Lawn Care Forum banner

Warm Season Weed ID Thread - What is it and how do I kill it?

629K views 3K replies 578 participants last post by  Victor Von Lawn 
#1 ·
Warm Season Weed ID Thread - What is it and how do I kill it?

#3 ·
dfw_pilot said:
First, start with a purchase of Celsius herbicide.
I agree. Celsius WG herbicide is a postemergent herbicide with (3) active ingredients to provide control of most broadleaf and grassy weeds we encounter. A list of weeds controlled can be found on pp. 4-5 of the label linked above. Celsius is one of the few herbicides that are safe for use on warm season grasses like bermuda when temperatures are high.

At ~$100 for a 10oz bottle, it seems expensive, but a bottle will actually treat over 88,000 sq ft at the high rate. If you are maintaining proper pre-emergent control and using Celsius in a spot-spraying capacity, a bottle will likely last you many years.

A non-ionic surfactant (NIS) or methylated seed oil (MSO) may be used at 0.25% volume per volume (v/v) to improve effectiveness when temperatures are below 90F.

As always, read and understand the label before using this product.

#10 ·
As far as Celsius, do you already have some and a way to spray it? If you already have it, I'd just spray it, wait 10 days, and see what happens. If you don't have it, I'd invest in some. Weed ID is really only for situations where you don't have the herbicides to kill it (in a southern lawn).

#11 ·
dfw_pilot said:
As far as Celsius, do you already have some and a way to spray it? If you already have it, I'd just spray it, wait 10 days, and see what happens. If you don't have it, I'd invest in some. Weed ID is really only for situations where you don't have the herbicides to kill it (in a southern lawn).
Yes I have some Celsius, image, speedzone, msma, roundup, and some left over bayer stuff. Just wanted to make sure Celsius was the right option. I don't think it is crabgrass, but if it is, the msma would be the better choice?
I have one of the Chapin 24v backpack sprayers, but have not invested in one of your teejet setups. Hopefully the one that came with it will be ok. If not, I'll be ordering one in about a week.

#13 ·
Another thought I'd share in this thread is the idea of Grass ID vs Weed ID.​

As long as you know what type of grass you have, you then know what type of herbicides will work on it. So, start with your grass type, not your weed type. Between Pre-Emergent, Celsius, Certainty, Glyphosate, and maybe MSMA or some additives like surfactant, you should be able to kill anything in your lawn. Some herbicides work better in different grasses, but once you know your grass type, you can filter down your herbicide options to the best ones for your lawn. Once you've done that, it's just a matter of spraying the weeds properly.

Therefore, to really ID your weed, you ID your grass. The weed ID then becomes academic.

#14 ·
dfw_pilot said:
Another thought I'd share in this thread is the idea of Grass ID vs Weed ID.​

As long as you know what type of grass you have, you then know what type of herbicides will work on it. So, start with your grass type, not your weed type. Between Pre-Emergent, Celsius, Certainty, Glyphosate, and maybe MSMA or some additives like surfactant, you should be able to kill anything in your lawn. Some herbicides work better in different grasses, but once you know your grass type, you can filter down your herbicide options to the best ones for your lawn. Once you've done that, it's just a matter of spraying the weeds properly.

Therefore, to really ID your weed, you ID your grass.
Yeah I guess I forgot to mention that I have sodded Bermuda. I think it is 419.

I am going to hit it with the Celsius and I will let you know how it goes.
Unfortunately I am starting to have a sedge problem as well. I know the image will kill it, but it takes forever. Might have to get some sedgehammer as well.

#15 ·
coreymays22 said:
Yeah I guess I forgot to mention that I have sodded Bermuda. I think it is 419.
Sorry, I wasn't describing you, but helping point people in the right direction who don't already have the proper herbicides. For example, I can't name half the weeds I've found in my lawn, but I don't care, they're dead, haha.

#17 ·
dfw_pilot said:
...I can't name half the weeds I've found in my lawn, but I don't care, they're dead, haha.
Same here. I even have a fancy "Weed ID" poster hanging in my garage. It makes for a nice conversation piece, but in reality I can mix up a little Celsius or Sedgehammer in the time it takes to positively ID a weed - which I would mix up anyway after identifying the weed. :D

#21 ·
Ware said:
dfw_pilot said:
...I can't name half the weeds I've found in my lawn, but I don't care, they're dead, haha.
Same here. I even have a fancy "Weed ID" poster hanging in my garage. It makes for a nice conversation piece, but in reality I can mix up a little Celsius or Sedgehammer in the time it takes to positively ID a weed - which I would mix up anyway after identifying the weed. :D
I'm in the same group as these guys :thumbup: Even though I can identify some weeds, I just don't care anymore as Celsius will kill 90% of the weeds that I do get and now that I have Certainty I can get the other 9.9% of weeds that Celsius won't kill.