Worm problem

A place to discuss DIY pest control
Post Reply
Topic Author
Prospect
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:49 pm
Location: Gig Harbor,WA
Grass Type: PRG
Lawn Size: 5000sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1600

Worm problem

Post by Prospect »

I have a friend that is cutting between a quarter of a inch to 1/2 inch height of cut. His problem is worms. He says he has worm casings all over. He says when he mows it is actually flinging the dirt all over and dulling his reel. He has tried grub killer and diazinon.
What can I recommend for him to try and remedy his issue?

User avatar
The Anti-Rebel
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:18 pm
Location: Delmar, DE
Grass Type: Every Type
Lawn Size: 1.63 Acres
Mower: Toro Timecutter

Re: Worm problem

Post by The Anti-Rebel »

worms=good. castings=good
sweep/drag/blow them into the canopy before mowing,

Topic Author
Prospect
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:49 pm
Location: Gig Harbor,WA
Grass Type: PRG
Lawn Size: 5000sf
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1600

Re: Worm problem

Post by Prospect »

The Anti-Rebel wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:02 am
worms=good. castings=good
sweep/drag/blow them into the canopy before mowing,
I’ve been telling him that you want worms that they are good, but he insists on wanting to get rid of them.
Great idea about blowing or dragging before mowing. I will pass that on.
Any other ideas from anyone else ? Please chime in

User avatar
Ware
Site Admin
Posts: 9466
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Alma, Arkansas
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600
Contact:

Re: Worm problem

Post by Ware »

I’ve been there - too many earthworms can definitely cause some problems when managing reel low turf. There are some ways to thin the herd a little...

http://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/turfx/ar ... 8mar3b.pdf

timtimotej
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 am
Location: Slovenia
Grass Type: Kbg/prg
Lawn Size: 3,200sq ft(300sq m)
Mower: Husqvarna LC 247, HiCut 64

Re: Worm problem

Post by timtimotej »

I collected probably 5-7 kg of nightcrawlers this fall (100m2). I used red light(they don’t see red and green spectrum of light) and tweezers for picking them.
Next spring I will use imidacloprid for little nightcrawlers which I didn’t pick and hope for the best.
I reduced population a lot, but I want to get rid of them.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5d6b/7 ... ec9815.pdf

Post Reply