Lawn Care Forum banner

Warm Season Weed ID Thread - What is it and how do I kill it?

629K views 3K replies 578 participants last post by  Victor Von Lawn 
#1 ·
Warm Season Weed ID Thread - What is it and how do I kill it?

#2,603 ·
That's what I was thinking. So I've been studying the Bayer website and their products. It looks like Tribute Total is my best bet and just spot treat the crabgrass. What do you think?

Also, will this crabgrass die off on the winter and then what does everyone recommend for pre-emergent to try to keep it at bay next year?

#2,604 ·
I have had it with my lawn! I am losing sleep over this.

I have asked local experts and reviewed many posts in this thread and can't figure out what type of weed or undesirable grass I have and how to kill it. I am confident this team can identify and help.

I have tried quinclorac, Ortho Weed B Gone Chickweed, clover and Oxalis Killer, Ortho Weed B Gone Crabgrass Control, Tenacity, and 2-4-D and these seem to just improve the growth of weed or undesirable grass.

The desirable grass is Kentucky blue 75% and fescue 25%.

Would you kindly help?

Attached is a patch in my lawn and a pic of an isolated specimen including the root.

#2,607 ·
I'm new to the forum and live in Miami with St. Augustine (mix of Palmetto and Seville). I use Celsius WG post-emerg and Prodiamine 65WDG for pre-emerg. This combo takes care of all my weeds except for the one pictured here, which I am having a heck of a time with. Could someone help me identify it and how to get rid of it (without getting rid of my grass!)

#2,614 ·
Hello Everyone! I am new to the forum but already loving it. There is so much great information on here. I spent a few hours last night reading through posts trying to find if anyone had posted about a weed/grass I have growing in my lawn but I could not find anything that looked like what I have.

In a small area of my yard, I have something growing that you cannot easily pull out. If you pull on the stem/blade it will just break off vs. pulling out the root system. This is because there are long runners that are 1-2 inches below the ground. When I replaced an area of grass with sod, I had to rake deep to pull out runner after runner.

Anyone know what this is?
Image of runner from underground:

Image of what grows above ground:

Thanks in advance!

#2,617 ·
stormchaser said:
I'm new to the forum and live in Miami with St. Augustine (mix of Palmetto and Seville). I use Celsius WG post-emerg and Prodiamine 65WDG for pre-emerg. This combo takes care of all my weeds except for the one pictured here, which I am having a heck of a time with. Could someone help me identify it and how to get rid of it (without getting rid of my grass!)

@stormchaser I'm dealing with the same weed/grass (also in Miami with St. Augustine). Posted the question on this thread not too long ago and haven't received any feedback. I've been searching online for ever and I can't pin point what it is :(

It already took over a considerable part of my lawn.

#2,618 ·
DOXI said:
stormchaser said:

@stormchaser I'm dealing with the same weed/grass (also in Miami with St. Augustine). Posted the question on this thread not too long ago and haven't received any feedback. I've been searching online for ever and I can't pin point what it is :(

It already took over a considerable part of my lawn.
Looks like nimblewill.

#2,619 ·
Ware said:
dfw_pilot said:
First, start with a purchase of Celsius herbicide.
I agree. Celsius WG herbicide is a postemergent herbicide with (3) active ingredients to provide control of most broadleaf and grassy weeds we encounter. A list of weeds controlled can be found on pp. 4-5 of the label linked above. Celsius is one of the few herbicides that are safe for use on warm season grasses like bermuda when temperatures are high.

At ~$100 for a 10oz bottle, it seems expensive, but a bottle will actually treat over 88,000 sq ft at the high rate. If you are maintaining proper pre-emergent control and using Celsius in a spot-spraying capacity, a bottle will likely last you many years.

A non-ionic surfactant (NIS) or methylated seed oil (MSO) may be used at 0.25% volume per volume (v/v) to improve effectiveness when temperatures are below 90F.

As always, read and understand the label before using this product.
I had a question about adding NIS and MSO to my Celsius. When you say 0.25% vol per volume. Does that mean if I make a solution of 1 gal of solution containing Celsius, I need to add 0.32 fl oz of NIS or MSO??

#2,622 ·
Hi guys. This stuff has invaded my lawn. Ideas? Long, strong, linked root system and seems to spread rapidly. Produces purple flowers on long storks.

Florida Beggarweed? (I'm in Miami.) Use Fahrenheit? Or use Celsius in combo with Certainty which I've recently purchased to battle nutsedge?

(Grass is St Augustine)

#2,623 ·
Also, how does one work out a dilution rate for each of, say, Certainty and Celsius? I'm thinking about purchasing a 4 gallon Field King Max 190348 Backpack Sprayer which has a regulator for 25psi. However I've no idea what that translates into as an application rate per square foot (even assuming a consistent walking speed).

Certainty says "1 scoop using the 0.08-gram large scoop in 2 gallons of water to treat 1,000 sq. ft." but again one needs to know the typical application per square foot from the sprayer.

Celsius says a Medium application is 0.085oz (2.4g) per 1,000 sq ft.

Do I really have to buy a measuring wheel, measure the square footage of my lawn and do a test with just water first to see how many gallons are dispersed per 1,000 sq ft with the 25psi regulator? I've heard that it is very easy to burn a lawn if the application rate is too high so I'm keen not to mess it up.