Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Topic Author
Philly_Gunner
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 27000
Mower: BigDog ZTR

Greensmaster 1000

Post by Philly_Gunner »

I’m looking at a GM 1000 and have a few questions for those in the know. The person selling it has no idea how it works, what year it is or when it was last serviced. He also didn’t understand how the reel and bedknife worked together. He just kept saying, “motor is good”. It wouldn’t cut paper, the bedknife and reel are pretty rusty and dull. I’m not sure how much work I would need to do to get it running properly. He’s asking $1500 and I feel that is too high. I offered $750 and he got offended. What do y’all think?

leifcat1
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10K
Mower: Toro GM1000 and Toro SW4200

Re: Greensmaster 1000

Post by leifcat1 »

I'm a little surprised that the guy who claims he knows nothing about the unit also seems to be an expert on how to price it.

It's too difficult to judge value based off of a single picture and no specs. If you get the model/serial number from the seller, you should be able to look up what year the unit was produced.

I'm no reel mower expert so I can't say if this is a good deal or not. (I just made my first GM1000 purchase last week and I'm still waiting for it to arrive)

I can tell you this...

The unit I just purchased was a 2010 GM1000 with an 11-blade reel (although I really wanted an 8-blade reel) It included the Kawasaki engine with 1850 hrs, grass catcher, transport wheels and headlights. The unit was being sold as-is for $500 plus included free delivery to my home in Iowa. The seller stated that if I wanted the unit fully serviced and sharpened, that was going to cost an additional $750. That brought my total up to $1250

I asked the members on this site what their thoughts were on my purchase. Good deal/Rip Off? I'm new to this stuff too and the buying process caused me severe anxiety.

Although I didn't get a definitive answer to my question, the general consensus was that it would be a good deal if I only paid $500 for the unit as-is and perform all the maintenance myself as opposed to having the unit serviced by the seller.

There are plenty of GM1000 resources available to help us service these machines. They can be found on this site, within the GM1000 user manual and even YouTube! However,I am not a mechanic, and I will never be one. (I'm 40 years old and recently became confident enough to change the oil in my rotary mower. That's about the extent of my skills)

I made the choice to have my unit serviced by the seller. The consensus on this site was that my purchase was fair, but by no means was it considered a bargain.

There are people finding these machines for $200 (sometimes less), but a lot of these folks have the skills and know-how to service and restore these units to proper working order. Am I jealous of these people? Hell yes. But paying the extra money for the serviced unit was the best decision for my personal situation.

Hopefully your situation is different than mine. Whatever you decide, good luck! I'm excited for you!

Pamboys09
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 3000
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 1600/1000

Post by Pamboys09 »

Me personally i will offer $300 - $500
If he decline, i will look for another and be patient for another opportunity.

The only time i would spend $500 or more is if the machine is in good condition. (Reel, engine, basket, transport wheels and etc)

I got my two GM's for $ 300 and $ 500, both in really good condition, with basket and transport wheels.

Topic Author
Philly_Gunner

Post by Philly_Gunner »

Thank you both for the input, much appreciated. @leifcat1 im just starting down the reel mower wormhole myself so I’m drinking out of a fire hose right now. I’m just trying to gather as much info as possible so I don’t make the wrong choice. @Pamboys09 I wish I could find some for that price. The only ones I’ve seen are on auction sites and they usually look terrible.

Nixnix42
Grass Type: Bermuda the king of grasses
Lawn Size: 5k
Mower: Toro GM1000

Post by Nixnix42 »

I have a gm 1000 very similar year to that one both have the old school “ grenade” knobs to adjust the HOC. You can of course still get parts for them 04050 Model. I wouldn’t spend more than say 350 on that machine and that’s assuming you’ll need at least a reel replacement down the road. Plenty of gm1000 out there many golf courses rotate their machines for new ones.

coolturf
Grass Type: cool, KBG, rye, fescue
Lawn Size: 10K, 1/4 acre
Mower: JD220A, JD220E GM1000, Toro 22

Post by coolturf »

Every market and every machine is different. In my market, I would say the $750 you offered is closer to the market price. That's assuming everything works and it just needs a backlapping.

Everyone likes to talk about the mower they got for $200, and that can and does happen, but sometimes its worth it to pay a little extra and get it now. If it is not a mower that is sharp and currently in use, its hard to know what you are buying. Its easy to spend several hundred dollars to get a mower back in service.

And the older Kawasaki engines on the GM1000 are a little more expensive to source parts for than average. Just paid $85 for a recoil pull start and another $85 for a new coil. That is double what you would pay for the same part on a Honda.

That said, with good care, these machines can run for decades, so if you can find one with good bones, you can keep it virtually forever.

Topic Author
Philly_Gunner

Post by Philly_Gunner »

coolturf wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:28 pm
Every market and every machine is different. In my market, I would say the $750 you offered is closer to the market price. That's assuming everything works and it just needs a backlapping.

