Jacobsen Greens Mower Questions

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
anthonybilotta
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2200
Mower: Jacobsen PGM22

Re: Jacobsen Greens Mower Questions

Post by anthonybilotta »

About to replace the reel on my Jacobsen pgm22.

Does anyone have a how to or manual for replacement ? Any advice is appreciated !

MasterMech
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,000sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen GK526a

Post by MasterMech »

If you have your model number, Jacobsen has all the tech manuals up for download on their site.

gutowscr471
Lawn Size: 10k sq/ft
Mower: McLane, JD220sl, Toro Flex2120

Post by gutowscr471 »

just replaced 15 blade with 9 blade on Eclipse 2 122F. Everything back together as expected, but now getting a reel motor controller fault screen error and beeping. I try to backlap and continue to get that error even though the reel spins backwards a few time in between pauses. Any ideas. I was extremely careful with every part, no idea what could be going on. Through the beeping, I was able to set the blade count to 9, but that did noting.
Last edited by gutowscr471 on Sun May 16, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasterMech
TLF Supporter

Post by MasterMech »

gutowscr471 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:59 pm
just replaced 15 blade with 9 blade on Eclipse 2 122F. Everything back together as expected, but now getting a reel motor controller fault screen error and beeping. I try to backlap and continue to get that error even though the reel spins backwards a few time in between pauses. Any ideas. I was extremely careful with every part, no idea what could be going on.
Reel to knife too tight?

gutowscr471

Post by gutowscr471 »

MasterMech wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:02 pm
gutowscr471 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:59 pm
just replaced 15 blade with 9 blade on Eclipse 2 122F. Everything back together as expected, but now getting a reel motor controller fault screen error and beeping. I try to backlap and continue to get that error even though the reel spins backwards a few time in between pauses. Any ideas. I was extremely careful with every part, no idea what could be going on.
Reel to knife too tight?
@MasterMech
Nope spins freely. It starts/stops on backlap and forward with fault,. Even took the electric motor off the reel and had it on the ground next to it. Still had fault and when put in backlap it would start/stop every so many seconds and do a few revolutions. Just reattached motor again and I just re-attached all cables again, making Sure they were right, same issue. Says it could be a ground fault also. All I did was change the reel out. I also backed off then reel spring tension another half turn. Any more it will have to much play. Any other ideas?

Update: Since the error starts right away on startup , I decided to see what happens with the reel motor harness disconnected completely on startup. Same issue so it must be upstream at controller and above.

Here is a video in backlap mode.: https://youtube.com/shorts/KWGq0HvHuy8?feature=share

MasterMech
TLF Supporter

Post by MasterMech »

I wish I had more experience with the electric machines.

M311att

Post by M311att »

@gutowscr471 have you reset the controller to factory settings then change blade count? Also do you have the harness ground that attaches to the cutting unit?

IowaJoe
Grass Type: Bluegrass/Rye
Lawn Size: 3000
Mower: Jacobsen Greens Mower - 62240

Post by IowaJoe »

Hi all, new to the reel mowing experience this spring and had a couple questions. I picked up this Greens Mower (around 2000/01 according to Jacobsen) from a course I WI and I love it so far, but I am getting stragglers here and there. Reel and bedknife are in good adjustment as well. Jacobsen suggested I try a slower walking speed when mowing. HOC is 7/8" and the reel is a 9 blade. I have seen this issue with other reel mower users on youtube, etc. Would a groomer help this issue or is this just the way it goes? I have also seen brush reels in place of a groomer reel. Anyone have experience with a groomer on a older PGM or Greens Mower like this? Thanks!

gutowscr471

Post by gutowscr471 »

M311att wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 pm
@gutowscr471 have you reset the controller to factory settings then change blade count? Also do you have the harness ground that attaches to the cutting unit?
@MasterMech
I reset the blade count, even did firmware reset and then reset blade count again. Can you take a picture of the harness ground or circle it. I have the ground or metal that bolts to the reel motor within the cable, seems to mainly hold the cables in place there. I think you're talking about something else that I don't see or recall disconnecting when I took the cutting unit off. I believe it was only two connectors I removed (two connecting the reel electric motor).

