Re: John Deere greens mower Questions

Post by Pclaunch »

Herring wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:49 pm
Pclaunch wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:17 pm
MasterMech wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:15 am

There is something wrong with me (Editor: Just one?) but I do torque them for install.

I got them torqued down to 60 in-lb using the wheeler tool I poset above. took a bit to get the bedknife to reel adjusted but she was cutting good after that. I did mess up one of the bedknife adjustment collar locks though by tightening it too much

Part 22. I have a new one coming in. Anyone know the best way to get the knob all the way out to replace the collar?
I have done the same and need to order a replacement. Did you order from John Deere?Should be able to unscrew them all the way out, may have to pull the adjuster up through the collar once it’s unscrewed. There’s a good guide with pictures from @Pete1313 here.
I got the replacement from Green Farm Parts. I am going to be gentle with it from now on. Darn things are expensive for just a collar clamp.

GreenLand
Grass Type: St Augustine
Lawn Size: 1500 sq ft
Mower: Husqvarna

Post by GreenLand »

Hi all! Finally got the parts I needed to get my 180c rolling. Thanks to this guy

https://www.ebay.com/usr/generalturfequipment

who sells new and used parts and mowers. Good guy to deal with and prices are reasonable.

Looking forward to swapping the 11 blade reel and bedknife so I can cut in the 1.5-3 inch range. Anyone know of any used grasscatchers for the 180- a, b, or c?

GreenLand

Post by GreenLand »

May sound silly, but what does the groomer actually do? Is it worth the upgrade considering I plan to cut in the 1.5- 3 inch range? Thanks.

Looks like this thread has picked up a bit since I last checked😃

DFWdude
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 15,500 sq ft
Mower: 20 & 25” Cali, Honda Rotary

Post by DFWdude »

No groomer required for that HOC.
Its used to remove grain, like on a putting green
Lawn Journal; viewtopic.php?t=24210

GreenLand

Post by GreenLand »

DFWdude wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:32 am
No groomer required for that HOC.
Its used to remove grain, like on a putting green
Thanks dude!

FATC1TY
Grass Type: TifTuf Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000
Mower: GM1600

Post by FATC1TY »

GreenLand wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:40 am
Hi all! Finally got the parts I needed to get my 180c rolling. Thanks to this guy

who sells new and used parts and mowers. Good guy to deal with and prices are reasonable.

Looking forward to swapping the 11 blade reel and bedknife so I can cut in the 1.5-3 inch range. Anyone know of any used grasscatchers for the 180- a, b, or c?
How are you getting a greens mower to cut that high, and if so, why?

GreenLand

Post by GreenLand »

FATC1TY wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:48 pm
GreenLand wrote:

A member here says that all I need is a larger front roller, reel and different bed knife to cut that high. I honestly like the grass my Bermuda looks really nice and summer when it's nice and thick. Also it helps with moisture and water retention in my lawn. Honestly I'm just using a reel mower because of the better cut versus a rotary mower.

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

GreenLand wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:56 pm
FATC1TY wrote:
GreenLand wrote:

A member here says that all I need is a larger front roller, reel and different bed knife to cut that high. I honestly like the grass my Bermuda looks really nice and summer when it's nice and thick. Also it helps with moisture and water retention in my lawn. Honestly I'm just using a reel mower because of the better cut versus a rotary mower.
I think 3in is likely erroneous, but I’ll stand by to see if it works. I would be surprised if the roller change gets you 1.75 max. The reel and bedknife have little do do with “ability” to go higher, but more about the ability to a better cut at the top end of the heights.

Keep in mind the taller the grass, the “leggier” it gets. You will have to make multiple passes with your reel to get the quality of cut you desire, kind of going against the notion of a greens mower at that point.

GreenLand

Post by GreenLand »

Last couple years I kept it at 4-6 inches. Taller as the season went. I like a nice plush lawn. My next door neighbor tried to complete last year but couldn't. The HOA sent me a post card the past two summers saying great job on the yard. This year was 3-4 inches. While it may not be within the bermuda height norm it gets folks to stop and talk lol.

I agree the bedknife and reel are just to cut at said heights. Can you tell me the reason I will not be able to cut as needed? The HOC adjustment slot is like 2-3/4 inches. Would this coupled by a 3in roller not allow me to cut in the range I desire?

