Topic Author
bassmanaustin
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Front TTTF, Back Bermuda
Lawn Size: 1.1 Acre
Mower: Fiskers 18" Roller, EGO 56V

California Trimmer

Post by bassmanaustin »

Thinking about buying a California Trimmer for my Bermuda which is fairly uneven.

Will this be able to handle it or do I need to go with something like a Toro Flex?

Anyone have experience with a California Trimmer that can relate?

MMcAuliff
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 8000 sq ft.
Mower: 27” Tru Cut

Re: California Trimmer

Post by MMcAuliff »

I have used a 20” Cali Trimmer for the last four years, and it was my entry into the reel world. It was great for the first few seasons but, even after keeping well maintained, the way that it is built doesn’t allow for proper adjustments for leveling the bed knife and reel. In other words, though I took it in multiple times to get it leveled, no matter what I did it would leave each pass I made with a significant uneven cut. My lawn is also top dressed every season and I have a flat yard (see attached photo). All that to say, I just upgraded to a 27” Tru Cut and I don’t plan on going back! If you lived near Atlanta I’d gladly just give you the California Trimmer since it’s just sitting in my garage!

JayGo
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 5700 sq ft
Mower: Allett Kensington 20H

Post by JayGo »

bassmanaustin wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:52 am
Thinking about buying a California Trimmer for my Bermuda which is fairly uneven.

Will this be able to handle it or do I need to go with something like a Toro Flex?

Anyone have experience with a California Trimmer that can relate?
Just an FYI, there's a guy in Round Rock that is a Tru-Cut dealer that is supposed to have great pricing. @Hapa512 knows him and may want to chime in with more info. Might want to see about a demo to check them out. Just throwing it out there. There are plenty of folks on here who are happy with their CalTrimmer (just like with most any other brand). I foresee some lawn leveling in your future.

Theycallmemrr
Lawn Size: 20,000 sq. ft.
Mower: Cali.Trimr, Toro 1000, JD S240

Post by Theycallmemrr »

MMcAuliff wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:29 pm
I have used a 20” Cali Trimmer for the last four years, and it was my entry into the reel world. It was great for the first few seasons but, even after keeping well maintained, the way that it is built doesn’t allow for proper adjustments for leveling the bed knife and reel. In other words, though I took it in multiple times to get it leveled, no matter what I did it would leave each pass I made with a significant uneven cut. My lawn is also top dressed every season and I have a flat yard (see attached photo). All that to say, I just upgraded to a 27” Tru Cut and I don’t plan on going back! If you lived near Atlanta I’d gladly just give you the California Trimmer since it’s just sitting in my garage!

@MMcAuliff
Are you serious about giving away your Cali Trimmer? I am just outside of Athens. I would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

MMcAuliff

Post by MMcAuliff »

Dead serious brother, message me directly. I live in Lawrenceville.

Nixnix42
Grass Type: Bermuda the king of grasses
Lawn Size: 5k
Mower: Trucut C-25/H-20/Mclane beater

Post by Nixnix42 »

MMcAuliff wrote:

I'll take it :mrgreen:

Spammage
Grass Type: Zoysia/Bermuda
Lawn Size: 6000 + 4000 non-irri
Mower: McLane 25" Greenskeeper

Post by Spammage »

MMcAuliff wrote:

Just a thought, but I kept my CalTrimmer for scalping purposes because that can be hard on the reel/bedknife and it cuts shorter than the TruCut.

MMcAuliff

Post by MMcAuliff »

Never thought of that 😬 … hate to do it fellas, but @Spammage brings up a great point. I think might hold onto it for scalping purposes. Sorry!

Nixnix42
Grass Type: Bermuda the king of grasses
Lawn Size: 5k
Mower: Trucut C-25/H-20/Mclane beater

Post by Nixnix42 »

:D np that's why I have my beater Mclane

JayGo
TLF Supporter
Grass Type: Tifway 419 Bermudagrass
Lawn Size: 5700 sq ft
Mower: Allett Kensington 20H

Post by JayGo »

@bassmanaustin, correction about some of the info I provided above. The new dealer in Round Rock is a McLane dealer, NOT a Tru-Cut dealer.

By the way, is it bass as in 🎸 or is it bass as in 🎣?

Hapa512
Grass Type: Arden 15 Bermuda & Tif 419
Lawn Size: 6,500
Mower: Swardman 2.1 55

Post by Hapa512 »

JayGo wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:28 pm
@bassmanaustin, correction about some of the info I provided above. The new dealer in Round Rock is a McLane dealer, NOT a Tru-Cut dealer.

By the way, is it bass as in 🎸 or is it bass as in 🎣?
Thank you Jay, sorry about that...Brandon at Reelcuts is a Mclane Dealer. He can be reached at 512-753-9140.

Thanks again @JayGo

DIY Lawn and Garden Products