Toro Greensmaster & Greensmaster Flex Resources

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
ZachUA
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 13k
Mower: Toro Greensmaster Flex 21

Re: Toro Greensmaster & Greensmaster Flex Resources

Post by ZachUA »

On a Flex 21, the second roller that is between the reel and the drum - how easy should it spin? Mine feels like it has drag to it. Wondering if I need to replace the bearings or just replace the whole roller.

Bombers
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4200
Mower: Toro GM 1000

Post by Bombers »

Can anyone with calipers measure the OD of the frame support bar right in front of the reel (GM1000 OR 1600)? Mine seems to be fine without it but I have the resources to make one so why not.

RangersFC
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 5,000 sq. ft.
Mower: Toro GM 1600; Swardman 55

Post by RangersFC »

I've got a 2015 Toro GM 1600. Anyone know what the icon on the left hand side of the hours meter screen means? When I was cutting the grass the other day, it started blinking, but the owners manual doesn't say what it indicates. Thanks.

a_chan
Lawn Size: 1100 sqft
Mower: GM1000, Mclane 20"

Post by a_chan »

RangersFC wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:24 pm
I've got a 2015 Toro GM 1600. Anyone know what the icon on the left hand side of the hours meter screen means? When I was cutting the grass the other day, it started blinking, but the owners manual doesn't say what it indicates. Thanks.

Blinking means actively counting the cycles for the hours.

FATC1TY
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

RangersFC wrote:

It’s an hour glass to denote that it’s an hour meter.

RangersFC
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 5,000 sq. ft.
Mower: Toro GM 1600; Swardman 55

Post by RangersFC »

a_chan wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:41 pm
RangersFC wrote:

Blinking means actively counting the cycles for the hours.
Thanks! I noticed the blinking for the first time, and thought it was a warning of some kind. Mind at ease now :-)

a_chan

Post by a_chan »

Looking for some bedknife/reel related advice here. I've been trying to backlap for about an hour and only got it cutting paper the first 5" from the pulley. I'm assuming I might need to replace the bedknife to fix the problem, but does the reel itself have a relief grind?

cwrx82
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda and St. Aug
Lawn Size: 4k
Mower: Toro and Snapper

Post by cwrx82 »

a_chan wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:54 pm
Looking for some bedknife/reel related advice here. I've been trying to backlap for about an hour and only got it cutting paper the first 5" from the pulley. I'm assuming I might need to replace the bedknife to fix the problem, but does the reel itself have a relief grind?

Definitely need a new bedknife. If you notice at the ends of the knife, the amount of material left stands higher than where the reel was contacting it, so it’s been worn down quite a bit.

As for the reel, looks like there was only a spin grind done.

a_chan

Post by a_chan »

cwrx82 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:10 pm
a_chan wrote:

Definitely need a new bedknife. If you notice at the ends of the knife, the amount of material left stands higher than where the reel was contacting it, so it’s been worn down quite a bit.

As for the reel, looks like there was only a spin grind done.
Thanks! Any thoughts on life left on the reel? I asked prior in the thread about trying to fix the zerks as they are both installed incorrectly but figure if the reel is on it's way out I'd rather just do the replacement in a month or two for an 8 blade. Haven't looked in to who can grind and for how much around here in SoCal yet (besides the logistics since I don't own a truck).

Greendoc
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All warm season turf
Lawn Size: Acres

Post by Greendoc »

Your reel has been spin ground to the end of its life. Your bedknife is also super worn as well. Time for a new reel, and a bedknife appropriate for the height of cut you will be using the mower at.

BCliff
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 20000 Sq. Ft.
Mower: Ferris IS600z

Post by BCliff »

Greendoc wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:21 am
Your reel has been spin ground to the end of its life. Your bedknife is also super worn as well. Time for a new reel, and a bedknife appropriate for the height of cut you will be using the mower at.

Curious how you can tell it’s at the end of its life?

I have a reel (definitely at the end of its life) and the cutting blade goes almost to the vertical supports, looks like still a lot of room for the grass to go up here and get cut. New to reel mowers so really just curious.

TC2
Grass Type: Centipede/TifTuf
Lawn Size: 4500/7500sqft
Mower: Toro GM1600/Ego 21" rotary

Post by TC2 »

BCliff wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:38 am
Curious how you can tell it’s at the end of its life?
The thickness of the blade. New reels are much narrower at the tips. You can also measure the diameter. It should be a minimum of 4.5".

Bombers
Grass Type: Hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4200

Post by Bombers »

a_chan wrote:

my reel looks similar and i have probably 50% of life left. It's measured at around 4.70-4.80. I'm pretty sure you have some life left in that.

Oceanus
Grass Type: Bermuda, Princess 77
Lawn Size: 7,000
Mower: Greensmaster 1000

Post by Oceanus »

Reel isn't dead until the shop it unwilling to grind, and they'll be happy to sell you a new one ...

FATC1TY
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

That bedknife is shot. Grab a new one, and like you said if you need a new reel and bearings may as well do it. Should be less than $500 in for it all the way around.