Chapin 97902 24V Push Sprayer

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
cnet24
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 7k
Mower: Trucut C27

Re: Chapin 97902 24V Push Sprayer

Post by cnet24 »

Thought I would post this as others might not be aware. I was curious to see how accurate the gallon markings were on the sprayer. So I measured out one gallon of water and saw the following:

This is because the tank is angled toward the operator in its resting position, which makes it appear that there is more water in the tank than required. Because of that, if you are not adjusting to a flat surface before mixing chemicals, you may not have the proper water amount which can throw off your dilution rates. To get the water line right at one gallon, I had to add some shims totaling about 1.5” of lift to get it to read correctly:

Here is the reading after I adjust with shims to make it a level surface:

Be aware of this when using this sprayer!

mdrgolf
Grass Type: tif tuf bermuda
Lawn Size: 12,00 square feet
Mower: john deere 220 e cut hyrbid

Post by mdrgolf »

For father's day i bought myself a 97902 sprayer and today completed the mods suggested by @TulsaFan and many of you guys. Can't thank you enough. .
My thoughts after putting the 97902 together and then doing the mods. I played it safe and put the sprayer together according to the (poor) instructions included in the sprayer box. I wanted to make sure the sprayer worked as advertized before doing the mods.
For folks that follow this thread, for the 97902 model I don't think the dead man switch is a necessity.
I mounted my PVC bar to the front of the sprayer with M6 screws and nuts (just like the size that you use when you put the sprayer together. The nozzles are 20" apart and approximately 20" off the ground when i tilt the sprayer forward (I'm tall).

Now i am going to have to research spray patterns and how close to make each pass to the previous pass when i finally get to put down some PGR for the first time.

Here are some pics of the sprayer and 1 pic of my tiftuf :D

Texastwostep01
Grass Type: Bermuda Tif 419 and TifTuf
Lawn Size: 18,000
Mower: Swardman and Toro

Post by Texastwostep01 »

@mdrgolf can you show or describe in a little more detail how you attached the boom / PVC to the front of the Sprayer? It looks like you did not use the aluminum plate with drilled out holes but were still able to accomplish the sprayers 20” apart and 20” above the ground. Maybe it isn’t as far forward as using the plate but looks a lot easier and maybe works as good?

EDIT: I tried to delete but if you are reading this backwards this might save you some clicks... Okay starting around page 26, then 29 and I see the new model of sprayer and direct method mount updates. This looks much easier to install the custom boom. Thanks everyone! I’ve officially read EVERY page in this thread. Whew!!!
Last edited by Texastwostep01 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TulsaFan
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Meyer Zoysia / Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2,347 ft²
Mower: Baroness® LM56

Post by TulsaFan »

mdrgolf wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:10 pm
For father's day i bought myself a 97902 sprayer and today completed the mods suggested by @TulsaFan and many of you guys. Can't thank you enough. .

For folks that follow this thread, for the 97902 model I don't think the dead man switch is a necessity.

Congrats on getting your sprayer mods completed!!! :thumbup:

With 12,000 sq ft of lawn, I completely understand why you doubt the dead man's switch is necessary for your application.

However, I am pretty O.C.D. and the dead man's switch is a really nice option for someone with a smaller lawn. It allows for far more precision without over applying chemicals at the end of shorter runs. You can live without it, but it makes using the sprayer much more enjoyable. At some point you are going to get distracted and forget to flip the original switch and will have applied four times the chemical you intended! :o I know from my own experience! :lol:
TLF SUPPORTERS: Join the 1% in showing your support for TLF!

mdrgolf

Post by mdrgolf »

@Texastwostep01
Here's how i did it in case you still want to see it. All credit to @TulsaFan
I used the lamphus off road light horizontal mini bar clamp (.75",1.00",1.25") (picture shown)
And mounted as shown in the picture using two 6mm by 2.5" bolts and nuts (I think those are the correct sizes)
That is 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe (24" long).
Basically I bought the entire list of @TulsaFan parts. I had a few left over, but probably only $40 bucks worth of leftover parts.
Here are some close ups of the boom mount.
If you need better pictures just let me know. i ran out to the garage to take these since i just saw your post;

mdrgolf

Post by mdrgolf »

TulsaFan wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:48 am

With 12,000 sq ft of lawn, I completely understand why you doubt the dead man's switch is necessary for your application.

However, I am pretty O.C.D. and the dead man's switch is a really nice option for someone with a smaller lawn. It allows for far more precision without over applying chemicals at the end of shorter runs. You can live without it, but it makes using the sprayer much more enjoyable. At some point you are going to get distracted and forget to flip the original switch and will have applied four times the chemical you intended! :o I know from my own experience! :lol:
LOL maybe i already have been distracted. :lol: Luckily it only resulted in spraying PGR on the sidewalk.

I don't have many short runs. I think i only turned it off 5 or 6 times last time i sprayed (two of those were to catch my breath). the 12 gallon tank is perfect for 12K square feet.

TimmyTurf
Grass Type: Blue grass front fine fescue
Lawn Size: 10,000 sq ft
Mower: Toro Greensmaster 3100

Post by TimmyTurf »

Thanks Tulsafan and everyone else. I got mine and got the mods done and it works great.

Really happy with my purchase. I’m learning a few things as i go.

Ive had some clogging issues so Maybe humic and Feature need to be fine filtered as I pour it in.

What is everyone using to not get chunks in the tank? The stock strainer is too large.

mheup
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 5000
Mower: John Deere 220SL

Post by mheup »

Has anyone tried simply replacing the single spray nozel on the Chapin 97902 with their 2-Nozzle Poly Boom Wand (6-7780) to improve the spread of spray?

https://www.domyown.com/chapin-2nozzle- ... 11499.html

Seems like it should work.

WyGuy
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 9500
Mower: Toro

Post by WyGuy »

mheup wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:16 pm
Has anyone tried simply replacing the single spray nozel on the Chapin 97902 with their 2-Nozzle Poly Boom Wand (6-7780) to improve the spread of spray?

https://www.domyown.com/chapin-2nozzle- ... 11499.html

Seems like it should work.
I purchased that for my backpack sprayer and I would call it super cheap and flimsy, and would recommend building your own boom assembly.

Wolverine
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 16k
Mower: 2015 John Deere X300

Post by Wolverine »

Just bought one of these for my 15k lawn. What a timesaver over the backpack.