MasterMech
TLF Supporter

Post by MasterMech »

IowaJoe wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:10 am
Hi all, new to the reel mowing experience this spring and had a couple questions. I picked up this Greens Mower (around 2000/01 according to Jacobsen) from a course I WI and I love it so far, but I am getting stragglers here and there. Reel and bedknife are in good adjustment as well. Jacobsen suggested I try a slower walking speed when mowing. HOC is 7/8" and the reel is a 9 blade. I have seen this issue with other reel mower users on youtube, etc. Would a groomer help this issue or is this just the way it goes? I have also seen brush reels in place of a groomer reel. Anyone have experience with a groomer on a older PGM or Greens Mower like this? Thanks!
What bedknife is on it? Swapping for a heavy section knife would likely do the most good for a PGM at 7/8". If you have a "high cut" knife on it now, lowering the HoC will actually improve the cut quality. A groomer will not help IMO and really is likely to just be ballast until you get below .250" on cool-season grass.

503460 should work for a PGM22 (Heavy or Fairway Knife) I've not tried it personally, but the knife will bolt to the bedshoe just fine. The concern would be if there's enough adjustment to fit the higher-profile knife and maintain adequate reel-to-bedknife clearance. I think the geometry of the PGM and my GK500 series machines is very similar and so my degree of confidence is very high. There is a "medium section" knife that would be better than a High Profile, but not as good as a Heavy.

503477 is the part number for a High Profile knife which is likely what you have on it currently. It should be stamped somewhere on the bottom of the bedknife. An HP knife is much happier cutting at .200-600".

MasterMech
TLF Supporter

Post by MasterMech »

gutowscr471 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:15 pm
M311att wrote:
@MasterMech
I reset the blade count, even did firmware reset and then reset blade count again. Can you take a picture of the harness ground or circle it. I have the ground or metal that bolts to the reel motor within the cable, seems to mainly hold the cables in place there. I think you're talking about something else that I don't see or recall disconnecting when I took the cutting unit off. I believe it was only two connectors I removed (two connecting the reel electric motor).
I don't have an Eclipse unit to use for a photo unfortunately.

gutowscr471

Post by gutowscr471 »

MasterMech wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:04 pm
gutowscr471 wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 12:15 pm
M311att wrote:
@MasterMech
I don't have an Eclipse unit to use for a photo unfortunately.

Does anyone else have a Eclipse 2 122f? Can you see if there are only two wires (from electric reel motor) to the rest of the wire harness or are there more wires going to the cutting unit.

TheSlowOne
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda and Fescue/Rye/Bluegra
Lawn Size: 5000sqft
Mower: Honda HRX 217/ Jake GK522A

Post by TheSlowOne »

Off of the reel motor I have this 4pin and 6pin group of wires.
It plugs into these connectors that go straight into the reel control unit.
Mind you, my reel motor doesn’t work so I don’t know if I’m missing anything lol.

gutowscr471

Post by gutowscr471 »

@TheSlowOne
I have the same connectors. I get the reel controller error/ground error right away on startup, even when with the reel motor (both connectors) disconnected. Going to do one more test (reel motor test) where you connect the reel motor to the drive motor connectors and see if it works just to rule out the motor itself. Think I need to go higher in the mower to find the issue. If it is the reel controller, anyone have a lead on where to buy one? This was working perfectly fine until I removed the the reel motor and replaced the reel and bearings on the cutting unit.

