Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Topic Author
Danno99
Grass Type: NE blend
Lawn Size: 12K sq ft
Mower: john deer

Kobalt batteries and charger

Post by Danno99 »

I'm not sure if I'm seeing things, but I swear when I charge my Kobalt 80V battery, if I don't use it right away and let it sit on the charger after charging, it seems to lose its juice? I had one battery that would last only 20 minutes so I bought a second one so I could just swap them around when one of them dies. I just went to blow the leaves and the battery that's on my charger I put into the blower, but it was dead? I took the other battery and that one was dead too?
Is this happening to anyone else, or am I hallucinating? Once the battery is charged, how long will/should it retain its power if it's not used right away?

Dan in NH

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Re: Kobalt batteries and charger

Post by Ware »

Danno99 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:32 pm
I'm not sure if I'm seeing things, but I swear when I charge my Kobalt 80V battery, if I don't use it right away and let it sit on the charger after charging, it seems to lose its juice? I had one battery that would last only 20 minutes so I bought a second one so I could just swap them around when one of them dies. I just went to blow the leaves and the battery that's on my charger I put into the blower, but it was dead? I took the other battery and that one was dead too?
Is this happening to anyone else, or am I hallucinating? Once the battery is charged, how long will/should it retain its power if it's not used right away?

Dan in NH
I’m not familiar with the Kobalt batteries, but they may have some sort of auto-discharge feature. I know my DJI drone batteries automatically discharge to around 60% if I leave them on the charger for days. It is annoying, but it supposedly helps preserve them.

BobLovesGrass
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Cool season, random mix
Lawn Size: 25,000sq ft.
Mower: 46" Craftsman YT4100

Post by BobLovesGrass »

Lithium rechargables do not like spending time near full or empty, even cars with highly sophisticated battery management systems.

ruxie88
Grass Type: F: Mazama/Bluebank B: Mix
Lawn Size: 4800
Mower: Kobalt 80-Volt Electric

Post by ruxie88 »

I have 3 batteries with two chargers. Two stay on the chargers for days. I have not had any issues. I normally use at least two every time I mow, trim and/or edge.