Garage / Shop Lighting - Watcha got?

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
MasterMech
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,000sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen GK526a

Re: Garage / Shop Lighting - Watcha got?

Post by MasterMech »

cwrx82 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:43 am
MasterMech wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:37 am
cwrx82 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:57 pm
I had the neighborhood electrician add 6 LED strips and it’s plenty bright. Definitely overkill, as it’s just your typical 2-car garage.
I'm jealous that you can get your pickup in your typical 2-car. Our house is by far the best we've ever owned. But I gave up my 870 sq ft garage (28'x31') with 11' ceilings when we moved. :cry: What they call a 2-car here will not fit my wife's minivan with my toolbox in front. :roll: (side-entry).
Yeah, typically it wouldn’t, but I had them add a 4’ extension so it would fit. And these so-called 2 car garages really only fit 2 vehicles if those vehicles are clown cars 😂

When looking for my next home, I now find myself more concerned with the contour of the lawn and garage size. The house will be a nice added feature that I sleep in.
I have a friend who built a small house on top of a massive garage. I now understand why!

metro424
Grass Type: Centipede
Lawn Size: 1.5Ac
Mower: JD2500E, MZT52

Post by metro424 »

I used https://www.prolighting.com/t443ssubcxx00p0-18w5k.html Super impressed, I had the standard 4 little incandescents in my garage and put 2 of those 4ft-3bulb led housings. They directly mount to the ceiling and are incredibly bright.

Thejarrod
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 50,000
Mower: Ferris IS700z

Post by Thejarrod »

Ive found this thread to be very helpful.
I'm going to replace 5, 4ft florescent lights with 4ft LEDs. the way i understand installation, the fixtures will be wired through each other. so does anyone know how the chain of lights will react if one burns out or gets broken? will it work like old school Christmas lights, where if one goes out, all 5 will go out?

SWB
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 2 acres
Mower: Exmark Turf Tracer

Post by SWB »

The original owner of our home had 4' florescent strip lights installed in the garage as well as in the unfinished basement.
I've been slowly replacing them with these https://www.amazon.com/Fixtures-Dayligh ... 3722301038
I like them a lot.

MasterMech
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,000sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen GK526a

Post by MasterMech »

SWB wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:19 pm
The original owner of our home had 4' florescent strip lights installed in the garage as well as in the unfinished basement.
I've been slowly replacing them with these https://www.amazon.com/Fixtures-Dayligh ... 3722301038
I like them a lot.

Sweet Ride!

SWB
Grass Type: bermuda
Lawn Size: 2 acres
Mower: Exmark Turf Tracer

Post by SWB »

MasterMech wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:04 pm
SWB wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:19 pm
I like them a lot.

Sweet Ride!
Thanks! I traded my 2305 in this past spring and picked up the 2032r. Really handy things to have around!

nwga_lawn
Grass Type: Bermuda TifTuff/Common
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: JD 2653A/220B, Kubota BX2200

Post by nwga_lawn »

There's a forum for that lol I went through the sticky threads on the forum below. Ended up using the Maxlite 4ft fixtures with the 2 LED bulbs. Butted 2 fixtures next to each other to make 8ft fixtures.

Lights my 40x48 garage well. I was skeptical at first but it turned out bright!!!

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/for ... y.php?f=30

440mag
Grass Type: Blend tall fescues
Lawn Size: 30,000sf (hills! :-/
Mower: JD X580, Bolens21”wMulchBlade

Post by 440mag »

SOLARSUPLEX wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:42 pm
@cwrx82 Do you have any idea what the specs on those lights are? You've achieved the general brightness i'm looking for.

@Mightyquinn Here are a few pics of the space. I was incorrect earlier when I claimed 13' ceilings. They are actually 11ft.
Gosh, @SOLARSUPLEX , while you’re waiting to do a reno of that space, you night want to check into these bad boys - I was skeptical but, as long as we stuck to the true 11,000 - 12,500 lumen models we LOVE ‘EM!

https://www.amazon.com/Deformable-Light ... B07MQCXYNP

You do want to read the reviews however as there is at least one we got where there is a 1-second pause between when you flip the switch to when to light actually comes on and I THINK it is this one:

Out of the three different makes we’ve ordered thus far (for a total of 6 lights) I just put that last one (the only one we got that has that “pause”) in a ceiling fixture farthest away from where you turn lights on in one of my shops and so you never notice the “pause”). Someday :roll: I’ll get around to swapping it into either the attic or crawlspace as we only turn those lights on several times in any given year ...

The other ones come on instantly and they are bright, Bright, BRIGHT! (Again, make sure you order and actually receive the 11,000 - 12,500 lumen one(s).

They have been real game changers for us, in particular spots of our property (crawlspace, attics, over shop benches, etc.) :thumbup:
When it comes to everything, anytime I edit anything it is always because I forgot something! ;)

Topic Author
SOLARSUPLEX
Grass Type: PRG (SS9000)
Lawn Size: F:400 S: 400 B: 1000
Mower: American Reel + Electric Rotor

Post by SOLARSUPLEX »

440mag wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:00 am
SOLARSUPLEX wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:42 pm
@cwrx82 Do you have any idea what the specs on those lights are? You've achieved the general brightness i'm looking for.

@Mightyquinn Here are a few pics of the space. I was incorrect earlier when I claimed 13' ceilings. They are actually 11ft.
Gosh, @SOLARSUPLEX , while you’re waiting to do a reno of that space, you night want to check into these bad boys - I was skeptical but, as long as we stuck to the true 11,000 - 12,500 lumen models we LOVE ‘EM!

https://www.amazon.com/Deformable-Light ... B07MQCXYNP

You do want to read the reviews however as there is at least one we got where there is a 1-second pause between when you flip the switch to when to light actually comes on and I THINK it is this one:

Out of the three different makes we’ve ordered thus far (for a total of 6 lights) I just put that last one (the only one we got that has that “pause”) in a ceiling fixture farthest away from where you turn lights on in one of my shops and so you never notice the “pause”). Someday :roll: I’ll get around to swapping it into either the attic or crawlspace as we only turn those lights on several times in any given year ...

The other ones come on instantly and they are bright, Bright, BRIGHT! (Again, make sure you order and actually receive the 11,000 - 12,500 lumen one(s).

They have been real game changers for us, in particular spots of our property (crawlspace, attics, over shop benches, etc.) :thumbup:

Wow thank you for this link! I just ordered 3 of those. If they don’t work or cast too harsh of shadows I’ll revert to the strip style. Pics incoming after they get here on Friday.

rjw0283
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda, PRG Overseed
Lawn Size: 5200 SQ FT
Mower: Toro Flex 21

Post by rjw0283 »

Thejarrod wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:07 pm
Ive found this thread to be very helpful.
I'm going to replace 5, 4ft florescent lights with 4ft LEDs. the way i understand installation, the fixtures will be wired through each other. so does anyone know how the chain of lights will react if one burns out or gets broken? will it work like old school Christmas lights, where if one goes out, all 5 will go out?
I replaced my 4 ft Fluorescent tubes with LED tubes. I did not change out the fixtures, I used the same ones. I took apart the fixtures and removed the ballast/starter. You'll have to fix the wiring after you remove the ballast, just get some wire nuts and go to town. There's no reason to buy new fixtures if you already have them.