Lawn Care Forum banner

Mosquito Control Basics

146K views 227 replies 73 participants last post by  mosquitorepel22 
#1 ·
I have no trees in my back yard. Is spraying Talstar P on my lawn my other option? Maybe spray neighbor's trees along my fence line? What success have you had controlling mosquitos? I'm in Dallas.

#12 ·
Dallaslawnnut said:
Austinite said:
I used permethrin Last year, had incredible success against just about every insect, including mosquitoes. You can spray it just about anywhere. Didn't stain anything for me, used it inside and outside.
Did you spray your fence and lawn?
Yes, fence, lawn, trees, concrete slabs, window frames, weeping holes, you name it...

#13 ·
Austinite said:
Dallaslawnnut said:
Austinite said:
I used permethrin Last year, had incredible success against just about every insect, including mosquitoes. You can spray it just about anywhere. Didn't stain anything for me, used it inside and outside.
Did you spray your fence and lawn?
Yes, fence, lawn, trees, concrete slabs, window frames, weeping holes, you name it...
That's intense! Do you only spray those parts near your back yard?

#16 ·
Dallaslawnnut said:
SCGrassMan said:
Also, put up a bat house! They eat tons of bugs. I have one I need to put up.
Need to know more! Is there one you recommend? Can it go anywhere on side of house?
Yes to all of the above!

It likes south facing, so that when the sun comes up they get warmed up.

Here's the one I bought:

Premium Bat House | Made in USA | Western Red Cedar | Ready to install | Ideal Bat Shelter for extremely hot to warm climates | Environmentally Responsible Eco-Friendly Mosquito Control | Cedar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752S3572/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_JlxxCbC6JKVWT

It's made in the USA and is well made.

I'm fully onboard with chemical treatments as well (although I haven't done any but I just might this year), but it's nice to throw in some nature when you can as well. If you don't mind being the guy in the neighborhood that does things like put up bat houses, mow your lawn with a greensmower, etc. :)

#17 ·
I have tried a lot of different products but keep going back to Hi-Yield 38% permethrin and spray my entire yard, around house, on walls of house, under porches, etc and it keeps EVERYTHING away, especially the mosquitos. I spray every 2-3 weeks.

I live on the lake so I can tell you all about mosquito problems! Those and those darn swarms of blind mosquitos (aquatic midges) which begin to swarm while walking through my yard when it is time for another spraying.

#19 ·
bassadict69 said:
I have tried a lot of different products but keep going back to Hi-Yield 38% permethrin and spray my entire yard, around house, on walls of house, under porches, etc and it keeps EVERYTHING away, especially the mosquitos. I spray every 2-3 weeks.

I live on the lake so I can tell you all about mosquito problems! Those and those darn swarms of blind mosquitos (aquatic midges) which begin to swarm while walking through my yard when it is time for another spraying.
Is that Talstar P?

#20 ·
Bermuda_Newbie said:
Greendoc said:
No. Mosquitoes do not land on short cut grass. They want dense foliage and vertical surfaces.
Is this true of all types of mosquitoes? We have a new one (Aedes Aegypti) in this area and it can spawn in very little water. How short is short enough?
Reel cut grass is not attractive to mosquitoes. On golf courses, they come out of the tree hazards.

#21 ·
Dallaslawnnut said:
bassadict69 said:

Is that Talstar P?
No. Permethrin is not Talstar. Talstar is Bifenthrin. Permethrin is different in how fast it knocks down insects that touch it. Only thing faster is natural Pyrethrin. Except Permethrin lasts a lot longer on surfaces vs Pyrethrin. Pyrethrin only lasts a day if not hours.

#22 ·
Greendoc said:
Dallaslawnnut said:
bassadict69 said:

Is that Talstar P?
No. Permethrin is not Talstar. Talstar is Bifenthrin. Permethrin is different in how fast it knocks down insects that touch it. Only thing faster is natural Pyrethrin. Except Permethrin lasts a lot longer on surfaces vs Pyrethrin. Pyrethrin only lasts a day if not hours.
Is bifenthrin a better product than permethrin? I want to spray as few times as possible this summer :)

#228 ·
Is bifenthrin a better product than permethrin? I want to spray as few times as possible this summer :)
Permethrin is quicker in action, when insects and mosquitoes come in contact with it they immediately shows the sign of paralysis.Whereas Bifenthrin takes atleast 10 min to show its effect.But Bifenthrin is effective for longer time ,its effective against insects for up to 90 days.

#24 ·
Greendoc said:
Not really. The two are about equal in residual effect. If I want residual effect, I start looking at Demand CS. That is what I use for outdoor insect control. 3-4 applications in a place with a 12 month bug season is not bad.
I own a new jug of Talstar P. Is it worth it to shelve it and get the Demand CS? My plan is to spray the fence, lawn, and outdoor wall surfaces in my backyard. I have zero trees or standing water. Gutters all clean too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.