where do you use Cyzmic CS?

M5Pilot
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Scag Zero Turn

Post by M5Pilot »

I use a Stihl SR 430 to spray my yard for mosquitos as it's very efficient spraying a fine mist and I only mix 3 gallons for a wooded acre that has a lot of verticle spraying. I learned here before I got my feet wet that mosquitos like shade and stay under leaves, side of the house, and in bushes and are not on the lawn. This also gets the ticks. I get great verticle coverage with the 430 as it's the only Stihl sprayer out of the three that comes with an engine-driven pump already installed. Now fleas are another story as I use a hose-end sprayer for them as they are on the lawn. Cyzmic is a great choice. I also use Pivot 10 in every other spray to break their breeding cycle for fleas and mosquitos. That helps big time.

Topic Author
1fish2fish

Post by 1fish2fish »

How much Pivot 10 are you putting down and how often do you spray?

gm560
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: GM1600 / Honda HRR216

Post by gm560 »

I have posted this video on a few threads in the past. Here is how syngenta, makers of demand trains professional applicators to use their products for mosquito control. They use archer as the IGR (since they make it). Other IGRs like the aforementioned Pivot, or Nygard (what I use) would be fine, too. Some people use mist blowers, but I don't. Process is the same with a pump sprayer. In terms of where to spray, they address it @3:15 in the video. Also says @ 4:10 that lawns are not known for harboring mosquitos. Hopefully this is helpful. I know it was for me.

corneliani
Grass Type: TTTF front TifTuf Bermuda rear
Lawn Size: 12500
Mower: Honda HRX rotary

Post by corneliani »

I'm surrounded by wooded/natural areas and have used lambda-cyhalothrin for sod webworms, ticks, .. and armyworms one year. I mix/rotate with Bifen IT.
As for the carrier recommendation.. take it to understand that it needs to be watered in if applied on turf. You can accomplish this with 5-gal of water, or just irrigate it in after application. I think that's how most of us understand these heavy carrier recommendations, at least.

M5Pilot
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Scag Zero Turn

Post by M5Pilot »

1fish2fish wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:50 am
How much Pivot 10 are you putting down and how often do you spray?
I'm using 16 mL of pivot in 3 gallons. I use it every other time and get about 6-8 weeks between spraying when using a CS type insecticide in the middle of the summer when they are bad. The CS lasts longer so I don't have to suit up and spray as often. I forgot to mention I also use a sticker and ExciteR @ 1oz/gallon so 3oz which is for immediate knockdown.
Other good ones I've used in lieu of Cyzmic are Onslaught Fast Cap, and Lambda 9.7 CS. They last much longer than Bifen.

pestandturfpro
Grass Type: Cool season grasses.
Lawn Size: 5,500 sq ft
Mower: 52” Hydro Scag

Post by pestandturfpro »

You do not need to treat turf grass for proper/effective control of mosquitos. Actually, you shouldn’t treat turf grass at all for any insect- except flea or tick infestations. This helps to protect our pollinators, however subtle it may help.

mjh648
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: john deere gas

Post by mjh648 »

pestandturfpro wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:45 pm
You do not need to treat turf grass for proper/effective control of mosquitos. Actually, you shouldn’t treat turf grass at all for any insect- except flea or tick infestations. This helps to protect our pollinators, however subtle it may help.
I would have no lawn if I didn't treat for insects. Grubs, webworms, armyworms, cinch bugs are rampant here.

mjh648
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: john deere gas

Post by mjh648 »

g-man wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:10 pm
I can believe it. The carrier would be to get more surface area with the product.

I don't apply it to the lawn either.
Do you see anything wrong though with using lambda-cyhalothrin for lawn insects (webworms, armyworms, cinch bugs, etc)? Same group as bifenthrin and seems to last way longer. Was hoping to group this with imidacloprid so as not to have bugs develop resistance.

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man »

@mjh648 this is outside my knowledge area. Maybe someone will answer, but we are approaching the time of year that the site slows down in active members.

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000 + 4000 non-irri
Mower: McLane 25" Greenskeeper

Post by Spammage »

mjh648 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:32 am
pestandturfpro wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:45 pm
I would have no lawn if I didn't treat for insects. Grubs, webworms, armyworms, cinch bugs are rampant here.
And I would move if I couldn't treat the lawn for fire ants.

TSGarp007
Lawn Size: 10,000 sf
Mower: Honda Walk Behind

Post by TSGarp007 »

mjh648 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:50 am
Do you see anything wrong though with using lambda-cyhalothrin for lawn insects (webworms, armyworms, cinch bugs, etc)? Same group as bifenthrin and seems to last way longer. Was hoping to group this with imidacloprid so as not to have bugs develop resistance.
I don't know if it necessarily lasts longer if it is watered into the ground, but it is labeled for things.