Warm Season Weed ID Thread - What is it and how do I kill it?

Need help identifying a weed?
jbow03
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6,000
Mower: Jacobson 526a, Honda Rotary

Re: Warm Season Weed ID Thread - What is it and how do I kill it?

Post by jbow03 »

notyoubutyoo wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:04 am
Recently purchased a newly built home in Dfw area. We have Bermuda grass, wonder what type of weed this is and how to kill it.

Those look like bermuda runners which is a good thing! That's your grass naturally trying to grow and expand. Typically, you just clip them back when your trimming/edging the concrete.

I've heard of people clipping and planting the runners in thin or bare spots to fill in. See timestamp 7:40 in the video below from LCN:

notyoubutyoo
Lawn Size: 1500
Mower: not purchased yet

Post by notyoubutyoo »

@jbow03 Thank you so much, I was about to nuke it celsius thinking it was a weed. I'm new to homeowner and new to lawncare.

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000 + 4000 non-irri
Mower: McLane 25" Greenskeeper

Post by Spammage »

notyoubutyoo wrote:
Recently purchased a newly built home in Dfw area. We have Bermuda grass, wonder what type of weed this is and how to kill it.

Those are bermuda stolons. Essentially the way that bermuda grass spreads.

Two9tene
Lawn Size: 4,516 sq ft
Mower: GreensMaster 1000 (Mdl. 04052)

Post by Two9tene »

notyoubutyoo wrote:

Not a weed if your lawn is Bermuda. Looks like “red threaded” Common Bermuda. That sir is there to stay in your lawn.
"One of the great challenges in life, is knowing enough to think you’re right, but not enough to know you’re wrong" - Neil Degrasse Tyson :roll:
2018-2019 Journal

Two9tene

Post by Two9tene »

theKOkid wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:30 pm
Anyone know that this unholy nightmare is? It looks like it belongs in a fish tank and not a lawn.

Looks like “burnt” nutsedge! Do you have a lawn service?
"One of the great challenges in life, is knowing enough to think you’re right, but not enough to know you’re wrong" - Neil Degrasse Tyson :roll:
2018-2019 Journal

Chrisholmes02
Grass Type: Bermuda & St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 3700
Mower: Toro Recycler

Post by Chrisholmes02 »

Any idea what type of weed this is? It just started popping up like crazy in the last couple of weeks when the bermuda started coming out of dormancy. You can see it in the larger, darker green patches in the lawn. The bermuda is lighter and thinner.

I was thinking about just blanket spraying a mixture of Celsius, monument, negate, MSMA, and 2,4d. But not sure if that’s overkill.

Wilbursan
Grass Type: Fescue

Post by Wilbursan »

I've got these two popping up all over my yard. T-Zone didn't seem to touch it. I'm in Alabama and have Fescue. The smaller one is white-topped in the yard, looks darker with flash inside. I can't get a good picture of the tall one outside. They are more spread out and just don't show upon camera very well. I'll try again. What will kill this in Fescue?

Wilbursan

Post by Wilbursan »

Better picture of the tall weed.

SoCalBermuda
Lawn Size: 3,000
Mower: Mclane 20" 7 blade reel

Post by SoCalBermuda »

Wilbursan wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:02 am
I've got these two popping up all over my yard. T-Zone didn't seem to touch it. I'm in Alabama and have Fescue. The smaller one is white-topped in the yard, looks darker with flash inside. I can't get a good picture of the tall one outside. They are more spread out and just don't show upon camera very well. I'll try again. What will kill this in Fescue?

The smaller one is Poa annua, also known as annual bluegrass. DoMyOwn has a handy guide: https://www.domyown.com/how-to-kill-poa ... a-572.html

DaltonAbner

Post by DaltonAbner »

Where do I even start??

Trs
Grass Type: Centipede, St. Augustine, Berm
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: John Deere riding mower

Post by Trs »

I put out about 200 pounds of granular Prodiamine on my ,7 acre lawn in February. I'm starting to see this weed in my yard and need to know what it is, and what I can use to kill it in a lawn that has Bermuda, St. Augustine, and Centipede grasses.

Thanks for any help!

