A place to discuss organic lawn care products and practices
Topic Author
Uk begginer
Grass Type: Sovereign Turf
Lawn Size: 100m2
Mower: Mountfield

Fertiliser HELP

Post by Uk begginer »

Hello all... I was wondering if I could kindly get your advice as I’m currently pretty worried!!

I had a new lawn (Turf) put in 6 weeks ago and yesterday I fertilised it using a simple drop spreader as there was rain forecast later all night. This was the fertiliser I used:

https://totalamenity.co.uk/fertilisers/ ... gKoIPD_BwE

After application it dawned on me that I used too much - Double in fact! I’m now really worried that I’m going to end up killing my lovely new lawn! It was spread out nicely not in clumps, but just too much product!

Can anybody give me some tips on what I can do to try and save my lawn please, your help is greatly appreciated!

Note: my lawn today looks the same as it was yesterday I guess because the fertiliser is some sort of slow release formula, please check the above link as to the specs of the product used.

Is there any advice on what I can do??

Miggity
Grass Type: KBG / Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 13,250
Mower: HRX 217 and JD X350

Re: Fertiliser HELP

Post by Miggity »

Since it is slow release, you should be okay. The best thing you could do at this point is to have your mower blade sharpened and also purchase a new blade so you can simply swap them out frequently and have it sharpened again without mowing downtime. You will be mowing a lot and sharp blades will damage the turf less.

Topic Author
Uk begginer

Post by Uk begginer »

Thanks for the reply Miggity, however are you saying don’t bother with giving it a soak everyday to somehow lessen the effect of the over-fertilisation?

Yes I have got a new mower blade, thanks

Topic Author
Uk begginer

Post by Uk begginer »

Also, I’m not sure if this is actually a ‘controlled release’ fertiliser as opposed to slow release? I’m not sure what difference that makes here, but still wondering if I should give the lawn lots of water everyday in an attempt to flush/dilute the fertiliser down so it won’t cause any visual or root damage etc?

corneliani
Grass Type: TTTF / TifTuf
Lawn Size: 12500
Mower: HRX217HYA / TruCut C27

Post by corneliani »

I'm not seeing a label on that fertilizer and not sure what kind of nitrogen they use and how it's controlled... but from using the suggested 25-35g/m2 rate on the bag (or approx 5 - 7#/1000 for us US folk) that 20-0-7 has a bag rate of 1-1.42#/1000. So the question now is, how much did you exactly put down?
As for watering fertilizer in order to dilute it... depending on the SRN technology used, water can actually release the nitrogen even quicker! If this was me I'd just strap in and hang on for the ride! If you see any yellowing of the turf then consider watering that area in. The salt content may need flushing out.

Miggity

Post by Miggity »

That product is not labeled as it must be in the USA, detailing the individual components, in your case nitrogen. I can see from the SDS (https://www.collier-turf-care.co.uk/fil ... %20SDS.pdf) that it is urea based nitrogen, but they do not list an amount of controlled release nitrogen. Like corneliani suggested, you are in for quite the ride.

Do not let the lawn become drought stressed, and watch for tip burn on the grass leaves. I would water if I saw tip burn or if the lawn needed water, but not just to flush the fertilizer out as that may increase the rate of release.

Topic Author
Uk begginer

Post by Uk begginer »

I believe I used double the recommended amount!

I see what you mean when you talk about giving too much water which might make things worse!

How about when to cut the lawn since the over-fertilisation? Again I’m just looking for pointers whereby I don’t make matters any worse!

Thanks

Miggity

Post by Miggity »

Of course it is both weather and nitrogen release timing dependent, but you should follow the 1/3 rule of avoiding cutting off more than 1/3 of the blade of grass. I would not be surprised if that meant you needed to cut every other day with a rotary mower set at or near the highest cut. Bagging and removing clippings will reduce the nutrients being recycled back into the lawn, something usually desirable but not in an overfertilization scenario. Perhaps now is the perfect time to start composting in order to retain the nutrients without putting them directly back onto the lawn.

AvgHomeOwner
Grass Type: Bermuda Sod Tiffway 419
Lawn Size: 4000 sq,ft
Mower: Ryobi 1+ 40v

Post by AvgHomeOwner »

If you are too concerned just go over the lawn with your mower with the bagger on, not exactly to cut the grass but just to pick up some of the fertilizer. Try it and see what you pick up.

Topic Author
Uk begginer

Post by Uk begginer »

Hi thanks for your reply and perfect time to update you guys. As it was a controlled release formula it thankfully did not kill or burn my lovely lawn! It is releasing chemicals slowly so it’s basically a lawn on steroids which means I am easily cutting it twice a week!

DIY Lawn and Garden Products