Cool Season Weed ID Thread - What is it and how do I kill it?

Need help identifying a weed?
Powhatan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KY-31 & NoMix with clover
Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Rotary

Re: Cool Season Weed ID Thread - What is it and how do I kill it?

Post by Powhatan »

Tate549 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:59 pm
I think this is the same weed that I posted in this thread awhile back but took some recent pics to confirm what it is.

I did a full renovation on 9/16. Sowed tttf 9/13 and have mowed 10 times since and I'm in 6B. Should I apply herbicide now or wait until spring and what should I use.

Looks like Creeping Charlie and Chickweed.

Aceman
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: 1.25 acres
Mower: Toro zero turn 50"

Post by Aceman »

Hey guys, I'm new here and have lots of questions. So get ready!

These pics are in my back yard in Northeast PA. What's necessary to kill it and get grass going next spring? Thanks.

Northeast Pennsylvania.

4 year old son known as Lil Bear

Fescue to the rescue!?

Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Honda HRR 216PDA

Post by Deadlawn »

Deleted.
Last edited by Deadlawn on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

Deadlawn

Post by Deadlawn »

Aceman wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:54 pm

These pics are in my back yard in Northeast PA. What's necessary to kill it and get grass going next spring? Thanks.

The dead grass is probably crabgrass. It is an annual and dies as soon as temps go down into the 30's. However, it is a prolific seeder. You can put down a pre-emergent weed control in the spring when the neighborhood forsythias bloom. Or you can wait until next August or Sept., dump some compost on the areas and seed new grass.

Crabgrass needs heat and sun to germinate. Mow as high as you can during the warm summer months as tall, thick grass will shade the ground and lessen germination of crabgrass.
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

Deadlawn

Post by Deadlawn »

Deadlawn wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:06 pm
Aceman wrote:

The dead grass is probably crabgrass. It is an annual and dies as soon as temps go down into the 30's. However, it is a prolific seeder. You can put down a pre-emergent weed control in the spring when the neighborhood forsythias bloom. Or you can wait until next August or Sept., dump some compost on the areas and seed new grass. You could also try that in spring, but in general, fall planting has a better chance of success as it has three seasons before it faces the toughest time of all - summer heat.

Crabgrass needs heat and sun to germinate. Mow as high as you can during the warm summer months as tall, thick grass will shade the ground and lessen germination of crabgrass.

Aceman
Grass Type: Tall fescue
Lawn Size: 1.25 acres
Mower: Toro zero turn 50"

Post by Aceman »

Deadlawn wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:06 pm
Aceman wrote:

The dead grass is probably crabgrass. It is an annual and dies as soon as temps go down into the 30's. However, it is a prolific seeder. You can put down a pre-emergent weed control in the spring when the neighborhood forsythias bloom. Or you can wait until next August or Sept., dump some compost on the areas and seed new grass.

I didn't think it was crabgrass cause the rest of the CG died off and regrew as "regular" grass. But this section has always been a mess. Thanks for the tip. I'll try the pre-e. Thanks again
Northeast Pennsylvania.

4 year old son known as Lil Bear

Fescue to the rescue!?

Jersey_diy
Grass Type: Tttf & kbg(midnight/mazama)& p
Lawn Size: 16,000 sq
Mower: 42 inch ride on

Post by Jersey_diy »

What does everyone thing about this, Think it has stolons, easy to pull out..But I am positive this is not Poa T or A. Also how do I destroy this...I don't want to kill it nicely....It is spreading quite fastly through my renovation...Renovation is KBG(80%) & PRG(20%). Some lingering TTTF that was doing so nicely that i couldn't bare to kill it.

Jersey_diy

Post by Jersey_diy »

bump...anyone have any clue what this is?

KoopHawk
Grass Type: Bluebank KBG
Lawn Size: 17k
Mower: Ariens IKON XD 52

Post by KoopHawk »

With the thickness and roughness of the blades, I would lean towards tall fescue? Would need a better, up close picture of the collar to be sure. If it is TF you're going to have to go through an application of glyphosate , maybe two.

Jersey_diy

Post by Jersey_diy »

It seemed like it had rhizomes, I will have to pull another out of the ground this weekend. If it is tall fescue can I help control it by mowing low like 1.5 to 2 inches?