A place to discuss organic lawn care products and practices
Topic Author
CowboysRDaBest-2020
Grass Type: Perennial rye
Lawn Size: 1500
Mower: Honda

Keeping it simple

Post by CowboysRDaBest-2020 »

As I get deeper and deeper into this lawn maintenance culture, I’ve notice endless products hitting the market and you tubers getting more involved in the business side of thing with sponsored products or products of there own. But my question is can I get away with just using compost and an organic fert like milo or something similar. Or do I need the RGS and humic type product to get the perfect lawn ... with 3 kids I sometimes struggle with time to keep up with a yearly program. I’m able to mow twice a week and put down milo every other week half Recommended rate. And watering of course

TroyScherer
Grass Type: TTTF mutt mix
Lawn Size: 12k
Mower: Honda HRX

Re: Keeping it simple

Post by TroyScherer »

When I step back are really look at it and analyze things I think that lawn care comes down to a 80/20 rule. You can get 80% of the results with 20% of the work. For years people have been getting by with a super simple 3 or 4 step fertilizer program with very basic work.

In my opinion all the Humics, RGS, Mico-nutrients are tools to try and get that extra 2-10% of performance out of your inputs and work. For some people its worth it and for others the time doesn't equal the results.

I do think that there a cheaper or better options for fertilizer than just Milo. A basic 12-12-12 is significantly cheaper and something like CaronEarth 8-1-8 has given me much better color and results.

Topic Author
CowboysRDaBest-2020
Grass Type: Perennial rye
Lawn Size: 1500
Mower: Honda

Post by CowboysRDaBest-2020 »

I live in New Jersey milo is 15 bucks. Jersey version is ocean gro that’s about $8.

80-20 rule makes a lot of sense.

turfman73
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7.5K sq ft
Mower: TruCut H-20

Post by turfman73 »

It’s like most things - there will always be people that choose to spend the extra time/money in pursuit of the next level.

Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Toro Flex Force Model 20361T

Post by Deadlawn »

The law of diminishing returns.
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

johnklein25
Grass Type: TTTF and Zoysia
Lawn Size: 2,000 sq ft
Mower: Honda 21"

Post by johnklein25 »

The only thing I have to add is be careful with the Milo-Only approach. It's tempting because it's so simple to use, and organic but after a while you may end up with high phos and low potassium. A simple approach = mow frequently/correctly, keep the debris off the lawn, control weeds, don't over-water, don't try to grow grass where it will never work, check your pH, phos, and potasium once a year and adjust as needed. Fertilize according to grass type.

I have bought into the "get your dirt right" philosophy and have purchased a bunch of N-Ext products..and have invested in soil tests. I'm going to use them up this year and see if my lawn seems any healthier. If so, I'll continue using them at lower rates for maintenance. If not, I'll call it a failed experiment and go back to granular. The Greene Punch seems to have done it's job so far. Jury is out on RGS and Aer8.

Most of the popular lawn youtubers have good advice, but they're definitely pushing products too. Some of the products are probably snake oil, it's just hard to tell which ones.
Honda HRX217VKA, Pro Plugger, Chameleon Hose End Sprayer, Husqvarna Pump Sprayer, Blank and Decker Grass Hog, Golden Retriever Soil Compactor/Turf Killer ;)

corneliani
Grass Type: TTTF / TifTuf
Lawn Size: 12500
Mower: HRX217HYA / TruCut C27

Post by corneliani »

I totally agree with the 80/20 comment. A few simple things that we do can completely set the tone in our lawns. I love me the idea of natural products that can help drive deeper roots & better heat tolerance (kelp? Humic acid??) and products that can help my soil tilth & nutrient holding capacity (biochar??)... but the reality is that none of that matters if I’m not 80% there already.

I wonder if we can even push that ratio to a 90/10 if we were to simply pull a soil test and use that as a guide towards what to apply. Maybe biosolids is the right option, maybe it isn’t... a soil test should shed some light on what to focus on.

tneicna
Grass Type: Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 0.25a
Mower: Honda Rotary

Post by tneicna »

CowboysRDaBest-2020 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:10 am
As I get deeper and deeper into this lawn maintenance culture, I’ve notice endless products hitting the market and you tubers getting more involved in the business side of thing with sponsored products or products of there own. But my question is can I get away with just using compost and an organic fert like milo or something similar. Or do I need the RGS and humic type product to get the perfect lawn ... with 3 kids I sometimes struggle with time to keep up with a yearly program. I’m able to mow twice a week and put down milo every other week half Recommended rate. And watering of course
Keep it simple.

- Core aeration
- Detaching <-- important
- Soil test <-- every other year or so
- Organic feeding
- Depending on your location, Liquid SWE (Seaweed extract) to help with heat tolerance.

ColeLawn
Grass Type: Weeds
Lawn Size: 1,400sf
Mower: JD 14PZ

Post by ColeLawn »

I've done some and will be doing more seeding this year, so I am all over the map, but I can't wait for next season to be able to simplify my routine.

PreM
.25#N Urea every 10 days in the spring and fall
Milo at bag rate/interval
Soil test every spring to recalibrate

DIY Lawn and Garden Products