A place to discuss organic lawn care products and practices
L4Kf
Grass Type: Heinz 57
Lawn Size: Acre-plus
Mower: Tractor with mowing deck

Stump Disintegration (or Not)

Post by L4Kf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:32 pm

Hello all:

A quick search of this "Organic Lawn Care" forum for the word "stump" resulted in no hits. So I'm guessing it either hasn't come up, or, this isn't the correct board to be asking.

So, if the latter is the case, my apology; perhaps someone can redirect me to the appropriate board(s).

If the former, well....

Have a stump that I would like to remove without mechanical devices or non-organic chemicals/combos. I'm happy to use whatever I have on hand (4wd truck and ATV, as an example), but I won't be renting/buying anything to dig it up. As the Subject says, "stump disintegration," ideally I'd apply some simple, off-the-shelf and safe homemade concoction that won't sterilize the soil for 100 years, or kill wildlife that happen upon it, or otherwise leave things worse than when I started.

I'm happy (well, only sorta) to put my back (and whatever else is necessary) into getting the job done, but would like to think that there is some relatively easy mixture I can make that will be a help.

Am I dreaming, or ???

Thank you!

Miggity
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 13,250
Mower: Honda HRX 217

Re: Stump Disintegration (or Not)

Post by Miggity » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:24 pm

No results to show yet, but two weeks ago I cut down a live tree and flush cut the stump. I drilled into it until it looked like Swiss cheese and filled the holes and topped with 1/4" of Epsom salt and a tarp to protect it from rain. Supposedly it dries out the stump and stops suckering. I'll know next spring if it speeds up decomposition., but if not I'll cover it in wood chips full of mushroom mycelium.

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:01 pm

Ok...I was thinking of something along the lines of what you've done: pour some salt, or vinegar, or...whatever...into/onto the stump.

What I cut down I call a multi-stem tree (very similar to posted image; may have even been a Birch).

After I cut down this nine-legged thing, I was looking around at accessories I have for my small Allis-Chalmers garden tractor. Since this octopus-style stump protrudes above the ground some 2-3 feet, I might be able to get something hooked into it and see how much of it, if any, I can pull up/out. Just don't want to break any equipment or damage the nearby asphalt, or get myself killed.

Anyway, thanks for the idea.
Last edited by L4Kf on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buffalolawny
Grass Type: Buffalo/St Augustine
Lawn Size: 200sq mtr
Mower: Victa corvette

Post by Buffalolawny » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 pm

This might help

https://www.youtube.com › watch
Possibly The Easiest Way To Remove A Tree Stump! Using Epsom Salt!! Part 1 - YouTube

You can look up burning tree stump if thats up your alley

jabopy
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All sorts (not sure)
Lawn Size: 3456 sq ft.
Mower: 214tc Husky, Honda 536.

Post by jabopy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:19 am

I once tried stump remover powder you mix with water, drill holes in the stump 6" down and pour it in. Nothing happened, so ended up 6years later chopping it out with manual tools. The other one I mentioned in Tommy Testers burning a stump out thread. It took me two half days to dig and cut the roots out enough for me to get the lawn in.
Image. That was maybe seven years ago, hence the old picture, and I wasn't a spring chicken so it should be a lot easier for you younger people. :thumbup:

Jconnelly6b
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cool season mix
Lawn Size: 13,500 sqft
Mower: Cub Cadet XT2 42”

Post by Jconnelly6b » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:30 am

Drill holes and pour vinegar in it. Let it sit for 2 weeks. Then cover it with milo, compost, or other organic material.

You can rapidly accelerate a stump decomposition with Nitrogen and water.

It won't have much going on over the winter though.

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 pm

Buffalolawny wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:10 pm
This might help

https://www.youtube.com › watch
Possibly The Easiest Way To Remove A Tree Stump! Using Epsom Salt!! Part 1 - YouTube

You can look up burning tree stump if thats up your alley
Maybe I missed it, but I watched the first three videos and still don't know how things turned out...lol. So I moved on. Thank you anyway.

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:12 pm

jabopy wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:19 am
I once tried stump remover powder you mix with water, drill holes in the stump 6" down and pour it in. Nothing happened, so ended up 6years later chopping it out with manual tools. The other one I mentioned in Tommy Testers burning a stump out thread. It took me two half days to dig and cut the roots out enough for me to get the lawn in.
Image. That was maybe seven years ago, hence the old picture, and I wasn't a spring chicken so it should be a lot easier for you younger people. :thumbup:
Wrapped a chain around the stump and then hooked it up to the tow ball: neither the stump nor the truck moved, so...yeah. Now I know that the stump is really in there. That was my most likely mechanical option, and doing it by hand is not even on the list. :lol:

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:14 pm

Jconnelly6b wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:30 am
Drill holes and pour vinegar in it. Let it sit for 2 weeks. Then cover it with milo, compost, or other organic material.

You can rapidly accelerate a stump decomposition with Nitrogen and water.

It won't have much going on over the winter though.
Sounds reasonable; thank you.

corneliani
Grass Type: TTTF front TifTuf Bermuda rear
Lawn Size: 12500
Mower: Honda HRX rotary

Post by corneliani » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:00 pm

I don't imagine anything outside of a shrub would move without first digging around the root zone. When I clear lots to build on the graders do that even with their heavy duty machinery, unless the ground is moist and then they topple it over before cutting it down. If you want to remove that stump spend a day digging/hacking that thing out. You'll be done with it once and for all. :thumbup:
Last edited by corneliani on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L4Kf

Post by L4Kf » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:23 pm

How about a half-hour a day for two weeks? That'd be more my speed...lol.