mattw10517
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: Honda HRX

Re: Mosquito Control Basics

Post by mattw10517 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:14 am

Boberto wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:44 am
This is my first time trying to 'control' mosquitos in my yard. I do have a wood/marsh tree line in the back of my house and not much vegetation else where. For my first attempt, I'm going to see if I can get away with using just Cutter's backyard spray https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cutter-32-f ... /100211822 to really just hit the wooded area to hopefully get a bulk of them, and then go to the tiki/bug zapper type items on the decks.

It would be nice to not have to buy something like a mist-blower and another 1-2 bottles of chemicals, but we'll see!
I used the Cutter product with pretty good success last year. Helps with the mosquitos and preventing bag worms in my arborvitae. I stocked up earlier this year when Amazon has it for $5 a bottle. Thus far I’m a happy customer. I sprayed maybe 2 weeks ago and didn’t notice any mosquitos sitting outside last night.

jjepeto
Grass Type: Bermuda (f), TF/KBG (b)
Lawn Size: 5,000 sqft
Mower: Ryobi 40v

Post by jjepeto » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:45 am

I thought I'd share this picture I took of the sticky card from my BG GAT trap. This is about 3 weeks of catch. We got a bunch of rain so I wanted to put a fresh card in for the swarm of mosquitoes that always comes a few days after a rain.

So far I'm really happy with the trap. I would like to get 2 more so that I can have better coverage. I got mine and put it out sometime in June, but next year I will put it out much earlier so that it's out when the first ones of the year emerge. Un-scientifically, I feel like I've noticed a stark difference in the amount of mosquitoes flying around and number of bites. I spent one evening around dusk picking veggies in the garden without bug spray and had no bites!

Jconnelly6b
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cool season mix
Lawn Size: 13,500 sqft
Mower: Cub Cadet XT2 42”

Post by Jconnelly6b » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:08 pm

Just sprayed first app of Talstar P this evening after messing around with Mavrik Perimeter for the last year with little success.

Worried about the pollinators but I didn’t spray any of them, only evergreens and 6’ up the perimeter of the house.

Also worried about the “outside cats” that my wife feeds on the porch. One of them absolutely would not go away when I was spraying the porch and then later she was laying right against the wall. Read the fact sheet and it seems there should be little to no effect at the use concentration, but when you read how it causes paralysis at higher concentrations it’s a little scary.

jhealy748
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 24000
Mower: John Deere 3215A

Post by jhealy748 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:47 pm

I am at work so I can't check right now but I am guessing Talstar P and Tempo SC are the same AI? I have just always used Tempo and hadn't hear d of the Talstar P before. My concern is that I was told that Tempo will kill grass etc. and wondered if this was true. I will make sure to spray all the vertical surfaces of my home and hopefully keep it off the grass. I never knew it wasn't the grass that they came from! Thanks for all the info I learn something new everyday here at TLF!

stogie1020
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 900SqFt
Mower: Scott's 20in Push Reel

Post by stogie1020 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:23 pm

What are all of your thoughts on wearing a mask while spraying Bifen (Talstar) along with other herbicides, etc. and what type would you recommend?

Would something like this be effective?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NMFLU2/?c ... _lig_dp_it
Last edited by stogie1020 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gilley11
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2000 sq ft
Mower: JD rider

Post by Gilley11 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:11 pm

If spraying with a backpack sprayer or garden sprayer I personally wouldn't worry about the mask. Just don't spray on a windy day or anything. If you're spraying it with a fogger, wear a mask. The mask you linked will do. I actually won't spray any chemicals on a windy day.
Last edited by Gilley11 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stogie1020

Post by stogie1020 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:30 pm

@Gilley11 Thanks. When I spray (with handheld tank sprayer), I often spray the eaves of the house and above my head when I am spraying windows, and I just want to try to protect myself as much as I can within reason. Plus, the mask will scare the neighbors :D .
Last edited by stogie1020 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuncanMcDonuts
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3500
Mower: Baroness LM56/EGO 21" SP

Post by DuncanMcDonuts » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:47 pm

I wear that mask while spraying anything. Fertilizer, soil amendments, pre/post emergents, insecticides. doesn't matter. My neighbors can judge me while envying my lawn.

stogie1020

Post by stogie1020 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks Duncan, good to know it works.

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Post by g-man » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:52 am

@stogie1020 I think the label describes what to wear. That one's looks pretty good.

stogie1020

Post by stogie1020 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 am

Thanks g-man, I think it's rated for 100% VOCs so it should be effective for the fine mist of what I spray. I have a 2 1/2 year old who is potty training and a 2 month old who is not, I will test the mask out in those extreme conditions and see if it really filters everything out...

ScottW
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 5,000
Mower: Lawn Boy 10523

Post by ScottW » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:51 pm

TN Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:12 pm
I sprayed our front porch area with BIfen and have seen no change to the damn wood boring bees. They are still eating the hell out of our bench out front.
A few months late for this reply to be of use to you, but maybe to someone else...
Carpenter bees just love my wood fence posts, and they seem remarkably resistant to many sprays. The insecticide cocktails most people use for mosquitoes don't seem to prevent them. I've hit them squarely with a stream from those 20-ft jet wasp & hornet spray cans and they keep hovering like nothing happened. If these products do anything to carpenter bees, it sure doesn't happen quickly.
What actually works is a dusting product e.g. delta dust applied on/into the holes as soon as you notice them. You should start seeing dead carpenter bees within a day or two. They'll vacate the premises for a little while, then in another month or two you'll have to dust the wood again to discourage others that will try to move in. It's a constant battle, but the dust will git 'em. :thumbup:

As for skeeters, I do the Talstar P + NyGuard combo tank mixed in my backpack sprayer. Talstar at 1 oz/gal and NyGuard at 3 ml/gal. On 1/3 acre in the 'burbs with a privacy fenced back yard, I need 4 gallons to cover the entire fence up to 6 ft off the ground, all exterior walls of house, sides of storage sheds, the front porch area, window sills, under the eaves, around tree trunks, underside of shrub foliage, undersides of patio furniture. This is essentially any vertical surface, and the underside of anything where they would like to grab some shade during the mid-day heat and sun, only avoiding bee & butterfly areas and any plants that I might eventually eat.

From late spring through fall this year I only needed 3 applications of the Talstar + NyGuard combo to keep skeeters suppressed pretty well. It surely helped that we had no significant rain for most of August & September. Products probably stuck around longer, plus the drier conditions were less conducive for skeeter breeding. In previous years with more typical rain amounts I've done 4 apps, typically once a month or so, non-scientifically determined by whenever I notice them increasing in number again.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:43 pm

What time of year in the Northeast should I start putting out mosquito drunks in standing water again?

Last year I started seeing the first few mosquitoes in mid or late Feb while the ground was still frozen. Do they survive the Winter?
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Bermuda_Newbie
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Swardman Electra 18"

Post by Bermuda_Newbie » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Green wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:43 pm
What time of year in the Northeast should I start putting out mosquito drunks in standing water again?

Last year I started seeing the first few mosquitoes in mid or late Feb while the ground was still frozen. Do they survive the Winter?
I read an article about this. It's true that most mosquitoes go away once the temperatures reach a certain low but they've found that some live in freezing climates under rocks and around water where the temperature in that spot allows them to survive.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Bermuda_Newbie wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm
I read an article about this. It's true that most mosquitoes go away once the temperatures reach a certain low but they've found that some live in freezing climates under rocks and around water where the temperature in that spot allows them to survive.
That's interesting! You would think some must survive over Winter. And there so many species.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.