Grub Control

A place to discuss DIY pest control
Rucraz2
Grass Type: Nomix
Lawn Size: 44,700
Mower: John Deere x540

Re: Grub Control

Post by Rucraz2 »

Question for anyone. 3 yrs ago our neighborhood had a huge grub issue and foxes destroyed a majority of people's yards. Mine wasn't too bad as I hadn't done any preventative but got something down immediately and saved mine. Ever since I have I have sprayed Imidacloprid end of June which has worked great the previous years. I have been seeing little spots where animals are digging. Not tearing up the yard, but noticeable spots. I know we have a ton of Beatles this yr in the neighborhood. I haven't seen any grubs, but when I am seeing animals digging , does that mean they are possibly there?? My yard is the only green one on our street, but havent seen any other damage in others either? But in previous yrs it was mostly in the back yards.

Thick n Dense
Grass Type: Kentucky BG
Lawn Size: 8,000 sq ft
Mower: Toro TM

Post by Thick n Dense »

Rucraz2 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:22 am
Question for anyone. 3 yrs ago our neighborhood had a huge grub issue and foxes destroyed a majority of people's yards. Mine wasn't too bad as I hadn't done any preventative but got something down immediately and saved mine. Ever since I have I have sprayed Imidacloprid end of June which has worked great the previous years. I have been seeing little spots where animals are digging. Not tearing up the yard, but noticeable spots. I know we have a ton of Beatles this yr in the neighborhood. I haven't seen any grubs, but when I am seeing animals digging , does that mean they are possibly there?? My yard is the only green one on our street, but havent seen any other damage in others either? But in previous yrs it was mostly in the back yards.
Maybe the grubs are dead but there so the animals go for them

Bombers
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4200
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Bombers »

Mightyquinn wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:11 am
Lust4Lawn wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:39 am
I applied .6oz of imidacloprid in early May but this past weekend when I pumped my septic I had 8-12 grubs under the turf above my lid. I was kind of surprised but I have been struggling with other areas of the turf darkening like they are suffering drought stress. I picked up a bag of Bayer 24 hour (Dylox) and plan to spread it tonight and irrigate the following morning and I am due anyways.

There are som many conflicting points on when to apply imidacloprid for proper coverage. I think @Mightyquinn is on to something with the partial apps. My struggle is that the label states apply .6 oz/k for grubs and maximum annual rate is also .6 oz/k. This only leads me back to the conflicting data regarding the application timing.
You are correct in what the label says for Imidacloprid but another member reached out to the manufacturer and asked them about that and said it wouldn’t really do any damage doing what I do. I will try and find it as I think it’s on here somewhere.

I have been applying it every 3 months for years now with no ill effects that I know of.
Do you split that .6oz/k to .15oz every 3 months or do you apply .6 oz every time?

Mightyquinn
Grass Type: TifGrand (ST-5)
Lawn Size: 7,500 ft²
Mower: Baroness LM56(x2)

Post by Mightyquinn »

I apply .6oz/M every 3 months
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” -Thomas Sowell

SweLawn
Grass Type: Mainly fine fescue
Lawn Size: 7000
Mower: Robot Husqvarna

Post by SweLawn »

Anyone know if Pyrinex (chlorpyrifos) is safe for grass seeds , kbg ?

Frankzzz
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8000 sq ft
Mower: riding mower

Post by Frankzzz »

Thick n Dense wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:00 am
Imadiclorpid (butchered it) is the curative right ?

I could theoritcally put this down twice a year and avoid using preventitive all together right?
Imidacloprid and chlorantraniliprole are preventive.
Dylox (trichlorfon) and Sevin (carbaryl) are curative.
How to choose and when to apply grub control products for your lawn.

Frankzzz
Lawn Size: 8000 sq ft
Mower: riding mower

Post by Frankzzz »

For everyone who uses the MSU - Michigan State University article for guidance -
"How to choose and when to apply grub control products for your lawn."
https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/how_to_ch ... _your_lawn

I emailed the author of the article (a doctor and professor of entomology at MSU) and asked him about the recommended dates of applications. He said those recommended dates in the article are for the Michigan area, so everyone needs to adjust the dates according to their own particular area of the country. I specifically asked him about the Southeast US, such as Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas. He said it would range from about 4 weeks earlier [than the dates in the article] for south Georgia to about 3 weeks earlier for the Carolinas. Everyone should check with their own local Extension office for more specific timing for their area.

I also asked about Sevin and carbaryl, and he said he would be updating the article to show under the Available Curative Products that the Sevin Lawn Insect Granules no longer contains carbaryl.

SodFace
Grass Type: KBG/PRG/Red Fescue
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Husqvarna 21" Honda

Post by SodFace »

Nice work @Frankzzz - hope you mentioned we're big fans of his article here :D

Bombers
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4200
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Bombers »

theycallme_d wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:22 pm
Amazon and Walmart have 14.35-Lb Scotts GrubEx1 Season Long Grub Killer (5000 sq. ft.) on sale for $15

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050DV4ZW/re ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotts-Grub- ... r/17190373
Quoted from Hot Deals thread. Jump on it fellas.

cldrunner
Lawn Size: 20,000
Mower: Riding and TORO TimeMaster

Post by cldrunner »

I ended up having a small area of White Grubs in my front yard. I use Bifen(not labeled for Grubs)every few months and Imidacloprid a few months ago. @Greendoc reccommeded in a post I can not find now to use Dylox for curative control.

I am buying some Dylox but also found the Bioadvanced 24 Hour Grub Killer Plus Granules have the same active ingredient
Trichlorfon..

If you have a smaller lawn the 10lb bag covers 5K.
https://www.bioadvanced.com/products/la ... ler-plus-i

I made all the classic rookie mistakes. We have not had much rain this summer so when I first saw the area I though it was not getting enough water. I have had Take all Patch in the past so I threw down some azoxystrobin and propiconazole to try and help. Finally got down on my hands and knees and the grass pulled right up in that area and those little white monsters were feasting on my roots.

Jbird95
Grass Type: Zorro ZoysiaBack/Bermuda Front
Lawn Size: 30000
Mower: Gravley

Post by Jbird95 »

@cldrunner
FYI- Grubex1 currently 50% off on Amazon. 3 bag limit. 1 bag covers 5K. This is the preventive stuff.