Wilbursan

Post by Wilbursan »

SoCalBermuda wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:04 pm
Wilbursan wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:02 am

The smaller one is Poa annua, also known as annual bluegrass. DoMyOwn has a handy guide: https://www.domyown.com/how-to-kill-poa ... a-572.html

It looks like everything they suggest will also kill Tall Fescue, which is what I have. Any suggestions?

Two9tene

Post by Two9tene »

Trs wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:49 am
I put out about 200 pounds of granular Prodiamine on my ,7 acre lawn in February. I'm starting to see this weed in my yard and need to know what it is, and what I can use to kill it in a lawn that has Bermuda, St. Augustine, and Centipede grasses.

Thanks for any help!

Here you go brother:

Any broad leaf herbicide should do the trick.
2018-2019 Journal

Light of the World
Grass Type: Tif Bermuda, TTTF and KGB
Lawn Size: 5,000
Mower: Honda HRC216HXA

Post by Light of the World »

Hello Gentlemen, I was hoping you guys could help me with some weed ID. I am in Oklahoma City, soil temps have been averaging 55F for the last several weeks with some fluctuations. I applied prodiamine DG GRANULAR in split apps. Since I skipped preemergent in the fall I had a lot of winter weeds. I hit them with a combo of Image and speed zone on my Tif Bermuda, It knocked out the chickweed and the henbit but didn't do squat to the Poa. Thanks in advance.

Trs
Grass Type: Centipede, St. Augustine, Berm
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: John Deere riding mower

Post by Trs »

I have a lot of Poa in my south Georgia lawn that is turning yellow and dying due to the warmer weather (80's).
Like you, I didn't apply a fall pre-emergent. In mid February I applied 200 pounds of granular Prodiamine to my roughly one acre lawn for crabgrass and goosegrass control. As of today, I am seeing some broadleaf weeds, but no signs of grassy weeds. I'm not planning to do anything to the existing Poa, other than pulling the occasional five gallon bucket of it.

I won't miss the fall pre-emergent application this year, but figure its too late for post-emergent Poa control this year. I think mine will be gone in less than a month.

Two9tene

Post by Two9tene »

Light of the World wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 pm
Hello Gentlemen, I was hoping you guys could help me with some weed ID. I am in Oklahoma City, soil temps have been averaging 55F for the last several weeks with some fluctuations. I applied prodiamine DG GRANULAR in split apps. Since I skipped preemergent in the fall I had a lot of winter weeds. I hit them with a combo of Image and speed zone on my Tif Bermuda, It knocked out the chickweed and the henbit but didn't do squat to the Poa. Thanks in advance.

As I suspected it’s Poa brother! Fellow okie over here down near Fort Sill.

2018-2019 Journal

Awar
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,200 sq-ft
Mower: Swardman Edwin 2.1 55

Post by Awar »

I'm trying to help recover my in laws' neglected bermuda lawn and applied pre-emergent in February and treated for broadkeaf weeds last week. Can you help identify this grassy weed? It's been there through the winter. Location is Metro Atlanta area in GA.

Thanks!

My bermudagrass lawn journal - from sod (2016) to present: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18372

Two9tene

Post by Two9tene »

Awar wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:29 pm
I'm trying to help recover my in laws' neglected bermuda lawn and applied pre-emergent in February and treated for broadkeaf weeds last week. Can you help identify this grassy weed? It's been there through the winter. Location is Metro Atlanta area in GA.

Thanks!

Looks like Tall Fescue to me!
2018-2019 Journal

ionicatoms
Grass Type: St. Augustine (Palmetto)
Lawn Size: 7100 sq. ft.
Mower: Toro 21386

Post by ionicatoms »

Looks like Creeping Charlie.

BakerGreenLawnMaker wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:40 pm
Any ideas what this may be? It’s been in my SA since I moved in back in 2016, I’ve applied 2,4-D to it, even though that’s a no no on SA, and I’ve applied atrazine and it doesn’t do much except for discolor the leaves.

Light of the World
Grass Type: Tif Bermuda, TTTF and KGB
Lawn Size: 5,000
Mower: Honda HRC216HXA

Post by Light of the World »

Two9tene wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:05 pm
Light of the World wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 pm

As I suspected it’s Poa brother! Fellow okie over here down near Fort Sill.

Ughhhh!!!! What do you do to manage it? I am thinking of biting the bullet and buying some Tribute Total