Need help identifying a weed?
Topic Author
Snaclerio11
Grass Type: Kentucky and rye fescue
Lawn Size: 25,000sq’
Mower: Toro 22" recycler

Please help with identifying

Post by Snaclerio11 »

So I’ve been going back and forth with a lot of people and have not really received a solid answer on if I have poa triv or orchard grass. I did a tenacity app on the 22nd no surfactant and I have a lawn that’s bleached. I don’t want to miss the opportunity to kill off the lawn for a renovation next year. Should I do a tenacity app with surfactant to light up the problem areas again ? Thank you in advanced.

Powhatan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KY-31 & NoMix
Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Rotary

Re: Please help with identifying

Post by Powhatan »

Poa triv or orchardgrass removal in a cool season grass is the same: dig it out with roots or spray glyphosate to kill down to the roots, then sod or re-seed.

You might be able to send in digital samples to your state extension office so they can ID the plants.

http://wyoming.cce.cornell.edu/agricult ... tification

PALawnGuy5
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 5000 sq ft
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by PALawnGuy5 »

Snaclerio11 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:16 pm
So I’ve been going back and forth with a lot of people and have not really received a solid answer on if I have poa triv or orchard grass. I did a tenacity app on the 22nd no surfactant and I have a lawn that’s bleached. I don’t want to miss the opportunity to kill off the lawn for a renovation next year. Should I do a tenacity app with surfactant to light up the problem areas again ? Thank you in advanced.

I'm in the same boat as you - and that boat is fully of frustration and misery.

After 2 years of a beautiful dark green carpet-like yard, it's now blotchy with poa triv. I'm torn between nuking it and looking at brown dead spots all summer or waiting to nuke and re-seed in the fall.

dicko1
Grass Type: A little bit of everything
Lawn Size: 3 acres
Mower: JD335 tractor

Post by dicko1 »

Snaclerio
I dont think thats Orchardgrass. Orchardgrass is a really really coarse bladed grass with a flat stem and its blades have a bluish green color.

What you have looks like Triv to me. Your stems are rounded and have that crinkly appearance of Triv in that last photo.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

Post by Green »

@Snaclerio11, that does look like Triv to me...
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.