Lawn Care Forum banner

Triplex and Walking Mower owners question

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  socerplaye 
#1 ·
How do you guys get your reels to match up HOC between your mowers? I'll need to use my 526a in areas that I can't get my 2653b in, but matching the HOC at .75" and it looks like the 2653b is cutting shorter.

Also, any recommendations on a HOC bar? I've got one of the digital garage ones from R&R and it's driving me crazy. Having a hard time getting consistent readings and getting things matched up.

Thanks for your input!

Billy

#5 ·
Ware said:
I would guess what you're seeing is the difference between bench HOC and actual HOC. Even if you set them up with the same HOC bar, because the cutting unit on the 2653B is heavier, it's probably going to give you a more aggressive cut.
Measuring the height of the grass after cutting with the 2653B and adjusting the Jake appropriately maybe?

Thanks for the help guys!

#6 ·
Ware said:
I would guess what you're seeing is the difference between bench HOC and actual HOC. Even if you set them up with the same HOC bar, because the cutting unit on the 2653B is heavier, it's probably going to give you a more aggressive cut.
I would venture to say the individual reels on the 2653b are lighter than the walk behind mower weight - the reels on my 3100d are about 150lbs each…

Maybe try .500 on one and .550 on the other or vise versa and see what you get cut wise

#7 ·
What reel and bedknife is on the Jake?

Used to have similar issues when using a Jake Tri-plex on greens previously mowed with a Toro. The Toro units were set at .125" and the Jake .140", both gave aproximately the same HoC, but the Jake finish was better. The cutting unit setup was making all the difference. Behind center distance, bedknife angles, bed bars and rollers - all were coming into play.

At .750", you only need to get close, not going to see a .010" difference like you will on a putting green. I'd make sure the Jake at least has the Heavy (fairway) bedknife mounted, preferably with the 7-blade reel. You're trying to match up two very different cutting units and it's going to take some tinkering. Fixed-head 5" reel, smooth or tightly grooved rollers with only the front adjustable, and low ground pressure vs a floating unit with a 7" reel and adjustable front and rear rollers that rides on rollers specifically meant to penetrate the turf.

#8 ·
MrMeaner said:
Ware said:
I would venture to say the individual reels on the 2653b are lighter than the walk behind mower weight - the reels on my 3100d are about 150lbs each…

Maybe try .500 on one and .550 on the other or vise versa and see what you get cut wise
While the actual weight may not be all that different, I'm willing to bet the actual exerted ground pressure is.

#9 ·
MasterMech said:
What reel and bedknife is on the Jake?

Used to have similar issues when using a Jake Tri-plex on greens previously mowed with a Toro. The Toro units were set at .125" and the Jake .140", both gave aproximately the same HoC, but the Jake finish was better. The cutting unit setup was making all the difference. Behind center distance, bedknife angles, bed bars and rollers - all were coming into play.

At .750", you only need to get close, not going to see a .010" difference like you will on a putting green. I'd make sure the Jake at least has the Heavy (fairway) bedknife mounted, preferably with the 7-blade reel. You're trying to match up two very different cutting units and it's going to take some tinkering. Fixed-head 5" reel, smooth or tightly grooved rollers with only the front adjustable, and low ground pressure vs a floating unit with a 7" reel and adjustable front and rear rollers that rides on rollers specifically meant to penetrate the turf.
Excellent answer!! My 3100D has large curved heavy duty bedknives and walk behind had a much smaller lighter weight bedknife

#10 ·
MrMeaner said:
Ware said:

Good point, but I was thinking more along the lines of how much of the weight is balanced onto the front roller.

#11 ·
@MasterMech i recently put a new heavy bedknife on the mower and in pretty sure it has the 7 blade reel. I'll have to double check.

I'll tinker around with the heights and do a test strip and see how close I can get the two.

Thanks for the help everyone! Any pro tips on adjusting the reels easier or does it just get better with time. The QA7's are definitely nice but I've not gotten into adjust the reel to bedknife yet. Just playing around with the heights.

#12 ·
socerplaye said:
@MasterMech i recently put a new heavy bedknife on the mower and in pretty sure it has the 7 blade reel. I'll have to double check.

I'll tinker around with the heights and do a test strip and see how close I can get the two.

Thanks for the help everyone! Any pro tips on adjusting the reels easier or does it just get better with time. The QA7's are definitely nice but I've not gotten into adjust the reel to bedknife yet. Just playing around with the heights.
Based on your past pics, it does look to be a 7 count. Do you have a heavy steel front roller or is it alumium. Most of these units have the heavy fronts. If it's alum, that's another reason it could be riding higher in the turf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.