Topic Author
SPFriz
Grass Type: Centipede w/ some bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,000sqft
Mower: Cheap rotary

Virginia Buttonweed?

Post by SPFriz »

Hi Folks,

First time yard owner and perhaps budding lawn nerd. Been learning a lot from the interwebs and especially this forum over the summer and early fall. I've had success controlling what I've come to learn are kyllinga, florida pusley, lespedeza, poverty rush and other intruders. One that doesn't seem to be responding well is shown in the pics. The PictureThis app has variously identified it as Green Carpetweed, Poorjoe, False Daisy, Bracted fanpetals, and Shoreline sea purslane. However, when I look at other photos of these weeds, they don't seem to fit. Other "research" is pointing me toward Virginia Buttonweed. What do you all think?

SouthernCharms
Grass Type: centipede grass
Lawn Size: 1.2 acres
Mower: '78 Cub Cadet 1650 Hydro

Re: Virginia Buttonweed?

Post by SouthernCharms »

The leaves and little white buds give it away. Virginia Buttonweed

Live Oak
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 3000 sqft
Mower: Rotary

Post by Live Oak »

Yep, definitely Buttonweed. Very difficult to control - I haven’t found a pre-emergent that works and it usually requires multiple applications of a strong broadleaf post-emergent herbicide (Celsius, MSM, etc) to get decent results.

Topic Author
SPFriz
Grass Type: Centipede w/ some bermuda
Lawn Size: 5,000sqft
Mower: Cheap rotary

Post by SPFriz »

Thank you for the confirmation. I have been thinking about ordering Celsius but have read warnings about how easy it is to over-apply and severely damage the grass. Below is the sprayer I've been using. Is it adequate or do I need something more accurate?

Scotts 190567 Lithium-Ion Battery Powered Pump Zero Technology Sprayer, 2 Gallon, White
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NN ... UTF8&psc=1