A place to discuss organic lawn care products and practices
Topic Author
YardWork314
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: .5 acres
Mower: Riding mower

Lawn Clipping

Post by YardWork314 »

I wasn't sure what section would be best for this question, but it seems to fit here. I always hear about the usefulness of lawn clippings due to their nutrients. My back yard has thick and dark green tall fescue, and I occasionally have to rake it. I'm currently trying to amend my soil in my front yard (thin topsoil/clay/thin slow growing grass). Would their be any benefit of taking the clippings from the back yard and spreading them lightly over the front yard? Or is that a waste of time and effort?

g-man
Grass Type: Front: NoMix Back: Bewitched
Lawn Size: 5678
Mower: John Deere 220E

Re: Lawn Clipping

Post by g-man »

Way too much work to make it worth it. Just mulch mow the back.

situman
Grass Type: KBG/TTTF
Lawn Size: 4k
Mower: Ego

Post by situman »

YardWork314 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:03 pm
I wasn't sure what section would be best for this question, but it seems to fit here. I always hear about the usefulness of lawn clippings due to their nutrients. My back yard has thick and dark green tall fescue, and I occasionally have to rake it. I'm currently trying to amend my soil in my front yard (thin topsoil/clay/thin slow growing grass). Would their be any benefit of taking the clippings from the back yard and spreading them lightly over the front yard? Or is that a waste of time and effort?
If you want to add organic matter just throw down bags of Purely Organic or Milorganite if you prefer poop (which I dont).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Purely-Orga ... /204279747

Mulch the front clippings and throw down Next products, particularly their humic acid stuff.

gm560
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 6500 sqft
Mower: GM1600 / Honda HRR216

Post by gm560 »

YardWork314 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 2:03 pm
Or is that a waste of time and effort?
Yes I think it would be a lot of work to do this. In the fall you could do this with leaves, however. I have brought tarps full of fallen leaves from my front yard where they are plentiful to the back for mulching to improve the soil.

Chocolate Lab
Grass Type: Monaco bermuda
Lawn Size: 8k sf
Mower: Cal Trimmer 20, McLane 17ph7

Post by Chocolate Lab »

I think there would be some benefit if the soil is really bare, because Mother Nature hates bare soil and you would be adding organic matter.

But a better plan would be, as gm560 said, to put fallen and mulched (run over them with a mower) leaves over that area for the winter. Leaves are amazing in improving bare, cruddy soil, even in just one fall/winter.

Even better would be to make a compost pile and add the grass to the leaves, which makes a very good carbon to nitrogen ratio.

As for too much work, that's very subjective, right? :)

Ngilbe36
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All Cool
Lawn Size: 28500
Mower: 42in Toro

Post by Ngilbe36 »

Chocolate Lab wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:46 am
I think there would be some benefit if the soil is really bare, because Mother Nature hates bare soil and you would be adding organic matter.

But a better plan would be, as gm560 said, to put fallen and mulched (run over them with a mower) leaves over that area for the winter. Leaves are amazing in improving bare, cruddy soil, even in just one fall/winter.

Even better would be to make a compost pile and add the grass to the leaves, which makes a very good carbon to nitrogen ratio.

As for too much work, that's very subjective, right? :)
Can confirm moving a ton of mulched leaves to an area in summer/fall = nice dirt next spring. I had a low spot in my back yard I attempted to fill with leaves just for fun and after adding probably 6 inches of finely chopped leaves, it filled the 1-2 inch low spot after decomposing.

UltimateLawn
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,800 sqft
Mower: Honda HRX217HYA

Post by UltimateLawn »

This year I will be bagging only. I feel that the heat here in DFW with the StAug moisture is just putting too much stress on the roots. As for fall leaves…last year I bagged and put them on the curb. This year I will be mowing and bagging and placing it in beds to help with freezes and as a prep to Spring mulch.

Chris LI
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG,TTTF, FF-different mixes
Lawn Size: 5K
Mower: Snapper Hi Vac 21"

Post by Chris LI »

Back to the original question about what to do with the heavy amount of clippings. As stated earlier, mulch them in. If very heavy, side discharge and double cut perpendicular (cross hatch), and get Gator blades if you don't have them. Cut twice a week, if needed. If you applied heavy N this spring, back off next year.

Buffalolawny
Grass Type: Buffalo/St Augustine
Lawn Size: 200sq mtr
Mower: Victa corvette

Post by Buffalolawny »

Lawncology on Youtube has a video on how much clipping are worth to your lawn in relationship to how much "N" nitrogen your clippings are putting back into your lawn by not catching them.

Deadlawn
Grass Type: Tall fescue/fine fescue/clover
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: Toro Flex Force Model 20361T

Post by Deadlawn »

Buffalolawny wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:54 am
Lawncology on Youtube has a video on how much clipping are worth to your lawn in relationship to how much "N" nitrogen your clippings are putting back into your lawn by not catching them.

Cool stuff!
Tier 1 - I just want something green. Perennial "weeds" that stay green year round are welcome.