Lawn Care Forum banner

California Trimmer Reel Mower Questions

206K views 923 replies 158 participants last post by  JML 
#1 ·
http://caltrimmer.com

Do you have a California Trimmer reel mower and have a question about working on it? Do you have something to share? Ask or share here.

See less See more
#703 ·
I Bought a 1/2 link of chain, removed one link and installed the halfer and for some reason the the chain ends were just a hair too far apart, even under tension. That is when I noticed a few seized link pins, causing max length to not be achieved as the chain could not fully match the diameter of the sprockets.
Also, maybe part of my noise issue is the chain's side to side play allowing it to chew into the drive sprocket as shown. If not a contributor to the noise, likely what caused the pins to seize.

#704 ·
This thread is great! I have read all 36 pages and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 20HO model. I have 10k sqft of zoysia in SWFL. It is currently mowed to 2" weekly. My lawn service's rotary does not do a good job, leaving swirls. They follow up with a walk behind bagger but I'm still not satisfied with the job.

What height would you guys cut the zoysia to? I plan to mow ever 3 to 4 days. Would you recommend a 5 or 7 blade reel? Grass will always be damp or wet when I have a chance to cut it.

Thanks for all the amazing input on this forum.

#705 ·
schwa75 said:
This thread is great! I have read all 36 pages and I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 20HO model. I have 10k sqft of zoysia in SWFL. It is currently mowed to 2" weekly. My lawn service's rotary does not do a good job, leaving swirls. They follow up with a walk behind bagger but I'm still not satisfied with the job.

What height would you guys cut the zoysia to? I plan to mow ever 3 to 4 days. Would you recommend a 5 or 7 blade reel? Grass will always be damp or wet when I have a chance to cut it.

What type of zoysia do you have? Every three or four days is a great plan. You would be able to maintain it pretty low if there's a way she can handle it depending on variety.

Seven blade most likely.

#706 ·
@SGrabs33 I believe Empire was installed. Confirming that now. We are coming out of the rainy season now - June, July, Aug, and Sept all had over 10 inches of rain each month and headed to the dry season. The lawn is completely irrigated on well, so we can keep up with the watering needs the other 8 months. I need to do more research on the zoysia to understand its needs better.

#707 ·
schwa75 said:

2 inch and swirls means your yard is not leveled. You probably want to plan for a level as you make the switch to a reel mower.

#708 ·
schwa75 said:

@schwa75
The lower the HOC the more blades you want. I would go with a 7 if given those two choices.

#710 ·
Bombers said:
schwa75 said:

2 inch and swirls means your yard is not leveled. You probably want to plan for a level as you make the switch to a reel mower.
@Bombers we spent days and tons of man-hours leveling and pitching the yard for drainage before the new sod was put down. I threw a fit when I saw the different pallets had different thickness of sod and all that work of leveling went to waste as they mixed and matched from different pallets. I guess I am paying for that now. At least we have a lot of sand down here! Off to do my research on leveling...

#711 ·
SGrabs33 said:
schwa75 said:

What type of zoysia do you have? Every three or four days is a great plan. You would be able to maintain it pretty low if there's a way she can handle it depending on variety.

Seven blade most likely.
@SGrabs33 I confirmed that I do have Empire. Looks like is is recommended to be maintained between 1" and 2.5". I would like to be on the 1" side of that. Given that should I purchase the HC model?

Last question, buy a Briggs model today or wait at least two months for a Honda?

#712 ·
When I release the clutch on my trimmer there's a horrible high vibration noise that comes from the housing where the belt is. Something within the housing just vibrates as the reel slows down the stop after it's been going full speed. Any suggestions?

It's not the reel That's coming from the housing with the 7 logo

https://youtube.com/shorts/wHOoH43JFn8?feature=share

Also side note, what is the model number of replacement belts? Can I grab on amazon?

#714 ·
Slim 1938 said:
My 25" is making noises too. I plan on taking in so they can give it a thorough I inspection and service.
Does you come from the belt housing? I'm going to take the house and off and see if I can pinpoint exactly where it's coming from.

When getting service on these machines or diagnosing problems like that does that fall under warranty since it has two years residential? Is there a way to find authorized centers

#720 ·
schwa75 said:
SGrabs33 said:
schwa75 said:

Seven blade most likely.
@SGrabs33 I confirmed that I do have Empire. Looks like is is recommended to be maintained between 1" and 2.5". I would like to be on the 1" side of that. Given that should I purchase the HC model?

Last question, buy a Briggs model today or wait at least two months for a Honda?
1"-.2.5" is rotary mower height. Maintenance height for wide bladed Zoysia types such as Empire or El Toro is between 0.5-0.75".

#724 ·
JML said:
dubyadubya87 said:
Eight hours in on my new mower and the tension belt is splitting. I've messaged my dealer, hopefully they'll make it right.

The tensioner guide is pointing almost straight up, it should be parallel to the ground. That probably causing rubbing and belt destruction.
Which is the tensioner guide, please?

#725 ·
dubyadubya87 said:
JML said:
dubyadubya87 said:
Eight hours in on my new mower and the tension belt is splitting. I've messaged my dealer, hopefully they'll make it right.

The tensioner guide is pointing almost straight up, it should be parallel to the ground. That probably causing rubbing and belt destruction.
Which is the tensioner guide, please?