Last edited by gutowscr471 on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSlowOne
TLF Supporter

Post by TheSlowOne »

@gutowscr471 Let me know how that test goes... I've been meaning to test my reel motor that way, I just didn't want to move the engine and mounting plate to do it. The only place you can get the control box is through Jacobsen, I haven't seen any pop up on ebay lately.

gutowscr471

Post by gutowscr471 »

TheSlowOne wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:49 pm
@gutowscr471 Let me know how that test goes... I've been meaning to test my reel motor that way, I just didn't want to move the engine and mounting plate to do it. The only place you can get the control box is through Jacobsen, I haven't seen any pop up on ebay lately.
@TheSlowOne @MasterMech
Well, I took everything apart, except motor mount to swap motor connections (tomorrow task). I checked every connection/pin to make sure wasn't getting a ground short with multimeter. So far so good on every damn pin :)
Tests after checking all pins and resistors with multi meter
1. Disconnected both traction motor control unit and reel motor control unit - Both errored as expected immediately on startup.
2. Reconnected both and only reel motor control unit errors as it has been. Again this is immediate at startup.
3. Used multimeter to test pins from MCU to RCU and TCU. All resistance values matched and the correct one had the ground.
4. Put everything back together to see if anything changed and nothing. Going in backlap mode, reel stops and starts and in cutting mode, reel stops and starts (again with constant beeping about reel control unit). Will eventually throw the reel motor error icon on the screen in addition to reel control unit error icon.

Here is a video of doing backlap mode. The reel is not tight, can turn with my pinkie finger nail. Any ideas welcome.

TheSlowOne
TLF Supporter

Post by TheSlowOne »

I wish I could be of more use. I don't have much more experience with the eclipse units than you. Since the motor spins I'd be more inclined to say that it could be the control unit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gutowscr471

Post by gutowscr471 »

TheSlowOne wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:55 pm
I wish I could be of more use. I don't have much more experience with the eclipse units than you. Since the motor spins I'd be more inclined to say that it could be the control unit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
@TheSlowOne
I did the Reel motor test and reel motor worked fine. Looking for a controller now as that must be the problem. Wow that reel spun fast and it was weird with my son using the traction speed control to adjust the reel speed. Anyway, next step is to find a controller. Will report back.

IowaJoe

Post by IowaJoe »

MasterMech wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 1:01 pm
IowaJoe wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:10 am
What bedknife is on it? Swapping for a heavy section knife would likely do the most good for a PGM at 7/8". If you have a "high cut" knife on it now, lowering the HoC will actually improve the cut quality. A groomer will not help IMO and really is likely to just be ballast until you get below .250" on cool-season grass.

503460 should work for a PGM22 (Heavy or Fairway Knife) I've not tried it personally, but the knife will bolt to the bedshoe just fine. The concern would be if there's enough adjustment to fit the higher-profile knife and maintain adequate reel-to-bedknife clearance. I think the geometry of the PGM and my GK500 series machines is very similar and so my degree of confidence is very high. There is a "medium section" knife that would be better than a High Profile, but not as good as a Heavy.

503477 is the part number for a High Profile knife which is likely what you have on it currently. It should be stamped somewhere on the bottom of the bedknife. An HP knife is much happier cutting at .200-600".
Ok, thanks for the info. So at 7/8” a ‘heavy’ bedknife would be best. What would the next shorter bedknife be on the HOC progression and what HOC would you swap at? Would like to get a little lower than 7/8 by the end of the season but probably not much shorter than .75”.

Also, I ended up grabbing the gear drive kit for a groomer reel, but still need a groomer reel and a 1/4” spaced front roller to match. As I was looking at the parts and the adjustment arc on the gearbox I realized I’m cutting higher than my machine was designed for. At 7/8 HOC I’m wondering if I have enough adjustment. Anyone know what the max HOC is to still have a groomer hit turf?

IowaJoe

Post by IowaJoe »

Another question I need some help with....how do you backlap a PGM/Greens Mower? There are some reel axle caps on both sides. Right side just looks like a axle nut and I can't figure out how to remove the left axle cover that sits flush.

I brought my HOC down to 3/4" last night; lawn looks great but this height was apparently just low enough to catch my city water shutoff pipe cap. Bent one of my blades pretty bad. After trying to knock it back in I ended up filing it back to clear the bedknife. My file job wasn't perfect though and the cut is pretty rough now, barley tearing paper on a few inches with the rest of the reel cutting cleanly.

DIY Lawn and Garden Products