Any opinions?

gm560
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: GM1600 / Honda HRR216

Re: Coffee Grounds for Fertiliser

Post by gm560 »

Seems like a lot of messy dirty work for what will ultimately be a pretty uneven fertilization. I use them in the garden and in the compost pile, but the lawn seems sub optimal to me.

Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Toro Flex Force Model 20361T

Post by Deadlawn »

I would like to know the effect coffee grounds have on soil pH. I put coffee grounds into my compost bin. I guess if you have a local Starbucks nearby, this could be free fertilizer.
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.

tneicna
Grass Type: Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 0.25a
Mower: Honda Rotary

Post by tneicna »

Deadlawn wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 9:36 am
I would like to know the effect coffee grounds have on soil pH. I put coffee grounds into my compost bin. I guess if you have a local Starbucks nearby, this could be free fertilizer.
Biochemist here.

Looking over the literature, Coffee Grounds are neutral pH and won't affect your soil profile much. However, some(?)/most(?) coffee grounds contain quinic acid derivatives, phenol, chlorogenic acid, hydroxycinnamic acid, which will be toxic to microorganisms et al.

See;

Kim, M.S., Koo, N., Kim, J.G.: Characteristics and recycling of spent coffee grounds. Life Sci. Nat. Res. 20, 59–69 (2012)

hammerhead
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fine fescue
Lawn Size: 2000 sqf
Mower: Manual reel

Post by hammerhead »

What about putting it in a bucket with water and let it sit for a few days to disvolve it as much as possible, then filter and use the coffee-water with a hose end sprayer? Not sure...probably it would be too much work recharging your hose end sprayer container all the time.

M32075
Grass Type: Ft prg. Bk zoysia cool season
Lawn Size: 4000
Mower: Craftsman rotary

Post by M32075 »

My wife laugh's at me every morning I throw the used coffee grinds on the back lawn
Front Hancock PRG ,summer tall fescue mix. Backyard zoysia and cool season mix.

SOLARSUPLEX
Grass Type: PRG (SS9000)
Lawn Size: F:400 S: 400 B: 1000
Mower: American Reel + Electric Rotor

Post by SOLARSUPLEX »

M32075 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:05 am
My wife laugh's at me every morning I throw the used coffee grinds on the back lawn
Started doing this when my knockbox gets full as well. Its a small amount but i figure its not going to kill anything and helps keep it out of a landfill.

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG : Hellstrip TTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 2000
Mower: Toro

Post by mobiledynamics »

I've break up my pucks and -fling- my UEG (used espresso grounds) pretty wide....as I don't want the superfine ground to land concentrated....I find that it they happen to land in one area a bit more concentrated, it tends to get hydrophobic as it's super-fine.

Bermuda_Rooster
Grass Type: front:419 / back: Royal TXD
Lawn Size: 2500 sq ft
Mower: Earthwise 7-Blade Push Reel

Post by Bermuda_Rooster »

I save my spent grounds in an old coffee container and when it starts getting full, I fling them here and there among the flower beds and the lawn. It's free OM, free nitrogen, and one less thing going to the landfill. But I make no effort to source additional grounds.

Ngilbe36
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All Cool
Lawn Size: 28500
Mower: 42in Toro

Post by Ngilbe36 »

I always put my own grounds in my compost but a few months back I started getting grounds from a nearby coffee shop. After about 20 gallons worth I stopped getting more because the amount was getting away from me. I did dry out and spread one 5 gallon bucket's worth on the lawn and it worked ok. It was a decent amount of effort though. I am back to just adding it to my compost and veg garden.

Never Winter Farms
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 12,000
Mower: Honda HRX

Post by Never Winter Farms »

I have three worm bins that I add about 40lbs of coffee grounds to each week. I pickup grounds from Starbucks every Friday. So far I have been pretty impressed with the worm castings.

I do need to scope the finished products and see if one food input is better than others?