Talk to me about rodent control...

A place to discuss DIY pest control
Ngilbe36
Grass Type: TTTF and KBG
Lawn Size: 23500
Mower: 42in Toro

Re: Talk to me about rodent control...

Post by Ngilbe36 »

Ive got the bait stations out in my garage and they seem to be relatively effective. I used glue traps once in the house and I never will again. Its a terrible way to go for the mouse and you often have to do it yourself. I use the resettable snap traps now and haven't had any issues in the past year (fingers crossed)

BobLovesGrass
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cool season, random mix
Lawn Size: 25,000sq ft.
Mower: 46" Craftsman YT4100

Post by BobLovesGrass »

For clarity.
I use snap traps heavily when I know there are rodents present. Sometimes with glueboard adjacent. Snap traps being reusable alone makes them nicer to use.
Glue boards I tend to use long term preventative where bait on a snap trap would go stale and stop being an attractant.

The glueboards not using bait mean you can just glance at them periodically but they stay ready for months without being touched.

At my place I can go months without having a rodent get caught in the shed or garages but leave the glue boards, soon as the weather starts to chill I begin baiting snap traps.

I do hear the concern about how long it takes, is a valid concern

majune06
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 0.20 acre
Mower: contractor

Post by majune06 »

Can someone tell me what rodent is this?

we are having some issues with rodents and want to get rid of them. I caught 3 of these about 15 days ago. I did have an incident when the traps were moved from the original place and looks like the rodent have decided to stay away for now, as there is nothing coming up in the snap traps anymore for 15 days

dicko1
Grass Type: A little bit of everything
Lawn Size: 3 acres
Mower: JD335 tractor

Post by dicko1 »

majune06

Post by majune06 »

Thanks for your reply dicko1

I have also seen the traps move. Would someone know if these move by field mice or may be there is a larger rodent in play in the home attic?

Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Honda HRR 216PDA

Post by Deadlawn »

majune06 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:45 am
Thanks for your reply dicko1

I have also seen the traps move. Would someone know if these move by field mice or may be there is a larger rodent in play in the home attic?
Traps move when they snap regardless of how. I have also had mice get a leg caught and move the trap quite a distance.
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

dicko1
Grass Type: A little bit of everything
Lawn Size: 3 acres
Mower: JD335 tractor

Post by dicko1 »

If you have a UV flashlight you can do some sleuthing and try to find where they're getting into the house. They leave a urine trail wherever they go which the UV flashlight will light up as a bright green trail, usually following walls. Do it at night with the lights out. It can tell you the most effect place to put your traps or if you're lucky, where they're coming in.

They seem to navigate by following this urine scent trail so if one mouse gets in, every other mouse knows how to do it too.

majune06

Post by majune06 »

Hello - I am thankful for the users of this forum. It gives newbies like me some thought on how to handle these unwanted guests. I haven't caught any mice for 10 days now and the camera setup in the attic (one part of the attic) did not pick on any motion, so I am not sure if there are anymore mice in the attic.

Although, I think there might be raccoon that might be trying to get in the attic (or might be getting in the attic from a place I do not know of). The reason is I have seen the raccoon on my roof everyday for the last 10 days and there are marks of scrapping on the wooden sides at the exterior.

Also, one of my electronic trap was moved and I guess that can be done only by a larger animal than a mice. View photos and give me your thoughts please.

I have a professional who is going to come and look at it but wanted to get all my queries lined up so I take care of this problem with the help from professionals.

440mag
Grass Type: Blend tall fescues
Lawn Size: 30,000sf (hills! :-/
Mower: JD X580, Bolens21”wMulchBlade

Post by 440mag »

Hmmm, a raccoon doesn’t go back to the same place THAT any times unless he smells something he thinks he can eat!

What are you using as bait in the mouse traps cuz, I’m a-wagering’ that’s what’s brought Rocky Raccoon to (or inside) your attic.

Remove any smells of anything edible and he’ll move on - all about survival for them, same as us all.
When it comes to everything, anytime I edit anything it is always because I forgot something! ;)