Lawn Care Forum banner

Swardman Reel Mower Questions

235K views 1K replies 158 participants last post by  Gavin 
#1 ·

Hi everybody, who really care about your turf and admire reel mowers. Everybody knows here Tru-Cut, McLane, Cal-Trim, or brands like Toro, J.Deer,... If you are trying to choose one, check one more brand ... Swardman. Reel mowers for residents. All steel, replacable cartridges, great design, rollers, etc. If anybody would have a questions. Let me know. I use it. So I can tell or show pretty much of it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi, yes Im a representative of Swardman. Im in contact with one of your members. And he told me about this forum and that people here care about reel mowers. And how difficult it was to find our brand. That nobody knows this brand here. Which is quite normal because as I wrote before, this is the first year of Swardman here in US. So far, we are well known in Europe. I just want to show another possibility. Another half-profi machine with replacable cartridge system. If anybody would have any questions, I can answer or make some video.
And in fact, the price is comparable to Tru-Cut or Allet..can be round 2,5k

#9 ·
My question is, why should someone looking to buy a reel mower purchase your product instead of something that's made in the US with local parts availability and local customer support at the same price point? I'm not trying to beat you up don't get me wrong, just trying to determine what your value proposition is for the US market.

#10 ·
j4c11 said:
My question is, why should someone looking to buy a reel mower purchase your product instead of something that's made in the US with local parts availability and local customer support at the same price point? I'm not trying to beat you up don't get me wrong, just trying to determine what your value proposition is for the US market.
Exactly what I was thinking. The money also stays somewhat local.

#11 ·
There have been a couple post reports on this topic, but I don't necessarily have a problem with SwardmanGuy introducing/discussing their mowers here. Reel mowers are relevant to our interests, and I think everyone understands he represents the manufacturer.

#13 ·
wardconnor said:
j4c11 said:
Exactly what I was thinking. The money also stays somewhat local.
Well first of all - I think there is no comparable US reel mower at US market. If I consider Tru-Cut, McLane, Cal-Trim...none of them has the same features. I can start with cartridge system - verticutter, scarifier, (5,6,10-blades cylinderl). One machine, but complete turf care. Another advantage is sharpenning of the reel. You dont have to take the whole machine. Just remove the cassette (2minutes) and send it for sharpenning. Much more easier. Some people mention problems with plastic parts at some reel mowers. This machine has fully metal construction without plastic functional parts. Another advantage, this mower doesnt have wheels - means no wheel traces but instead of it you can have striped lawn. We use front cylinder and rear cylinder with differential. Another thing - its very neat and clean machine. No chains. Only belts....

#15 ·
I would say the drum roller drive system is a big advantage for a residential mower. In my experience, going from a TC to a Greens mower, I noticed a huge difference with the drum roller on my uneven lawn.

I like the cartridge system idea. How many hours of mow time can one expect from a 10 blade cartridge? I'm curious if it's possible to backlap the cartridge at home to get a little more use out of it before needing a full on sharpening? And what is the turn around time for a full sharpening service? I'd hate to be waiting 2-3 weeks in the mowing season for my cartridge to be mailed back after it's been sharpened.

#17 ·
Thanks for bringing this mower to the forum. We shouldn't be myopic and think that only the members live in NA. There's been some pretty epic-looking lawns that are in the EU, and AUS.

FWIW, it reminds me of the Ford Taurus that was debuted in RoboCop. Very futuristic-looking. When I watched that movie with my son a few months back, they looked pretty cheesy. That being said, your product offers some nice advantages for the homeowner looking to get a good cut, at a reasonable price.

#20 ·
j4c11 said:
Colonel K0rn said:
We shouldn't be myopic and think that only the members live in NA.
Well, before the thread was called "Swardman Reel Mower Questions" it was called "New brand of reel mowers at US market". But I will freely admit I am a little nearsighted :lol:
Fair enough! I didn't see the title prior to it being changed ;)

#21 ·
Colonel K0rn said:
j4c11 said:
Colonel K0rn said:
We shouldn't be myopic and think that only the members live in NA.
Well, before the thread was called "Swardman Reel Mower Questions" it was called "New brand of reel mowers at US market". But I will freely admit I am a little nearsighted :lol:
Fair enough! I didn't see the title prior to it being changed ;)
Sorry, I changed it - to sort of align with the other manufacturer-specific reel mower threads.

#22 ·
Redtenchu said:
Wait, in this video you have a beer holder installed? I like your mower design even more!!!
Brilliant! It looks like it is a $19 option:

I think the 55cm model would be much more desirable to most homeowners here in the U.S. Also, I like that there is a grooved front roller option, as those seem to really help prevent floating when mowing thick bermuda turf.

I priced one out as I would order it, and it was north of $3k. A little pricey compared to what I've paid for some very nice used greens mowers, but there is something to be said about being able to turn it into a verticutter for <$300... and one machine would take up less garage space.

SwardmanGuy, if you need someone in the U.S. to do an independent test and evaluation of one of these mowers on a winter overseeded bermudagrass lawn, I'm your guy. :D

#23 ·
I have to say that looking at it in more detail it has some charm. I spec a 55cm (22in) at $3120.

I was not able to find two things in the website. Is there an option for a groomer? Also, what is the weight of the machine with the metal grass catcher? I'm concern on how easy/hard it will be to turn it around.

#25 ·
g-man said:
I have to say that looking at it in more detail it has some charm. I spec a 55cm (22in) at $3120.

I was not able to find two things in the website. Is there an option for a groomer? Also, what is the weight of the machine with the metal grass catcher? I'm concern on how easy/hard it will be to turn it around.
Well we have something quite similar to a groomer. Its a brush that has quite the same meaning. Check at this video:

The weight of 55cm machine is round 55kg. And thanks to rear driven cylinder with differential which is cut in half, its very easy to turn around. Check it here...

Plus with the price. As I wrote to some another member at this forum. There is a new dealer close to Atlanta. With this new guy we have a special offer till the end of this year.
Specification:
Edwin Evo.2 - 55 (22in)
With 6-reel blade (normally is 5-reel blade)
Anthracite color (attached pictures)
Plus
Front Grooved roller
rear roller wiper
Transport casters
Cup holder
Grass Big Bag
Retail price of this complet would be normally $3,149.

Now its for $2,799. + Shipment is free of charge.
...just to know...

#26 ·
Thanks for the update and the videos. It helps me understand.

To be clear, I saw two brushes, one attached in front of the grass bucket and one attached (brush or scarifier) instead of the reel blade. Correct? A groomer is normally attached in front of the reel blade to raise the grass up for cutting. This helps KBG to go more vertical.

Could you also answer the sharpening/************ questions from redtenchu?
Redtenchu said:
I like the cartridge system idea. How many hours of mow time can one expect from a 10 blade cartridge? I'm curious if it's possible to backlap the cartridge at home to get a little more use out of it before needing a full on sharpening? And what is the turn around time for a full sharpening service? I'd hate to be waiting 2-3 weeks in the mowing season for my cartridge to be mailed back after it's been sharpened.
Again, thanks for the direct reply to help us understand the mower features.