Everyone likes to talk about the mower they got for $200, and that can and does happen, but sometimes its worth it to pay a little extra and get it now. If it is not a mower that is sharp and currently in use, its hard to know what you are buying. Its easy to spend several hundred dollars to get a mower back in service.

And the older Kawasaki engines on the GM1000 are a little more expensive to source parts for than average. Just paid $85 for a recoil pull start and another $85 for a new coil. That is double what you would pay for the same part on a Honda.

That said, with good care, these machines can run for decades, so if you can find one with good bones, you can keep it virtually forever.
Thank you, that’s some good info!

rjw0283
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 4700 SQ FT
Mower: Toro Flex 21, Craftsman POS

Post by rjw0283 »

Philly_Gunner wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:00 pm
I’m looking at a GM 1000 and have a few questions for those in the know. The person selling it has no idea how it works, what year it is or when it was last serviced. He also didn’t understand how the reel and bedknife worked together. He just kept saying, “motor is good”. It wouldn’t cut paper, the bedknife and reel are pretty rusty and dull. I’m not sure how much work I would need to do to get it running properly. He’s asking $1500 and I feel that is too high. I offered $750 and he got offended. What do y’all think?

It looks pretty nice, for pricing these things there is no standard. I looked for a few months, I ended up buying a 2002 Toro Flex 21 for 450, however it had no grass catcher, and It has limitations on HOC. The first time I mowed (today) I broke the throttle cable. (Not sure how much that is.) Anyways...
450- Mower
160- Grass Catcher
108- High Height of Cut kit
100- Just a guess for throttle cable
That is 818 bucks right there, and I am sure I am going to spend way more on other stuff that will break in the coming months (it's an 18 year old machine), and I plan on doing all the maintenance on it.
Point of the matter is, even when you read about a guy getting a 250 dollar machine like this, you never here about what it ACTUALLY Cost after all the repairs.
I bought a cheaper mower that I knew I would spend money to fix, because I enjoy making things nice again, plus it aggravates the wife!
So whether you spend 1,000 for a mower ready to go and doesn't need fixing, or you spend 250 on one that does, chances are it equals out in the end.
I do think his asking price is high though.

rjw0283
TLF Supporter
Lawn Size: 4700 SQ FT
Mower: Toro Flex 21, Craftsman POS

Post by rjw0283 »

I broke the clutch reel cable not throttle cable

Biggylawns
Grass Type: KBG/Rye
Lawn Size: 10000
Mower: (2) GM1600

Post by Biggylawns »

Hard pass from me.

I have 2 1600s. One cost 500 and one cost 250. Both had catchers and wheels. The 500 one was fully serviced during the season and had 90% reel life. The 250 one had a broken drum spindle - cost me 65 bucks to fix it. I sold one set of wheels and a catcher for 250 so basically got the 2nd one for 65 bucks. I first had a JD 180b and got that for 200.

Call/email your local golf courses and ask if they have any for sale. I contacted about 15 courses and got some leads. Golf course guys are typically nice, easy to deal with, know their machines and won't try and rip you off since they typically rotate their stuff and just want to get something for it. Additionally, they know local markets very well and price accordingly.

Topic Author
Philly_Gunner

Post by Philly_Gunner »

Biggylawns wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:01 pm
Hard pass from me.

I have 2 1600s. One cost 500 and one cost 250. Both had catchers and wheels. The 500 one was fully serviced during the season and had 90% reel life. The 250 one had a broken drum spindle - cost me 65 bucks to fix it. I sold one set of wheels and a catcher for 250 so basically got the 2nd one for 65 bucks. I first had a JD 180b and got that for 200.

Call/email your local golf courses and ask if they have any for sale. I contacted about 15 courses and got some leads. Golf course guys are typically nice, easy to deal with, know their machines and won't try and rip you off since they typically rotate their stuff and just want to get something for it. Additionally, they know local markets very well and price accordingly.
Thanks a bunch. All of these replies have been very helpful.

ChiTX2015
Lawn Size: 5500 sqft
Mower: Honda 217, JD 180C, JD 260B

Post by ChiTX2015 »

Philly_Gunner wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:00 pm

That machine could very well be worth $1,500, more like $1,200 if its in good running condition with a catcher and needs no work at all. If the same machine is newer, let's say 2010 or newer, the $1,500 is more like it. If its a newer unit with an hour meter and has 400-1000 hours on it, the price is higher, maybe even over $2,500. I wouldn't waste time offering people half their listed price. Doing so 9 times out of 10 just gets the seller offended and the discussion stops. If you really feel the mower is worth half the listed price, reach out and ask why his price is what it is. There might be a good reason why his price is high, otherwise just move on.

Yes, the Toros are more expensive because of so many pros saying they prefer Toro to JD. I don't know if the Toros are worth the higher price but I do know that the Toros are also more expensive to maintain.