How do various organic sources rank in terms of speed of release?

A place to discuss organic lawn care products and practices
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, FF-diff mixes
Lawn Size: 15K
Mower: Toro 22", MTD 21", Fiskars 18"

How do various organic sources rank in terms of speed of release?

Post by Green »

Things like biosolids, Protein Hydrolysate, feather meal, chicken manure, grains, etc...

Which are the slowest N sources, and how do they all rank on that scale in terms of how long they last?
Last edited by Green on Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

TheWhiteWizard
Grass Type: Kbg, Poa supina
Lawn Size: 130sqm/1400sqft
Mower: Rotary

Re: How do various organic sources rank in terms of speed of release?

Post by TheWhiteWizard »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 821498926

PDF entitled NITROGEN-PHOSPHORUS-POTASSIUM VALUES OF ORGANIC FERTILIZERS from Oregon state university
Last edited by TheWhiteWizard on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Green

Post by Green »

TheWhiteWizard wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 821498926

PDF entitled NITROGEN-PHOSPHORUS-POTASSIUM VALUES OF ORGANIC FERTILIZERS from Oregon state university

Nice link.

Now, anyone know where biosolids and Protein hydrolysates fit in?
Front: Northern mix - mostly TTTF, KBG, TTPR. Back: Firecracker and Bullseye TTTF with America, Rugby 2, Bewitched KBG. Upper Side: Mostly TTPR, KBG. Lower Side: similar to front. Low-input: TF/FF, KBG, PR. Always seeding somewhere or fighting Triv.

Green

Post by Green »

I guess I should have used the word breakdown or availability rather than release.

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI »

I'm racking my brain to recall if I ever saw biosolids listed with "organics" in a chart. Quite possibly, I have. However, most sources nowadays poo poo biosolids as not being "organic", even though they are definitely a carbon based renewable, and a great source of organic nitrogen. In fact, Milorganite removed the "organic nitrogen" verbiage from their labeling (I believe they were forced to do so). OMRI and the gov't no longer consider biosolids as "organic", and cannot be used to grow crops labeled as "organic". What a joke! A rose is still a rose, even by another name.

Sorry for the rant, but it is the truth as far as I know. If I come across a chart with biosolids and/or protein hydrolosate, I'll link to it.