Topic Author
GCT_
Grass Type: St. Aug/bermuda
Lawn Size: 3000
Mower: Craftsman V60

has anyone used this?

Post by GCT_ »

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

So I found this and was wondering if anyone has used this in their lawn? It has soybean meal, which I've been reading is a good organic fertilizer. 50lbs for $15 sure sounds good to me, but I wanted to get opinions on it before I go for it.

balladinsurgency
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: Scag

Re: has anyone used this?

Post by balladinsurgency »

I would love to experiment with something like this, but doesn’t it attract critters?

Bermuda_Rooster
Grass Type: front:419 / back: Royal TXD
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Earthwise 7-Blade Push Reel

Post by Bermuda_Rooster »

GCT_ wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:19 pm

So I found this and was wondering if anyone has used this in their lawn? It has soybean meal, which I've been reading is a good organic fertilizer. 50lbs for $15 sure sounds good to me, but I wanted to get opinions on it before I go for it.
I've thought about using products like that before but was always worried about whether some of the contents (such as salt) were going to cause a problem in the soil.

Topic Author
GCT_

Post by GCT_ »

@balladinsurgency: That did come across my mind. There's always a bunch of grackles around here they might just swarm my lawn.

@Bermuda_Rooster: True, hopefully someone that has tried this can chime in. For now I'll sit on the fence on this one. Or maybe I'll go ahead and try it! Ahhh. :crazy:

Kberg84
Grass Type: Tiftuf
Lawn Size: 10,600
Mower: Rotary upgrading to reel

Post by Kberg84 »

GCT_ wrote:

I actually remember seeing a video with “doc” and he talked about putting this down in his lawn

CLT49er
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiftuf
Lawn Size: 4k
Mower: Toro recycler / Earthwise 7 bl

Post by CLT49er »

I gave it a try last year. Saw the doc video. Lol. It breaks down pretty quick once it gets wet. Didnt notice any critters. No idea if it benefits anything. Cheap and spreads nicely.

Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Toro Flex Force Model 20361T

Post by Deadlawn »

Bermuda_Rooster wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:51 am
GCT_ wrote:

I've thought about using products like that before but was always worried about whether some of the contents (such as salt) were going to cause a problem in the soil.
That was my thinking. 0.25-0.75% salts and about 0.5% P. Lots of Ca. Not much of anything else.

I think poultry manure would be of greater value.
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

BadgersFanFan
Grass Type: Cool Season | Mixed
Lawn Size: 4,100 sq. ft.
Mower: Honda HRR216

Post by BadgersFanFan »

GCT_ wrote:

@GCT_ did you end up using the DuMOR Layer Crumble Poultry Feed? If so, what were your results like? It piqued my interest after watching Doc's YouTube video on it.

Other members on this forum are having success with soybean meal, cracked corn and alfalfa pellets -- which I'm looking forward to trying out next summer.

garydasc
Grass Type: KBG, Varios fescues, Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft.
Mower: Toro electric

Post by garydasc »

I'd stay away from this and jut do soybean meal and or alfalfa, corn etc. or chicken manure. We have a feed mill in our area that sells soybean meal for dirt cheap which is the exact same thing as the expensive "Innova" from The Andersons and Home Depot sells Richlawn 100 which is just chicken manure. We also have a product here in Colorado that may be available nation wide called Revive Lawn Treatment. They have a granular that is chicken manure with soaked up Revive which is an organic wetting agent.

Topic Author
GCT_

Post by GCT_ »

Sorry for the late reply. I just got a chance to log in today. No, I didn't end up using this. Around my area we have a bunch of grackles and I thought to myself I'm gonna invite a swarm of them. They already poop all over my driveway and walkway without it! :sad:

DIY Lawn and Garden Products