Self-Propelled battery powered mower on hilly lawn?

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Topic Author
Glen_Cove_5511
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 3,500 sq. ft.
Mower: Rotary

Self-Propelled battery powered mower on hilly lawn?

Post by Glen_Cove_5511 »

I have around 4,000 sq.ft. of lawn and 2/3 of it is on a moderate slope. Would a 20" battery powered mower work for me? If so, any suggestions on a decent mid-range mower to cut thick fescue/KBG mix? Thanks!

CorpRaider
Grass Type: TTTF/SPF-30
Lawn Size: 10000 SF
Mower: Echo Battery

Re: Self-Propelled battery powered mower on hilly lawn?

Post by CorpRaider »

I have had that Echo battery powered mower, blower, and the powerhead (with which I used PAS attachments) for sheesh, maybe 5 years now (not self-propelled). Everything has been good to go. I think I'm going to transition to the Ego stuff when the batteries start crapping out and whatnot on this one.

jedross86
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG, PRG, FF
Lawn Size: 9,250
Mower: Makita 36V 21"

Post by jedross86 »

My makita is a 21" self propelled battery powered mower and my property is on a pitch. It works great for me. It is however expensive and you may have trouble finding replacement parts/mower blades. I get through my entire lawn with plenty of battery life left (it holds 4 18V batteries; but only uses 2 at a time).

Topic Author
Glen_Cove_5511
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: 3,500 sq. ft.
Mower: Rotary

Post by Glen_Cove_5511 »

I was a little concerned about an electric mower being able to power through heavy/thick grass while mulching. Should I be?

CorpRaider
Grass Type: TTTF/SPF-30
Lawn Size: 10000 SF
Mower: Echo Battery

Post by CorpRaider »

I haven't had problems with the Echo (I think it is made at a ryobi plant, probably under a license to be honest), it adjusts when if you hit thick stuff. It does use a special, thinner blade. I usually have to change batteries to get through my ~10K depending on temps (impacts battery life) and grass thickness, wetness, etc.

IDK about those ego zero turns haha. Toro has some electric stuff now. Allyn Hane did an ego review like three years ago on his channel with his thick indy lawn. You could check that out on youtube.