FATC1TY wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:35 pm
GreenLand wrote:
FATC1TY wrote:

I think 3in is likely erroneous, but I’ll stand by to see if it works. I would be surprised if the roller change gets you 1.75 max. The reel and bedknife have little do do with “ability” to go higher, but more about the ability to a better cut at the top end of the heights.

Keep in mind the taller the grass, the “leggier” it gets. You will have to make multiple passes with your reel to get the quality of cut you desire, kind of going against the notion of a greens mower at that point.

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

GreenLand wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:58 pm
Last couple years I kept it at 4-6 inches. Taller as the season went. I like a nice plush lawn. My next door neighbor tried to complete last year but couldn't. The HOA sent me a post card the past two summers saying great job on the yard. This year was 3-4 inches. While it may not be within the bermuda height norm it gets folks to stop and talk lol.

I agree the bedknife and reel are just to cut at said heights. Can you tell me the reason I will not be able to cut as needed? The HOC adjustment slot is like 2-3/4 inches. Would this coupled by a 3in roller not allow me to cut in the range I desire?

FATC1TY wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:35 pm
GreenLand wrote:

I’ll let someone else chime in, but I think you are confusing roller size with height of cut a bit. I’ll look forward to you posting 3in high reel cut bermuda with that mower if you find a way to modify it. You will have to do a lot of customization considering the stock heights those mowers are set to be used at, as you are cutting unusually high at 4-6 inches, and even then 3 is quite tall from a reel perspective.

1.25 -1.5 I think is the highest, and that might be with the “high cut kit” from what I’ve seen. Which includes changing your clip rate and the larger diameter roller.

AllisonN
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Bermuda hybrid/common 60 acres
Lawn Size: 14k-H 18k-C+60 acres
Mower: JD 260sl 220e 180sl JD z930m

Post by AllisonN »

The grass at that height would never flip back up in time to be cut.

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

AllisonN wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:18 pm
Correct, but I’m not sure where they were told a roller would make a reel cut nearly 3in. I don’t want someone to go in on that blind. I looked up the 180C. No way it’s cutting over 1.5-1.75 range of actual cut, maxed out. Would require lots of customization, and even then, not sure the lowest blade reel JD offers, but it would have to be 5-8 blades to even sniff being a half decent cut I would imagine.

GreenLand

Post by GreenLand »

AllisonN wrote:
Thank you this is good info. The stock roller is 2in, so the 3in should net 1/2" or so in bedknife height. Give or take idk. The range I was thinking was 1.5-3. So if im short an inch it wont matter much. I just have to see what I end up with. I will see where I can get with what I have now then go from there. No biggie.

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

GreenLand wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:48 pm
AllisonN wrote:
Thank you this is good info. The stock roller is 2in, so the 3in should net 1/2" or so in bedknife height. Give or take idk. The range I was thinking was 1.5-3. So if im short an inch it wont matter much. I just have to see what I end up with. I will see where I can get with what I have now then go from there. No biggie.
I’d suggest doing some cursory research on your model, and going from there. Should be pretty easy to find manuals and such online for troubleshooting as well.

I would plan for 1.5 being the absolute highest you might be able to cut, and you’ll need to get a reel blade count under 10 to aide in that high cut.

GreenLand

Post by GreenLand »

The bit I have searched the manual I have not found a HOC max. Only the min. I have a few parts on the list for next season. I'll probably backlap the current setup. Start with that and upgrade from there. Thanks.
FATC1TY wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:08 pm
GreenLand wrote:
AllisonN wrote:
I’d suggest doing some cursory research on your model, and going from there. Should be pretty easy to find manuals and such online for troubleshooting as well.

I would plan for 1.5 being the absolute highest you might be able to cut, and you’ll need to get a reel blade count under 10 to aide in that high cut.

