Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Topic Author
RangersFC
Grass Type: Bermuda Tifway 419
Lawn Size: 5,000 sq. ft.
Mower: Toro GM 1600; Swardman 55

Swardman Edwin 2.1 rear drum split - warranty claim submitted to Landzie

Post by RangersFC »

The rear drum of my Swarman just split, and I'm still in the 2 year warranty by about a month. I was disappointed to see Reel Rollers is no longer the US rep for Swardman, and having to submit a claim to Landzie is a bit unsettling because they are an unknown to me.

The separation goes from about 1/3 inch to zero depending on how it is rolling.

I submitted to the claim to Landzie this morning, so I'll keep this forum updated on how it goes. Hopefully they will be as good as reel rollers. I'm really hoping to get continued support for Swardman, and really don't want to end up with a brick.

Anyone else submit a claim to Landzie?

Topic Author
RangersFC

Re: Swardman Edwin 2.1 rear drum split - warranty claim submitted to Landzie

Post by RangersFC »

I've been in contact with Landzie, and they've been helpful so far in trying to diagnose the problem. It's taken nearly a month of back and forth troubleshooting between clips and bolts. But this morning I was able to take the drum apart and found the welds holding the gears in place have failed. This causes the gap and the gears to slip. I've sent the pictures into Landzie, so I'm interested to hear what they say.

jimbeckel
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1/4 acre
Mower: GM1000, Allett B17

Post by jimbeckel »

RangersFC wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:38 pm
I've been in contact with Landzie, and they've been helpful so far in trying to diagnose the problem. It's taken nearly a month of back and forth troubleshooting between clips and bolts. But this morning I was able to take the drum apart and found the welds holding the gears in place have failed. This causes the gap and the gears to slip. I've sent the pictures into Landzie, so I'm interested to hear what they say.

It sure seems like the company could’ve put down a longer bead weld than what I’m seeing, an inch long bead where these welds are probably would’ve stood the test of time.

lacrossekite
Grass Type: Centipede and Zoysia
Lawn Size: 5400 sq ft
Mower: Fiskars Stay Sharp Reel Mower

Post by lacrossekite »

Curious as to why they haven’t sent you a new drum since you were under warranty?

FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

lacrossekite wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:26 am
Curious as to why they haven’t sent you a new drum since you were under warranty?
Agree. If this was during my growing season and I had a month long back and forth of diagnostics I would be near the end of my rope.

MasterMech
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20,000sq ft
Mower: Jacobsen GK526a

Post by MasterMech »

jimbeckel wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:35 pm
RangersFC wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:38 pm

It sure seems like the company could’ve put down a longer bead weld than what I’m seeing, an inch long bead where these welds are probably would’ve stood the test of time.
Those look like MIG tacks. While I'm a fan of the MIG process, it's a double-edged sword in that it's laying filler material as soon as the arc is lit. The parent materials don't have time to melt (with such a short "on" time) and you get a superficial tack like that that doesn't have much in the way of strength.

Even inch-long stitches have a pretty high chance of shrinking/warping the drum material as it appears to be steel sheet metal. That's probably why we see these little MIG tacks to begin with. There's a few ways I think it could have been done better but in the end, I'm starting understand why the heavier-duty machines are cast aluminum pieces vs welded steel assemblies.

Topic Author
RangersFC

Post by RangersFC »

Quick update - I heard from Landzie this morning, and they are going to replace the drum. Parts are a bit backed up at the moment, so we'll see how long it takes to get the replacement. I'll post an update when I get the drum.

Pretty happy that they are honoring the warranty :-)

Amoo316
Grass Type: Centipede/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 2acres
Mower: Scag Cheetah II 61"

Post by Amoo316 »

I don't have a horse in this race, but it's worth mentioning that I find it really sad to see that all of these reel separation problems that we have seen thread after thread of, could have been prevented if the bean counters stayed out of it.

I agree with what @MasterMech is saying in that a 1" bead could warp the drum, but you can use a combo of short beads and tacks to give the machine better durability (Or a different kind of welder). This forum has proven their tack method was a clear failure. It's sad to see them saving maybe $5 in time and materials was the difference between what could have been a good drum design and what they currently have.

Just sad.

FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

RangersFC wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:22 am
Quick update - I heard from Landzie this morning, and they are going to replace the drum. Parts are a bit backed up at the moment, so we'll see how long it takes to get the replacement. I'll post an update when I get the drum.

Pretty happy that they are honoring the warranty :-)
Glad they are taking care of that! Hopefully it’s quick and you can get it swapped easily. Hopefully anyone else on the fence should reach out so they can see if their welds are failing like others, and maybe be proactive before the warranty is up.