Chapin 24v backpack sprayer lid/gasket issue/leaking

Mowers, blowers & other important tools of the trade
Olkutty
Grass Type: mix, soon to be TTTF
Lawn Size: 3400 Square feet
Mower: http://bestrevie.ws/B06WVBZVCV

Chapin 24v backpack sprayer lid/gasket issue/leaking

Post by Olkutty » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:00 pm

So, I’ve messed with this thing quite a bit, and it boils down to the gasket that is attached to the strainer is clearly to thick to be able to tighten the lid tight enough not to leak. I can take the strainer/filter out, and it tightens up super tight. Is there a fix for this?

M5Pilot
Grass Type: Zoysia
Lawn Size: 1 acre
Mower: Scag Zero Turn

Re: Chapin 24v backpack sprayer lid/gasket issue/leaking

Post by M5Pilot » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:57 am

I had the same problem. Then I read if you apply some light grease around the seal or on the lid where it mates with the seal that it will solve the problem. It did for me as I got another 1/4 turn out of the lid. An email from Chapin said the same thing.

Olkutty
Grass Type: mix, soon to be TTTF
Lawn Size: 3400 Square feet
Mower: http://bestrevie.ws/B06WVBZVCV

Post by Olkutty » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:15 pm

M5Pilot wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:57 am
I had the same problem. Then I read if you apply some light grease around the seal or on the lid where it mates with the seal that it will solve the problem. It did for me as I got another 1/4 turn out of the lid. An email from Chapin said the same thing.

I tried that. No go.

Chapin is actually sending me a brand new unit and they are paying to ship my unit back to them. That’s customer service!

Ware
Site Admin
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: 7,500 sq ft
Mower: Toro GM1600

Post by Ware » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:18 pm

Olkutty wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:15 pm
I tried that. No go.

Chapin is actually sending me a brand new unit and they are paying to ship my unit back to them. That’s customer service!
Good to hear. They seem to have their fair share of issues, but they always seem to take care of folks.

Wolverine
Grass Type: KBG/PRG
Lawn Size: 16k
Mower: 2015 John Deere X300

Post by Wolverine » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:46 am

I had the same issue and applied Vaseline which fixed it. There is a breather port on top of the lid as well that will burp out some liquid if overfilled.

440mag
Grass Type: Blend tall fescues
Lawn Size: 30,000
Mower: JD X580

Post by 440mag » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:39 am

I put a light film of grease, Fluid Film or Vaseline - whatver I have handy - around that rubber gasket as a last step after each post-use cleaning not only to prevent leaking but, also just so I can unscrew the lid, in between tankful (typically takes 7 tankfuls to do my lawn :|

Every several cleanings I’ll also hit that rubber gasket “vent” in the center of the lid, as well, just to keep that rubber supple and liquid resistant

A neighbor bought his 24v unit (also via Northern Tool) on my recommendation so I was a little plussed when he came over with a wet stain down his back and asking, “Does yours leak like this?” Looking at his sprayer, there was a tiny “bump” or “ridge” of excess plastic just at the top edge of the tank mouth that evidently was enough to prevent the cap and strainer gasket from getting a good seal. Once we VERY LIGHTLY sanded that “imperfection” out, no more leaks.

Someone else I know (with a 20v model that has since gone tits up) once accidentally stepped on his strainer basket as it lay on the ground sideways and he was never able to get his to not leak, at least a little, after that. I take real good care of my strainer and gasket (it never ever even touches the ground! :lol: I don’t want to even THINK about any of the stuff I spray EVER running down my back! :-O

Hope that replacement Chaplin sends you does the trick!
Last edited by 440mag on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
When it comes to everything, anytime I edit anything it is always because I forgot something! ;)