Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Topic Author
UltimateLawn
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,800 sqft
Mower: Honda HRX217HYA

Fall Leaves....Equipment Approaches

Post by UltimateLawn »

Last Fall I did a really good job of raking, but it was pretty much a weekly activity given our neighbors trees whose leaves blown onto my lawn.

I am keen to reduce my raking this year, so I was thinking about using my Honda HRX to mulch and bag the leaves weekly and then come along monthly and rake to pull excess thatch out from the St Aug stolons and blades.

Should I be looking to another piece of equipment instead of my mower or will this get the job done?

SNOWBOB11
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 3500 sq ft
Mower: JD 220E, Toro Recycler

Re: Fall Leaves....Equipment Approaches

Post by SNOWBOB11 »

I get a lot of leaves on my yard and I just mow/bag them. I don’t think you need anything else.

VALawnNoob
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Toro

Post by VALawnNoob »

The Timemaster was a saver on mulching as well as bagging leaves last year. I prefer mulch mow often to get the leaves down to tiny bits where it will feed the lawn. If you let it build up too much though I would recommend bagging the leaves until it is more manageable. Whatever you do, don't let the leaves get wet because then it becomes a harder as well as messier job

Rucraz2
Grass Type: Nomix
Lawn Size: 44,700
Mower: John Deere x540

Post by Rucraz2 »

Why don't you leave them after mulching? Your throwing away some good OM you can just leave on the lawn.

VALawnNoob
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20k
Mower: Toro

Post by VALawnNoob »

Rucraz2 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:09 pm
Why don't you leave them after mulching? Your throwing away some good OM you can just leave on the lawn.
It depends on the situation. There are times after strong winds or storm your lawn can be overwhelmed with leaves (sometimes wet) and if they get matted down they will suffocate the grass.

Rucraz2

Post by Rucraz2 »

Yes, I have had that happen. Then not having the time to get out there and take care of it before it freezes. I have mulched frozen leaves/ice chunks before haha. I don't think you can ever have too many leaves on a lawn to mulch though. My last place had two huge maples in my front yard that I literally had 2-4 ft piles covering the entire lawn. I would have to keep tilting the mower and chomp at the leaves. I never bagged any of it and it all broke down. Had to rake now and then if we had some rain and a freeze.

MasterMech
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,000sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen GK526a

Post by MasterMech »

There is no easier method than mulching the leaves into bits, even if than means 2-3 mows per week.

BurtMacklinFBI
Grass Type: Perennial Ryegrass and unknown
Lawn Size: 1/4 to 1/3 acre
Mower: Bobcat ZT2000 42"

Post by BurtMacklinFBI »

I mowed a few times a week with a push mower set up higher than normal. it mulched them up really good which also helped me fit way more into a leaf bag than I normally could. I'm a big fan of the leaf and lawn chute made to hold the bags open. I get three bags set up and just go at it till they are filled. Take a break and set up some more bags. I'm gonna use the zero turn this year with a big catcher and see how that goes. Might not be able to get em in the bag as easily as the small push mower bag but we'll see.

ickyoldman
Grass Type: unknown
Lawn Size: 6 acres
Mower: Ferris IS500z

Post by ickyoldman »

There is such a thing as too much mulch choking your grass if you live in a heavily wooded area......like me.

Rucraz2

Post by Rucraz2 »

ickyoldman wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:30 am
There is such a thing as too much mulch choking your grass if you live in a heavily wooded area......like me.
I will respectfully disagree, as I used to think this myself.

Amoo316
Grass Type: Centipede/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2acres
Mower: Scag Cheetah II 61"

Post by Amoo316 »

I'm a 100% mulch all the time person. Only time I will even consider bagging is if I'm doing a really hard scalp and trying to get to the soil. Even then I usually don't bag.

MasterMech
TLF Supporter

Post by MasterMech »

ickyoldman wrote:
My previous home was surrounded by acres of deciduous trees. Red and white oak, Maples, Hickory, you name it, we had everything except pine cones. I mulched everything that fell in the lawn and blew all of my leaves from the beds and around the house into the lawn to be mulched. The key was to get out and mow/mulch before they got too thick/heavy. Even if that meant mowing every other day for a couple weeks. (I was riding then, and could blow across the lawn in 30 mins or less.)

Thejarrod
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: 50,000
Mower: Ferris IS700z

Post by Thejarrod »

I'm a mulching fanatic, but the two mature oak trees in my front yard just put out too many big leaves. If they get too deep i use the mulching deck and a tow behind lawn sweeper at the same time. i can get a lot more in the sweeper this way. a couple passes of sweeping and now i can mulch the rest.

BurtMacklinFBI
Grass Type: Perennial Ryegrass and unknown
Lawn Size: 1/4 to 1/3 acre
Mower: Bobcat ZT2000 42"

Post by BurtMacklinFBI »

ickyoldman wrote:
this is true in my neighborhood. oaks everywhere and my neibors blow theirs to the road so they can get sucked up. 99% of those leaves just blow across the street and end up in my lawn. Even if they didn't I get way too many leaves to completely mulch and the first year in this house I choked my lawn and had tons of dead spots.

Topic Author
UltimateLawn
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,800 sqft
Mower: Honda HRX217HYA

Post by UltimateLawn »

I have a South to North prevailing wind in the neighborhood that blows my neighbor's leaves onto my yard. The only think I don't have to deal with is his live oak dropping acorns. However the squirrels are constantly burying them in my yard creating hundreds of little oak sprouts. Picking up any acorns that do land in the grass has not been able to be done with my mower so far.

I'm thinking mow, mulch and bag three times and then do a hand rake the fourth time. Then repeat. We can see how that goes.

bernstem
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10,000
Mower: Swardman Edwin, Honda HRX

Post by bernstem »

Mulch mowing is the way to go. You will be hard pressed to smother the lawn with leaf mulch. I have mulched 6+ inches of leaves into the lawn without issues. It took a couple passes, but the lawn probably loved the extra organic matter.
Bluegrass in the Transition Zone
Front: After Midnight
Back: Solar Eclipse, Bewitched (in shade)
lawn journal

Amoo316
Grass Type: Centipede/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2acres
Mower: Scag Cheetah II 61"

Post by Amoo316 »

Interestingly this thread for the most part has recommendations to mulch and leave from warm season stolon grass type owners and recommendations to bag from cool season grass type guys. May be something there, may not, just an interesting observation from the data so far.

bosox_5
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: KBG/PRG northern mix
Lawn Size: 19,000
Mower: John Deere D110

Post by bosox_5 »

Cool season lawn here. I mulch all the time. I lost the bagger in my push mower and never got one for my riding mower. I am surrounded by trees and as long as I don't let the leaves get wet and matted down I'm fine.

Ngilbe36
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: All Cool
Lawn Size: 28500
Mower: 42in Toro

Post by Ngilbe36 »

Another cool season here. I always mulch. My rear border is woods and Ive got about 12 mature deciduous trees throughout my property. Sometimes I will bag leaves from an area with more trees then re-mulch them in an area with less trees. Free carbon! Ive also bagged neighbors leaves for them and then used them in my compost. Win win.

MasterMech
TLF Supporter

Post by MasterMech »

Amoo316 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:25 am
Interestingly this thread for the most part has recommendations to mulch and leave from warm season stolon grass type owners and recommendations to bag from cool season grass type guys. May be something there, may not, just an interesting observation from the data so far.
My recommendations to mulch come from owning a 1 ac cool-season mix lawn in downstate NY surrounded by deciduous forest. And a little golf-course work up there as well.