A place to discuss organic lawn care products and practices
Topic Author
Deadlawn
Grass Type: Something that doesn't die
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Honda HRR 216PDA

What is your reason for going organic?

Post by Deadlawn »

Just curious what opinions on going organic for lawn care.

For me, it's for a couple of reasons:

1) Synthetic pesticides and herbicides harm much more than what they are targeted to kill. I have wetlands nearby and see toads and garter snakes in my yard. Reptiles and amphibians are very sensitive to pesticides, not to mention everything in the food chain above them. If you have kids and pets who play in the grass, there can be long term health implications for them. And of course everything eventually goes down hill into waterways.

2) Synthetic fertilizers are usually fast release which means a lot of N and P ends up not being used by the intended plants and ends up in waterways causing algae blooms. Wells can be contaminated as well. There is also a tremendous amount of fossil fuel used in the production of synthetic fertilizers.
Last edited by Deadlawn on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

M32075
Grass Type: Ft prg. Bk zoysia cool season
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Craftsman rotary

Re: What is your reason for going organic?

Post by M32075 »

I grew up near a big pond was beautiful. Now that pond is loaded with algae blooms it was my wake up call. Our main water supply is from the ground my next wake up call. Trying to do the right thing to protect it but have a nice lawn.
Front Hancock PRG ,summer tall fescue mix. Backyard zoysia and cool season mix.

Topic Author
Deadlawn

Post by Deadlawn »

M32075 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:26 am
I grew up near a big pond was beautiful. Now that pond is loaded with algae blooms it was my wake up call. Our main water supply is from the ground my next wake up call. Trying to do the right thing to protect it but have a nice lawn.
I notice you live in LI. Am I right that you have sandy soil there? That is the problem I have where I am in MA. Water drains quickly out of soil.

What is "summer tall fescue mix". Do you find that stands up to hot, dry spells and comes back in the fall?

M32075

Post by M32075 »

Deadlawn wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:05 am
M32075 wrote:
I notice you live in LI. Am I right that you have sandy soil there? That is the problem I have where I am in MA. Water drains quickly out of soil.

What is "summer tall fescue mix". Do you find that stands up to hot, dry spells and comes back in the fall?
Sandy soil I do not have it's more a problem in eastern long island. My friend has a summer house out east sandy soil using organic fertilizer has helped him maintain a better lawn nutrients don't wash out that fast. My front lawn is a mix of summer tall fescue and PRG. The summer fescue did a nice fall bounce back . The summer I got from United seed fine blades matched up nice with the PRG.

Topic Author
Deadlawn

Post by Deadlawn »

M32075 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:30 am
Deadlawn wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:05 am
M32075 wrote:

Sandy soil I do not have it's more a problem in eastern long island. My friend has a summer house out east sandy soil using organic fertilizer has helped him maintain a better lawn nutrients don't wash out that fast. My front lawn is a mix of summer tall fescue and PRG. The summer fescue did a nice fall bounce back . The summer I got from United seed fine blades matched up nice with the PRG.
Wow, I never knew about United Seeds. Thanks for the info! In the past I have ordered from Outside Pride and Hancock Seed. Did the PRG bounce back as well? I've read that PRG isn't as heat or drought tolerant as tall fescue.

I notice United also has a rhizomous tall fescue. I bought some of Barrenburg's RTF and plan on sowing that this fall along with some of the KY-31 I have leftover. Have you tried RTF's?

M32075

Post by M32075 »

PRG did not bounce back that good. Probably lost half to heat stress that's what lead me to overseed with a fescue. I haven't tried RTF,'s yet maybe next fall

Topic Author
Deadlawn

Post by Deadlawn »

M32075 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:47 pm
PRG did not bounce back that good. Probably lost half to heat stress that's what lead me to overseed with a fescue. I haven't tried RTF,'s yet maybe next fall
Do you ever use any rhizomous grasses to "knit" things together? Maybe some creeping red fescue?

M32075

Post by M32075 »

Deadlawn wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 pm
M32075 wrote:
Do you ever use any rhizomous grasses to "knit" things together? Maybe some creeping red fescue?
I would really like to do a full kill and do KBG. Just need to finally do it and stop talking myself out of it.

Topic Author
Deadlawn

Post by Deadlawn »

M32075 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:11 pm
Deadlawn wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:13 pm
M32075 wrote:
I would really like to do a full kill and do KBG. Just need to finally do it and stop talking myself out of it.
I have never had much luck with KBG. Even in NJ where I grew tall fescues and fine fescues quite easily, KBG required way more maintenance than I was willing to do. KBG is very slow to develop and is a water and nitrogen hog not to mention is one of the least heat tolerant grasses. That was my reason for choosing HB30 which is a Kentucky x Texas hybrid bluegrass - more heat and drought tolerance.......in theory. I really don't know if any of it even germinated since the fescue germinated and filled in first.

Now that we are in Sept. and cooler nights, I am seeing clumps of KY-31 coming back to life where crabgrass hasn't taken over. No evidence of any live HB30.