Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Topic Author
Firecaptn185
Grass Type: Tall type fescue
Lawn Size: 10,000 sqft
Mower: Honda HRX-2175 HYA

My4Sons M4 Sprayer & N-Ext Products

Post by Firecaptn185 »

Was curious if anyone in this forum has experience using the My4sons M4 backpack sprayer with the N-Ext DIY Products and how it handles spraying the different product line from Green County Fertilizer Company.

TIA
Jim

grumpsterfire
Grass Type: FF, TTTF, KBG?
Lawn Size: 14k
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Re: My4Sons M4 Sprayer & N-Ext Products

Post by grumpsterfire »

I've put the air8, humic, microgreene and rgs through mine with the recommended water volume. Maybe a few times went a little thicker to get the product down before incoming rain. I've definitely put 2 different n-ext products per gallon per ksqft though I don't recall which I combined or at what rates. (I'd just been following the LCN recommended rates whatever they are) I had an issue only once because I left it sit in my hot garage for a few weeks and the plastic nozzle clogged. I just took it off and rinsed it with hot water and I was good to go. I think I only used the brass fan tip for microgreene, herbicide, and fungicide. The rest I used the plastic tip.

I'm itching to put some FAS through it but other things are competing for my time.

UltimateLawn
Grass Type: St. Augustine
Lawn Size: 4,800 sqft
Mower: Honda HRX217HYA

Post by UltimateLawn »

I've also done the N-Ext bio stimulant pack with the My4Sons sprayer...no issues. I use Teejet nozzles and typically go for larger volumes (2 ea 4.5 gallon tanks) across my 4,500 ft² lawn.

Also...water in these micro nutrients right after. I've found that they stain my St Aug grass blades and actually slow growth down until they are washed off of the leaf blades.

feinhorn
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7800 sq ft
Mower: Cal trimmer

Post by feinhorn »

UltimateLawn wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:58 pm
I've also done the N-Ext bio stimulant pack with the My4Sons sprayer...no issues. I use Teejet nozzles and typically go for larger volumes (2 ea 4.5 gallon tanks) across my 4,500 ft² lawn.

Also...water in these micro nutrients right after. I've found that they stain my St Aug grass blades and actually slow growth down until they are washed off of the leaf blades.
Are you using more water to do a cross pattern for better coverage or worried about too much concentration in a single area so limiting your risk with more carrier?

Mathwiz
Grass Type: 419 hybrid Bermuda
Lawn Size: 4000 sq ft. front
Mower: Honda HRX 217

Post by Mathwiz »

UltimateLawn wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:58 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Since I am new to spraying these micronutrients (Air8 once and rgs once) this makes perfect sense.

UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

feinhorn wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:06 am
Are you using more water to do a cross pattern for better coverage or worried about too much concentration in a single area so limiting your risk with more carrier?
I find that the spraying is so accurate (as compared to granules) that I do not have the need for a cross-walk pattern. The micronutrients have a very dark brown color, so it is easy to see it on the grass blades as a general feel for spray density. Variations in spray for micronutrients are not as critical as compared to pesticides, herbicides and fungicides.

I always do a pump test with water and a spray test with the water on the driveway before mixing up the chems. It helps me to visualize the spray pattern and density beforehand.

One of the nice things about the My4Sons sprayer is that it holds 4.5 gallons compared to most at 4 gallons. We get a bit more water dilution. I have 4,500 ft² so I do 2 ea 4.5 gallon tanks to give the application as much water as the tank permits without having to spend all afternoon doing more than 2 spray tanks. It seems to work fairly well.

Enjoy your sprayer journey...it has been one of the most challenging and rewarding parts of my recent lawn care improvements.

grumpsterfire
Grass Type: FF, TTTF, KBG?
Lawn Size: 14k
Mower: Toro Timemaster

Post by grumpsterfire »

Last night I did RGS and FAS at the same time. It was getting dark and I was getting impatient. I was planning to use 3oz RGS and 2.0 oz FS and 1.7 oz AS per gallon per 1ksqft. I doubled those numbers and sped up the walking pace. the brass fan tip handled it just fine. Though between the breeze and my quick pace I got more of that putrid slurry on me than I'd have liked.

UltimateLawn

Post by UltimateLawn »

Having the right tip really helps out the wind issues. If I am willing to mix more than one tank or if the flow rate is slow enough, I'll use the TeeJet TurboFloodjet tips. They put out a very large droplet size and since the RGS and FAS are designed for soil apps, the larger the drop the better. Sometimes they suggest a foliar feeding, but I haven't seen that makes a difference other than to promote grass blade staining.

Personally, I don't think I'm going the spray micro-nutrient program next year. Granular fert seems to work well enough supplemented by the usual 'ides'.