AllisonN
TLF Supporter

Post by AllisonN »

FATC1TY wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:15 pm
AllisonN wrote:
Correct, but I’m not sure where they were told a roller would make a reel cut nearly 3in. I don’t want someone to go in on that blind. I looked up the 180C. No way it’s cutting over 1.5-1.75 range of actual cut, maxed out. Would require lots of customization, and even then, not sure the lowest blade reel JD offers, but it would have to be 5-8 blades to even sniff being a half decent cut I would imagine.
I agree with that. I just can’t see it cutting nicely at all above 1.5” unless the turf is super dense. And we all know how it becomes leggy the higher the hoc. I mow on the side and it’s hard enough for a rotary to have a clean cut on Bermuda that is definitely over 3”. Just with the rotary you have lift from the blades. Just not sure if he is really understanding that once the front roller smashes the grass it’s such a short distance before it has to be standing back up to be cut on the reel. I can’t tell you the amount of time that I can walk through a customers yard that is on the taller side and I leave footprints in it. The e cut Deere's were the only reels that have the highest hoc that JD makes.

Another thing that comes to mind is the fact that it is Bermuda and with it having stalks or 20-30 percent only being leaf tissue. Can just see the roller laying the stalks a different way on each pass. In my mind you would see stalks and the tissue folded over. Idk hopefully something will work out for him and he doesn’t end up deep in his quest.
Last edited by AllisonN on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenLand

Post by GreenLand »

GreenLand wrote:
AllisonN wrote:
Thank you this is good info. The range I was thinking was 1.5-3. So if im short an inch it wont matter much. I just have to see what I end up with. I will see where I can get with what I have now then go from there. "No biggie".
🙋🤷🤦

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

AllisonN wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 am
FATC1TY wrote:
AllisonN wrote:
I agree with that. I just can’t see it cutting nicely at all above 1.5” unless the turf is super dense. And we all know how it becomes leggy the higher the hoc. I mow on the side and it’s hard enough for a rotary to have a clean cut on Bermuda that is definitely over 3”. Just with the rotary you have lift from the blades. Just not sure if he is really understanding that once the front roller smashes the grass it’s such a short distance before it has to be standing back up to be cut on the reel. I can’t tell you the amount of time that I can walk through a customers yard that is on the taller side and I leave footprints in it. The e cut Deere's were the only reels that have the highest hoc that JD makes.

Another thing that comes to mind is the fact that it is Bermuda and with it having stalks or 20-30 percent only being leaf tissue. Can just see the roller laying the stalks a different way on each pass. In my mind you would see stalks and the tissue folded over. Idk hopefully something will work out for him and he doesn’t end up deep in his quest.
So the E-Cuts you like for the higher HOC? I’m tempted to find one to play with. High is subjective but 1in is high to me.

FATC1TY

Post by FATC1TY »

GreenLand wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:38 am
GreenLand wrote:
AllisonN wrote:
Thank you this is good info. The range I was thinking was 1.5-3. So if im short an inch it wont matter much. I just have to see what I end up with. I will see where I can get with what I have now then go from there. "No biggie".
🙋🤷🤦

Don’t be frustrated. If you get 1.5 max, be happy, it might be lower. It might be off for cutting wuality, but you can go slower, and cut it in multiple directions, and get a nice finish.

I would expect you’d like it at that length and how the grass decides to grow. It will be thicker than what you have. Just know you’ll have to alter your cultural practices a bit, and mow ALOT. It’ll work great for you.

AllisonN
TLF Supporter

Post by AllisonN »

FATC1TY wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:57 pm
AllisonN wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 am
FATC1TY wrote:

So the E-Cuts you like for the higher HOC? I’m tempted to find one to play with. High is subjective but 1in is high to me.
Not necessarily for a higher hoc. But max on them are 1.30 without GTC and 1.42 with GTC both with using a 2” roller. To me they do seem forgiving when you have grain and can get away with giving the floating head more attitude or rake to say to speak. I haven’t had any problems with the electric reel motors or controller and locking down on mowing as long as you are cutting appropriately. On undulations the floating head is awesome. I do have a 260sl and a 180sl and by far the floating head handles my undulations far better. I tend to get in a different mood each year and will use one over the other, but I do enjoy the E. One of my biggest likes of it is, that I have one switch bypassed so that I can leave the reel spinning all the time unlike the fixed heads where you have to engage the drive for the reel to spin as you know. Kinda helps on getting around things at a slower pace but easing it through them while still having full rotation on the reel. Before I bought one the dealer I use talked me out of one as my first reel because of the controller being $900 bucks if it ever messes up but I waited a few years and just rolled the dice as I wanted one and went for it. No problems so far.

You are close to me and more than welcome to take it for a bit or a spin at your place anytime you want.

The only other similar greens mower would be the jakes with the Incommand with the way that I have the E set.